Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Led Zeppelin to open London 2012 Olympics?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:20

On Radio London this morning one of the presenters mentioned that Led Zeppelin would be opening the London 2012 Olympics. I can't find anything about this on the web but it would be a distinct possibility following Jimmy Page's appearance heralding the event yesterday.
Such a prestigious gig would be a mighty blow to the Stones who will be celebrating their 50th anniversary that year.
If this is the case then Page has pulled a masterstroke in getting one over on the Stones.

Re: Led Zeppelin to open London 2012 Olympics?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:26

Health/age issues are gonna start popping up (unfortunately).

Get a grip on reality, 2012 is 4 years off. The Foutain of Youth still hasn't been found - it's not in the bottom of a Jack Daniels bottle, fer sure.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:31

i wouldn't call it "a mighty blow to the Stones" anyway.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:32

From 1962 to 2012 - isn't that exactly 50 years? And isn't there another band actually from London that could do this a lot better?

Bjornulf

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:35

bv
From 1962 to 2012 - isn't that exactly 50 years? And isn't there another band actually from London that could do this a lot better?

AGREED!!!!!!!!

BTW BV: Now that I have you here. Do you know anything about those Universal DeLuxe editions? There's nothing on the IORR News Section. sad smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 25, 2008 16:37

Elmo Lewis
it's not in the bottom of a Jack Daniels bottle, fer sure.

LOL! I wish Ronnie Wood would realize that simple fact too.

Date: August 25, 2008 16:45

bv

My point exactly BV. Such an amazing event as playing at the opening ceremony to your hometown Olympics surely can't have gone unnoticed by Mick who is a huge sports fan. Let's not forget that The Stones were originally going to open the new Wembley Stadium before the dates got put back and Bon Jovi claimed that historic the opening.
The Stones are also from just across the water in Dartford. Now I'm only reporting what I heard on the radio this morning but it would make perfect sense why Jimmy Page played the Olympic handover yesterday. It's only food for thought but an interesting one. I'm sure more will be revealed soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-25 16:46 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:01

The bad part is that the Stones will be in their 70's in 2012.

The good part would be all the gorgeous 20-year-old models Jagger would hire for the front row seats at the opening ceremony.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:04

London or not I still predict Macca's gonna be involved with Sir Elton and Sir Cliff as support unless of course death intervenes!

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:13

>> the Stones will be in their 70s in 2012 <<

... one of them will be, yeah.
and why is that "bad"? it sure beats the other option smoking smiley

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:14

If Robert Plant wants as little to do with Zeppelin NOW, what makes Jimmy think that'll change four years down the road? Page's flying of the Zeppelin flag is admirable, but it seems like it's becoming more desperate every day.

No, opening ceremonies of the London Olympics would be the perfect opening show for the Stones' "Fifty Licks" tour!

Date: August 25, 2008 17:19

Jesus Murphy
If Robert Plant wants as little to do with Zeppelin NOW, what makes Jimmy think that'll change four years down the road? Page's flying of the Zeppelin flag is admirable, but it seems like it's becoming more desperate every day.

No, opening ceremonies of the London Olympics would be the perfect opening show for the Stones' "Fifty Licks" tour!

Well.....there's always Leona. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:19

The Stones would do it if:
1. It fits into their toring plans
2. They like the project

They said NO to making a James Bond song because they did not like the project. They said yes to Superbowl because it fit in and they liked it. I am not sure if the Olympics do deserve the Stones. May be the Olympics is for a B-band than the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world?

Bjornulf

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:31

Page on sunday was one of the most embarrasing moments I have ever seen. Thank god Plant has more style.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:36

Part of me can't wait for all of these fops to quit and be done with it.

Date: August 25, 2008 17:43

bv
2. They like the project

They said NO to making a James Bond song because they did not like the project. They said yes to Superbowl because it fit in and they liked it. I am not sure if the Olympics do deserve the Stones. May be the Olympics is for a B-band than the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world?

I don't think anything gets a bigger global TV audience than the Olympics and it is first and foremost a sporting extravaganza so I think it's a bit OTT to say that the Olympics don't deserve The Stones. The Games sell themselves irrespective of who plays a few songs at the opening/closing gigs. Sad to say but I think we're in danger of putting The Stones on a pedestal that they simply won't be required to stand on in four years time. Pray I'm wrong but why don't we just wait and see.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:49

LZ may open, but The Stones close if Chicago get 2016. Then a reverse passing of the torch? Of course, if you think the boys will be long in the tooth, who will be left from the Chicago scene: Buddy? late seventies?

Date: August 25, 2008 17:53

bv
2. They like the project

When did the Stones decline to doa Bond theme? Which film?

Date: August 25, 2008 17:55

I'm sure that if the Stones are still going in 2012 then that 50th year of their career will be the perfect vehicle for them to tour and to consider such a prestigious event.

If Zepp do play then maybe Jason Bonham will modify his dad's logo.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:58

Elmo Lewis

Get a grip on reality, 2012 is 4 years off. The Foutain of Youth still hasn't been found - it's not in the bottom of a Jack Daniels bottle, fer sure.

Of course not, it's in the bubbles at the bottom of a pint of Guinnesssmileys with beer

Date: August 25, 2008 18:05

Sir Craven of Cottage
bv
2. They like the project

When did the Stones decline to doa Bond theme? Which film?

Think it may have been Goldeneye.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 25, 2008 18:08

It was cringe-making to see Jimmy Page in that role, which is instead made for the likes of Sarah Brightman and Leona Lewis (or some girl or boy band) - and not for our top four rock 'n' roll royals. So I fervently hope that the Stones have nothing whatsoever to do with the next Olympics.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 25, 2008 18:17

I think if Zeppelin is going to tour again they will do it in the next year or two and then call it quits afterwards. And if they don't get back together in the next year or two I don't see them suddenly reuniting four years from now.

The Stones, now, that's a different story ... I've long predicted they will close out their career with a 50th anniversary tour, and the Olympics might very well fit into that. Hmmm, intriguing.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 25, 2008 18:29

Bonham has quit Foreigner and admitted to writing with Page and Jones.
I think something is in the works for sure with Zeppelin, but I doubt it will last four long years. Next year, yes. 2012, no.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 25, 2008 18:43

Beast
It was cringe-making to see Jimmy Page in that role, which is instead made for the likes of Sarah Brightman and Leona Lewis (or some girl or boy band) - and not for our top four rock 'n' roll royals. So I fervently hope that the Stones have nothing whatsoever to do with the next Olympics.

I feel exactly the same - where is any parallel between the Olympics and the Stones, except that both happens at stadiums? Or why should they even close their carreer there? Let some Celine Dion do it! (she is Canadian, I know, I know) Why should they do this theatre - play 2-3 songs with crappy sound in fron of people, where 90 % of them will only know Satisfaction? I want them to do gigs in front of their fans and not to play at so-called prestious events.

Olympics should be about sports, not about one country trying to show to the rest of the worl how bombastic they can make it and how no one else can beat them. And so if the RS would take part in it, it would be just like: "...and we also have the greatest roc'n'roll band in the world. Look!" Sorry, this is not the idea of Olympic games for me and I doubt that RS would like to be presented this way.

I think that London has a great opportunity to do it in a different way, since the Webmley stadium is already built and a lot of other stuff is also there (like Wimbledon), I think that this time it could not be only about showing off how much money can be blown off for 2 week event, building all the stadiums and facilities that usually nobody knows how to use them afterwards, and it can get much more focussed on the sport itself.

Again - please don't do it boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-25 18:45 by Happy24.

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: August 25, 2008 18:57

Elmo Lewis

DAMN, I have been lookin' in the wrong place for years

I suppose now your gonna claim that is no where near a pile of cocaine either.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 25, 2008 19:05

RadioMarv
Elmo Lewis

You people are depressing me - knock it off!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 25, 2008 19:08

jamesjagger
Page on sunday was one of the most embarrasing moments I have ever seen. Thank god Plant has more style.

You jest ... right ?

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 25, 2008 19:09

BEAST you damp-squibber you. LOL

SD

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 25, 2008 19:11

RadioMarv
Elmo Lewis

Yeah, don't ruin that for us too Elmo

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home