Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Greatest Live Performance Song Ever?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 01:04

There's one I never tire of listening to: "Gimme Shelter", Wembley Stadium, Sept 9, 1973. This one, even after hundreds of listenings, still sends chills down my spine. The sad part of course is that it's only available on bootlegs, but at least some of us got to hear it on the radio broadcasts way back when.

Four years after it was released on "Let it Bleed", the band had all cylinders firing at this particular moment. It was perfect. Thankfully, it was properly recorded.

Re: The Greatest Live Performance Song Ever?
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 6, 2008 01:16

You´ve said it all,bassplayer thumbs up

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 6, 2008 01:28

Any Gimme Shelter version from 72-73 gets my rocks off!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 02:39

SFM from Gimme Shelter still kicks my ass. Too bad that radio guy has to talk over it.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 6, 2008 08:47

Greatest live performance song ever? Much as I love Gimme Shelter, I've got to go with RAMBLER!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 6, 2008 10:29

I also have to go with Rambler

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 6, 2008 11:29

I have to go with Rambler too, but Street Fighting Man in the early seventies builds up fiercely to deserve notice

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2008 12:23

Midnight Rambler at Wembley Arena Sept 1973 - late show Sept 8 - was pretty amazing. First time I saw the band and the sight of Jagger whipping the stage in fury was incredible. But the version they did on the second of the 02 Arena shows last year was pretty amazing too. So, yeah, it's got to be Midnight Rambler probably it gives them the chance to open and jam and consequently the song is never the same two nights running.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: September 6, 2008 12:50

JJF, Madison Sq Garden 72

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: September 6, 2008 12:56

Is the Wembley 1973 "Gimme Shelter" Version you are talking about the one on "Nasty Music" and "Live in Brussels"? Or is there a special "Wembley" recording?

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 13:04

Definitely Midnight Rambler - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out or Brussells Affair Version, it's definitive to me.

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: September 6, 2008 14:33

Anyone know if its the Wembley 1973 "Gimme Shelter" Version on "Nasty Music" and "Live in Brussels"?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 6, 2008 14:36

Goin' Home-Satisfaction (Paris '67)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-06 14:37 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 6, 2008 15:02

Midnight Rambler, Brussels, 1973

NO DOUBT!

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 6, 2008 17:07

god... always owned brussels of course but hadn't listened to it in a couple o years. rad this thread, put it on; midnight rambler truly is a divine revelation!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 6, 2008 17:22

Either Street Fighting Man from Ya Yas or Sympathy from Altamont.

JR

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 6, 2008 17:39

JJF from Gimme Shelter
and MR from the '72 comp, Keep Your Motor Runnin'

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 6, 2008 17:54

Street Fighting Man, Charlotte '72

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 20:01

TD, Brussels '73, Nasty Remixes version, the closing is a symphony with Jagger and Taylor driving the song to its breathtaking conclusion.

MR, Ya-Ya's, I remember seeing this for the first time. A '69 audience ambush.

LIV, Ya'Ya's (sweet) or L&G (spectacular, a great moment in band stage history) Just two of many fine ones.

JJF, pick a '69 version, preferably with a solo...the band at its musical sexiest. That whole tour is classic, prime Keith.

BBJ, MSG '72 (you know the one) (GUITARS! WHEW!) Crisp sophisticated tribute to Keith's RnR mentor.

DF, L&G will do. A proud band moment with Taylor on lead. No country parody here. It's the real thing to make pickers smile.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 6, 2008 21:05

I completely agree with the brilliance of Gimme Shelter from 1973 and their live performances in general from that period but is anyone gonna offer up anything more recent or are we saying that the band peaked 35 years ago?!
Just playing's Devil's Advocate by the way.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 21:27

ROLLINGSTONE
I completely agree with the brilliance of Gimme Shelter from 1973 and their live performances in general from that period but is anyone gonna offer up anything more recent or are we saying that the band peaked 35 years ago?!

Glad you pointed that out. No, they DIDN'T peak 35 years ago. As evidence I will point to another performance I never tire of: Midnight Rambler, Saitama 2006. It's tough to pick between this one or the 2003 performance of MR at MSG. Both are brilliant, and it's obvious that the fire still burns brightly.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 6, 2008 21:52

bassplayer617
ROLLINGSTONE

Glad you pointed that out. No, they DIDN'T peak 35 years ago. As evidence I will point to another performance I never tire of: Midnight Rambler, Saitama 2006. It's tough to pick between this one or the 2003 performance of MR at MSG. Both are brilliant, and it's obvious that the fire still burns brightly.

Evidence accepted and conclusive Bassplayer.

I'd also pinpoint a version of 'CYHMK' Glasgow SECC 1.9.03. Loved it at the gig but afterwards started to doubt what I'd heard and wondered if it really had been that good. Several months later I picked up the boot and it left me in no doubt. Wouldn't be bold enough to say that it was the greatest live perfomance ever but unless you've been to every single show the Stones have ever done I don't suppose anyone's in the position to give a definitive answer.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:14

Midnight Rambler is a song that they can always pull of incredible versions of. The 69 versions are amazing. Then years later they blow you away at MSG in 2003.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:17

for SFM I think I have to go with the 69 tour over 72-78.. When It built up at the end and they played it really fast, thats cool and all but a bit over the top when compared to the 69 version.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:42

Midnight Rambler from Brussels Affair for me!

second place to either Sympathy or YCAGWYW on Rock and Roll Circus

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:45

Doctor Dear!
JJF from Gimme Shelter

"Midnight Rambler" isn't actually on KYMR. You must be thinking of another '72 tour compilation.

My personal favorite is the version from Ft. Worth 6/24/72 2nd show. It can be found on various bootleg compilations such as the Decca Unreleased 1972 Live Album and Philadelphia Special.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:46

Midnight Rambler, any tour,any night.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:55

Isn't that great version of "Gimme Shelter" that everybody is talking about actually from Wembley Empire Pool, not Wembley Stadium as was stated earlier in the thread?

I think those U.K. shows early in the Stones '73 European tour were a peak period for them. The Wembley shows were especially good. I think they sort of lost something as the tour went on. Some of the German shows in the middle of the tour were subpar, but they seemed to get it together again towards the end of the tour, as evidenced by the excellent performances in Brussels. I think the end of the '73 European tour might be the absolute peak of the Stones as a live band.

The last month of the '72 North American tour was also absolutely excellent.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 6, 2008 22:58

The 1973 European Tour was a strange thing; at some shows - especially late Sept/early Oct - they sounded like they were bored....not just bored of the tour, but about the direction they were heading and the band they were playing with.... Blaming it on "Taylor and his noodling" like some does, makes no sense. Even Jagger seemed tired and out of it....even on songs like Midnight Rambler...he makes the song sound like a comedy...sounding ironic in his phrasing. While other shows, especially the UK ones - and the very last shows - they are 10 stars all the way. Other tours also had ups and downs...and 1975 & 1978 (especially) had this "hit or miss" thing. But 1973 is special - because it sounded like they didn't give a damn at certain nights, and it wasn't because of them being "out of it", either. Then again; listen to any of the 2 Frankfurt 1973 shows; which were in the middle of the "bad part" of that tour....they were on fire. I'll bet there were some discussions and fights going on during that tour, during the travels/stays. Maybe the energy of Frankfurt had something to do with Bobby being left behind in Munich - so they didn't pay too much attention of the struggles and difficulties between themselves (the 5 Stones)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-07 20:27 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 6, 2008 23:42

Tumblin_Dice_07
Doctor Dear!
JJF from Gimme Shelter

"Midnight Rambler" isn't actually on KYMR. You must be thinking of another '72 tour compilation.

Well, its on my copy!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home