Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: All Down The Line
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 2, 2008 23:22

open-g honey, your hair's all tangled and you ain't talkin right
(everything okay?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-02 23:26 by with sssoul.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 2, 2008 23:35

with sssoul
open-g honey, your hair's all tangled and you ain't talkin right
(everything okay?)

How did yyyyou know?

the vodka waS OK, BUT THE KEYYBOARDD HAS ITS OWN LIFE.
sorry for the craps loock

I need to go home & see my fine machine^^

wellk yeaah, all tangled in blue

Posted by: René ()
Date: September 4, 2008 10:33

Thanx everyone!

Sohoe:

Yes, Bill claims that he plays bass, but all other sources, including the info on the sleeve of the Exile record, say that it's Bill Plummer on bass.

The version from the Los Angeles Oct '69 sessions is the acoustic version.

Anybody more comments, input or alterations?

René

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 4, 2008 11:19

cc
stonesrule
If you saw the Stones on their 1970 tour of Europe then you heard "Down the Line" live.

really?

I guess he's confusing this with the 1973 tour...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2008 15:04

One of the best ever Stones bridges from verses
to the solo:

I need a shot of salvation, baby,
once in a while.
Hear the whistle blowing,
hear it for a thousand miles!

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 4, 2008 16:59

The bass on ADTL has always sounded electric to me, and with a decidedly 'fuzzy' tone no less. The upright certainly doesn't sound as prominent as on, say, "Rip This Joint". I'm guessing Bill Wyman on electric, Bill Plummer on upright.

It all begs the question: just how accurate are the credits included with "Exile On Main Street"?

Posted by: René ()
Date: September 4, 2008 17:05

OK, good one Jesus Murphy.
Anyone comments on his statement?

René

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 4, 2008 17:44

Zack
Not that I want to divert this thread, but the question pops up . . . what happened to Jagger as lyricist between Exile and GHS? He goes from wonderful, abstract imagery to lists of methods to kill people, .44s (twice), police brutality, overdoses, shlocky love ballads, and "silver bells they're a ringin', ding dong." Always mystified me.

getting married, I guess.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 4, 2008 21:16

There are more lyrics than those indicated above. They are in the fade out on the studio recording, but Jagger sang them often at the beginning of the '72 tour. Timeisonourside has them as: (...) walking all down the highway side
That's why I need you (...)

The source of ADLT in CS Blues is shown on Nico's invaluable site:
720700B early June - late July: THE ROLLING STONES. Film-soundtrack '@#$%&
Blues'-movie. Director: Robert Frank. Incl.
- All Down The Line (MJ/KR) -Seattle 4.6.72, 2nd show

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 4, 2008 21:43

This song and Midnight Rambler to me define the Stones, especially live.. I don't like the idea of a band feeling like they have to play any song live at every show but would never get sick of hearing the Stones do this one.. or Rambler.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: September 4, 2008 23:36

stonesrule
If you saw the Stones on their 1970 tour of Europe then you heard "Down the Line" live. It was great then and has certainly stood the test of time.

Agree that ADTL has stood the test of time quite well. The 73 and 78 versions were, of course, hot and raw. But ADTL is one of my favorite songs from Shine a Line. (Charlie's exasperated sigh at the end is a great moment.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 5, 2008 00:58

Does anyone know if this story I heard is true: That Jagger had a acetate of All Down The Line played on a LA station while he drove(or was driven) around to see how it sounded before deciding on the A side of the single? Or is it just one of those "legends"?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 5, 2008 03:16

<<I'm guessing Bill Wyman on electric, Bill Plummer on upright.>>

It reminded me of this thread dealing with the bass subject: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 5, 2008 04:27

scottkeef
Does anyone know if this story I heard is true: That Jagger had a acetate of All Down The Line played on a LA station while he drove(or was driven) around to see how it sounded before deciding on the A side of the single? Or is it just one of those "legends"?

I read that in the book Its Only Rock N Roll: Song By Song, I tend to believe its true.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-06 20:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 5, 2008 07:00

Sleepy City, "All Down The Line" was played in concert in Denmark and Sweden in August-September 1970. And several other cities.

The "story" re Mick driving round LA with it is not accurate.

Date: September 5, 2008 16:33

Any way we can verify this? IORR(Karnbach-Beanson)pp134-35 and Rolling With The Stones(BIll Wyman)pp364 gives set lists for the tour and "All Down The Line " is never mentioned. Does anyone have the recordings to check?
Source for the radio accuracy, please since ryanpow at least read it in a publication?

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 5, 2008 17:07

Sohoe
<<I'm guessing Bill Wyman on electric, Bill Plummer on upright.>>

It reminded me of this thread dealing with the bass subject: [www.iorr.org]

Very illuminating read, that.

Sorry to say, no way that's Bill Wyman playing bass on "Shine A Light". The playing has Taylor written all over it. Ditto for "Dice".

As for ADTL, looks like I nailed it...still say the electric is way more prominent than the upright, though...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 5, 2008 17:18

>> OK, good one Jesus Murphy. Anyone comments on his statement? <<

you mean does anyone else think there are two basses on All Down the Line,
Plummer on upright and Wyman on electric? yeah, that sounds right to me,
although i have no sources to back it up except the track itself
(plus the fact that it would partly explain the credits confusion)

edit: sorry, the posts pointing to that other thread about the two basses on the track
got posted while i was busy checking out the 1970 setlists on the StonesVikings' site.
it's good to read that i don't need a whole new sound system after all :E

>> "All Down The Line" was played in concert in Denmark and Sweden in August-September 1970.
And several other cities. <<

hm: it's not mentioned in the set lists the gallant StonesVikings have posted for 1970 Scandinavian shows.
what is the source of this information, stonesrule? please and thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-05 17:33 by with sssoul.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: September 5, 2008 19:54

cc
Zack
Not that I want to divert this thread, but the question pops up . . . what happened to Jagger as lyricist between Exile and GHS? He goes from wonderful, abstract imagery to lists of methods to kill people, .44s (twice), police brutality, overdoses, shlocky love ballads, and "silver bells they're a ringin', ding dong." Always mystified me.

getting married, I guess.

Interesting question. My theory: Exile is the aggregation of four years of songs and ideas from numerous locations and timeframes (although I tend to think of it as primarily the basement of Nelcote). Goats is probably the first time in a long time that they sat down and came up with a new batch of tunes - and over that period of time, clearly M&K moved apart, due to Keith's drugs / Gram's hanging out / Mick getting married / other factors. Hence, very little M&K collaboration is evident on Goats (Angie being an exception). Rather we see Jagger / Taylor collaborations and Jagger / Preston collaborations.

Although the georgous Waiting on a Friend was from these sessions (good M&K collaboration)

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: September 5, 2008 20:28

Who is Kathi McDonald?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 5, 2008 21:48

One of the Ikettes

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 5, 2008 22:26

Interesting question. My theory: Exile is the aggregation of four years of songs and ideas from numerous locations and timeframes (although I tend to think of it as primarily the basement of Nelcote). Goats is probably the first time in a long time that they sat down and came up with a new batch of tunes - and over that period of time, clearly M&K moved apart, due to Keith's drugs / Gram's hanging out / Mick getting married / other factors. Hence, very little M&K collaboration is evident on Goats (Angie being an exception). Rather we see Jagger / Taylor collaborations and Jagger / Preston collaborations.

Wasn't 100 Years Ago written in 1969? Forget where I read that.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: September 5, 2008 23:47

100 Yrs Ago written in 69?

I don't know about that - but I'd question it because it's clearly a Taylor / Preston / Jagger collaboration - and that makes it pretty unlikely to be from that era.

Date: September 6, 2008 00:01

ROLLING STONES COMPLETE RECORDING SESSIONS 1963-1989(Martin Elliot) claims on pp121 that "Written in the late 60s/early seventies by Mick Jagger....." but I dont know what his source is.

Date: September 6, 2008 00:31

StonesBlake
Who is Kathi McDonald?

[www.kathimcdonald.com]

Saw her on Ch. 77 Public Access Seattle w/in the past few months - absolutely amazing! Control of her voice, passion, presence. If she ever comes to your town, go see her!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 6, 2008 00:35

Highlight of SAL to me was ADTL along with Buddy Guy's spot

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 6, 2008 02:15

Hi With Ssoul, would have emailed you but have misplaced your address.

I am the source and attended concerts in Malmo, Helsinki, Stockholm, Gothenberg, Aarhus, Copenhagen, Hamburg etc.

These early dates were designed to break in new material. "All Down the Line" was probably played in, at the very least, Malmo and/or Gothenburg. I have some old cassettes of these shows in storage.

Date: September 6, 2008 04:35

Well, get em out and post them! How come there not on any of the boots from that tour? Love to hear an early version live!!!!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 6, 2008 06:00

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt you for a moment since you were there stonesrule but the tape sources from the Malmo and Gothenburg shows seem to be complete sets and don't contain ADTL. Is it possible they played it at one of the other shows you attended, like Helsinki or Aarhus which have not circulated as far as I know ?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 6, 2008 09:16

stonesrule
Hi With Ssoul, would have emailed you but have misplaced your address.

I am the source and attended concerts in Malmo, Helsinki, Stockholm, Gothenberg, Aarhus, Copenhagen, Hamburg etc.

These early dates were designed to break in new material. "All Down the Line" was probably played in, at the very least, Malmo and/or Gothenburg. I have some old cassettes of these shows in storage.

wow, a bombshell... this would beat that show from Aberdeen(?) that His Majesty has been working on, eh?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home