Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill, Keith and Jumpin' Jack Flash
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 26, 2008 20:23

Ok, sorry to bring this one up again, but Bill claims to have written the riff for JJF, fair enough, the lyrics and main melody appear to have been Mick and Keith's creation thus their Jagger - Richard credit still stands.

Anyway, Bill also says in Stone Alone that Keith admitted in interviews that Bill did indeed write the riff, so, has anyone ever read such an interview!?

I've yet to read any interview or quote by Keith in which he says Bill wrote it or had anything to do with it's creation!

Re: Bill, Keith and Jumpin' Jack Flash
Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: August 26, 2008 20:58

I thought the riff was just a variation on the satisfaction riff that Bill was toying with.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 26, 2008 21:04

Slimharpo
I thought the riff was just a variation on the satisfaction riff that Bill was toying with.

All riffs are a variation on something, aren't they? Doesn't make them any less worthwhile IMO. And I could swear I've read at least one interview where Keith admits Bill wrote the riff, altough I can't remeber where. Anyone?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 26, 2008 21:19

Look through Bill's books and there are many mistakes. And he is probably referring to something he remembers Keith saying at one point, probably not in an interview.

Date: August 26, 2008 21:35

ohnonotyouagain
I could swear I've read at least one interview where Keith admits Bill wrote the riff, altough I can't remeber where. Anyone?

It would be cool if you could remember, hehe, how can we make you remember!? grinning smiley

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 26, 2008 21:37

His Majesty
ohnonotyouagain
I could swear I've read at least one interview where Keith admits Bill wrote the riff, altough I can't remeber where. Anyone?

It would be cool if you could remember, hehe, how can we make you remember!? grinning smiley

Sending me a few bottles of "truth serum" could work. My truth serum of choice at the moment is Stoli and Kahlua, let me know if you have any extra bottles of these lying around and maybe we can make a deal.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 26, 2008 22:13

The main riff, or the intro riff?

Date: August 26, 2008 22:42

Koen
The main riff, or the intro riff?

Bill doesn't get that specific, but I assume he means the main riff.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 26, 2008 23:07

I remember reading that it was bill and Brian who who came up with it on bass and organ. and when they were playing it Mick said to them "that sounds great, keep doing it"... I believe I read that in "according to the RS"

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 26, 2008 23:33

I have no problem with Bill involved in this; but..
How does a bassist w r i t e a riff on a bass guitar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-26 23:34 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 26, 2008 23:39

Baboon Bro

With his fingers? confused smiley A 'riff' is not defined to be on a guitar, or do you mean something else? smiling smiley

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 26, 2008 23:45

Baboon Bro

From Martin Elliott's Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002 book:

"The Jumping Jack Flash foundations were laid by Bill Wyman during the Surrey sessions as he 'mucked around' with a chord sequence on the piano.
Brian Jones and Charlie Watts and Brian Jones improvised on it until Keith Richards and Mick Jagger entered the studio.
The duo knew instantaneously that the sound had great possibilities".

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 27, 2008 00:49

Koen
Baboon Bro

With his fingers? confused smiley A 'riff' is not defined to be on a guitar, or do you mean something else? smiling smiley

As an old bassist I call it bass lines. A repeated line might be a figure, huh?

Erik - I oppose to the word: "write".. "come up with!" sounds more plausible.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 27, 2008 06:17

erikjjf
From Martin Elliott's Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002 book:

"The Jumping Jack Flash foundations were laid by Bill Wyman during the Surrey sessions as he 'mucked around' with a chord sequence on the piano.
Brian Jones and Charlie Watts and Brian Jones improvised on it until Keith Richards and Mick Jagger entered the studio.
The duo knew instantaneously that the sound had great possibilities".

vaguer than vague... I have to think bill's publisher for Stone Alone asked for something "controversial" like this to be put in once he found the manuscript to chart their gig by gig payments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home