Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can Keith lift his standard in the year 2009
Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: September 5, 2008 16:52

Keith was bit down last year.He wasn't up to his standards as we expect from from.Do you feel he lift his standard in the 2009

Re: Can Keith lift his standard in the year 2009
Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: September 5, 2008 16:54

Consider the obvious trend 1999-2007, and you have your answer.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 5, 2008 17:04

kinoliksmith
...as we expect...

We? I had No Expations and I found Satisfaction in every show I saw.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 5, 2008 17:08

Do we know for sure that he'll even be doing anything in 2009?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 5, 2008 17:22

it's all about the arthritis in his hands !

Date: September 5, 2008 17:26

The Greek

That's what I suspect (and probably the same reason Chuck Berry doesn't play so precisely these days).

Date: September 5, 2008 17:26

The Greek

Well if this the case you gotta hand it to the guy for not trying to make excuses!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 5, 2008 18:10

I believe he'll come back in better nick the next time out.
He was understandably out of sorts and not in the best shape following his head injury and surgery...for various inter-related reasons I suspect.
He was definitely on the way back towards the end of the ABB tour and it's maybe a pity that he didn't have the luxury of a few more months to recover and regroup his full faculties following his misadventure.
I rather suspect [without any real evidence I accept] that side effects of post op medication gave him a few balance and coordination problems. The net result was a bit like those occasions over the years when he's gone on stage a bit over lubricated.It may also be that enforced "lifestyle changes" and necessary adjustment also took its toll.
Keith's performances on a technical level have always been erratic and he's always seemed to pass through good and not so good phases.
I think we'll see plenty more great performances from Keith before he's finished.;^)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2008 18:34

The Greek
True, and unfortunately there's no way to reverse the damage.
Probably open tuning using only his index finger for a bar chord by then.

Date: September 5, 2008 18:43

Hairball
The Greek
True, and unfortunately there's no way to reverse the damage.
Probably open tuning using only his index finger for a bar chord by then.

Barry Gibb has been forced to use open tuning to play chords for years due to arthritis, but (if this is his problem) I don't believe Keith has it anywhere near as bad.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 5, 2008 18:45

Well Keith started playing his constant lead lick in the year 1989 and in the year 1990. Then in the year 1994 he started getting sloppy. But it seems in the year 1995 he may have tightened up. And in the year 1996 too. I think with BTB in the year 1997 he found some new ground as with that tour and No Security. I guess after the break in the year 1999 to 2002 with Licks being fantastic must have helped him a bit. But from what I can tell after Licks he fell of his guitar in 2005 with the A Bigger Bang tour and on through 2006 and 2007. So my hopes for him to play like he did earlier on for some tour that is wished upon by fans but probably not going to happen in 2009 is that he will have a very difficult time by then playing, as obviously any time beyond that too.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: September 5, 2008 18:56

The Greek

And the drinking.

Date: September 5, 2008 20:32

Let the guy retire and enjoy the fruits of his labours. He owes us nothing.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 5, 2008 20:36

Sir Craven of Cottage

true, on the one hand.

on the other hand, if the stones are gonna tour next yeah (and that's a pretty big if), they owe a decent show to the people who pay 100+ quid to see them. to you and to me. don't get me wrong, i've never been bitching about any of their past performances (although i was disappointed a few times) but i don't want to se them literally dying on stage like the sad old chuck berry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-05 20:38 by therollingmanu.

Date: September 5, 2008 22:23

I think it's more safe now then ever in the past to say that if the Stones do tour again it will probably be the last one. That is going to happen. I think at some point people will stop buying tickets to see them - except for those that are die hards or want to witness a bunch of truly old people - say they tour when they are 80 for shits sake - and it becomes a travelling freak show in that sense.

I dunno if I'll ever see them again - I'm just never near where they play anymore. And watch them come to New Orleans or Mobile when I'm on tour. @#$%&.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 5, 2008 22:28

skipstone
I think it's more safe now then ever in the past to say that if the Stones do tour again it will probably be the last one. That is going to happen. I think at some point people will stop buying tickets to see them - except for those that are die hards or want to witness a bunch of truly old people - say they tour when they are 80 for shits sake - and it becomes a travelling freak show in that sense.

I dunno if I'll ever see them again - I'm just never near where they play anymore. And watch them come to New Orleans or Mobile when I'm on tour. @#$%&.

Weren't members of the Buena Social Club in thier 80's and 90's when Ry Cooder got involved with them.
Or is it the form of music i.e. in the Stones case, hard rock which is the governing factor when they should call it a day.
Old blues guys and of course jazz maestros just carry on till they drop....of course they haven't necessaraily lost their musical ability.
Perhaps that is what you are saying is the case (with Keith and Ronnie)...in which case, yes - fair enough

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 5, 2008 22:31

jlowe
skipstone

Weren't members of the Buena Social Club in thier 80's and 90's when Ry Cooder got involved with them.
Or is it the form of music i.e. in the Stones case, hard rock which is the governing factor when they should call it a day.
Old blues guys and of course jazz maestros just carry on till they drop....of course they haven't necessaraily lost their musical ability.
Perhaps that is what you are saying is the case (with Keith and Ronnie)...in which case, yes - fair enough

it's a very different thing to watch a blues or jazz musician performing in his 80s than whatching a stones show with an 80 year old mick jagger still trying to heat up the audience, imo. it just wouldn't suit them.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 5, 2008 23:50

His arthritis isn’t going to disappear, but perhaps by drinking a bit less, we can have a more focused Keith Richards in 2009.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: September 6, 2008 00:22

....in women, I doubt it.

....in booze and drugs, probably.

....in wigs, most assuredly.

....in song writing, guitar playing or singing, Not a chance.

Date: September 6, 2008 13:09

But he looks lot fitter in this year than lat year.I don't think his arthritis will trouble his playing because he is a strong man

Date: September 6, 2008 13:41

Sir Craven of Cottage

I doubt very much if he wants to retire, no more than Jerry Lee Lewis (nearly 73), Little Richard (75), Chuck Berry (nearly 82) & B.B. King (83 next week)...

At 64 he's just a kid in comparison! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-06 13:45 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 6, 2008 15:08

..... F**k if I know, ask him.... Get a "MAGIC 8 BALL, it answers all questions.....

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 6, 2008 16:44

Maybe its time they brought in a Young powerful guitar player to help out with some of the tough stuff. Bring some new life into the band and add some longevity also.

I am not a big Paul McCartmey fan but I did see him in 2006 and I was very pleased with the show. I thought it was because of the two young guitar players that complemented the show.

Just a thought

Date: September 6, 2008 19:03

Arthritis doesn't care if you are strong.

Yeah, it is the case of rock'n'roll being a bit more involved than the above examples or even country music (real country music, the old school country music, not this crap today). Willie is still cookin' and tokin' along but he doesn't exactly have any kind of Midnight Rambler to him now does he?

Also, I think there might be some element of - I could see Charlie saying this - goddamn I'm getting old, I'd like to stay home for once.

And that would be it.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: September 7, 2008 00:00

He'll lift his standard when he stops the elbow bending before the show.

Sobriety - at least while on tour - works these days for Mick, Charlie and especially Ronnie (who we are still rooting for).

Date: September 7, 2008 08:36

I feel he can lift his standards

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 7, 2008 11:55

Sleepy City

It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Date: September 7, 2008 12:08

camper88
Sleepy City

Jerry Lee Lewis has certainly out-partied, out-drugged, out-drank, out-toured & out-f*cked Keith Richards: but because he wears a suit & combs his hair people seem to forget that.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 7, 2008 12:25

Sleepy City
camper88
Sleepy City

Jerry Lee Lewis has certainly out-partied, out-drugged, out-drank, out-toured & out-f*cked Keith Richards: but because he wears a suit & combs his hair people seem to forget that.

out-toured? Really? I'll have to take your word for it, but I have a hard time comparing The Killer's tour(s) with those of the Stones, just for the fact that there's a Mick, Charlie, and Woody involved never mind the biggest concert machine on the planet. With all due respect to the man, playing Renaissance Performing Arts in Mansfield, Ohio on Thursday is not like playing before, say . . . 2 million people in Rio as part of the most successful tour in history.

Date: September 7, 2008 12:50

camper88
Sleepy City
camper88
Sleepy City

out-toured? Really? I'll have to take your word for it, but I have a hard time comparing The Killer's tour(s) with those of the Stones, just for the fact that there's a Mick, Charlie, and Woody involved never mind the biggest concert machine on the planet. With all due respect to the man, playing Renaissance Performing Arts in Mansfield, Ohio on Thursday is not like playing before, say . . . 2 million people in Rio as part of the most successful tour in history.

I'm not saying he (or Chuck, Bo, etc) has played to more people, just that he's always toured, & has probably never had more than a month or so break between concerts in over 50 years...Mick, Keith & the boys work very hard when they tour, but they have several years break between these tours.

EDIT: Just checked, & JLL had nearly 3 months off from performing in 1981, & about 6 weeks in early 1986, but both times were because he was in intensive care & having life-saving surgery. Otherwise it seems he's never had more than about a month's break since at least 1956.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-07 13:29 by Sleepy City.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home