Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SAL - finally saw it - take 2
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:39

So I think I must be the last one here who didn‘t see the movie – till yesterday. Yes, in the time when everyone in the US has a DVD, it has finally reached our cinemas (and I don‘t live in forest). I was so much looking forward to this moment – I haven’t bought the soundtrack, I haven‘t watched clips on youtube, I haven‘t read many reviews here, all in order not to spoil the moment when I see it on a silver screen…

Before I get to the movie, I have to say that unfortunately they had big problems with the sound in the cinema, I have never experienced that before – the speakers on the sides of the cinema were constantly going on and off, which was extremely annoying. But even in spite of that…it exceeded my expectations, I loved it.

I think Martin did a wonderful job. Not that I would love absolutely everything – like the intro was toooo looong. Okay, thay had troubles with getting the setlist from the band. I got that after Martin said twice, I didn‘t need to hear that 10 times, or Hillary Clinton‘s mother meeting the Stones was really a thrilling sight that I couldn‘t live without (I loved Charlie‘s attitude there). But those things are just minor things that don‘t deserve some sharp criticism.

When the show started, almost everything was perfect. Martin has perfectly captured the unbelieveble energy of the band and of the performance. The sound was great, the performance was great – I wonder how much was overdubbed – I didn‘t notice anything obvious at the first sight. The first row in the audience…well, it has been discussed much and it really looks artificial – those girls were obviously told to clap their hands to the rythm and smile and that was their job. On the other hand, if I didn’t know it in advance, I probably wouldn‘t pay much attention to it. (If you want to see a really great crowd, watch Bridges to Poland – that is how it should be!).

If I get a bit more into details, the show had three main highlight and two let-downs for me (but I only saw it once, there is surely much to discover). The first highlight was Champagne And Reefer. Buddy Guy was amazing, his stare into the camera was electrifying and so was the whole number. The band sounded so great! The second was You Got The Silver. When I heard it in Brno, I thought this song couldn‘t get any better. I was wrong. This is the ultimate version – Keith singing is so urgent and intense, Ron‘s guitar is wonderful. Thank you guys for this. I liked the way Keith innovated his „good to be here, good to be anywhere.“ His „good to see you, good to see anybody“ shows us, how creative he is. winking smiley Just kidding. Okay, the third highlight was surprisingly Live With Me. I never liked Christina Aguilera, but she really fit into this number. The sound of the band was so huge and tight and the duet was really great.

And I also enjoyed the warhorses here, Start Me Up sounded really fresh, Tubling Dice was great and Keith even got the intro of Brown Sugar right!

The first let-down was Loving Cup. Jack White should not have been there, he ruined the song. I never liked those younger guest acts on the Stones‘ shows, they usually ruin the numbers (not all of them). Like the clear example is Dave Matthews – this guy is on 2 official Stones‘ DVDs. Why for God‘s sake? Is it not enough that he ruined the Wild Horses on B2B? No, he also had to ruin the Midnight Rambler on BB. Well, sometimes it works - I personally like Eddie Wedder‘s appearance on Wild Horses on BB – his attitude is somehow humble and yet powerful. Or as I said, I liked Christina‘s performance, but it is usually bad and Jack White is one of those cases. And then I think it was a mistake to interrupt the Connection with the interviews. It is I think the only official live release of this song (besides Winos of course) and this was not necessary… Otherwise I like the older footage, someone here complained about the fact that Martin tried to make it a bit of a comedy. Well, I don‘t mind, I laughed.

So there are obviously some things that can be criticized, but one can always find a reason to criticize, right? At least everyone has a different taste and not everyone can be absolutely satisfied with everything. But I think it is only fair to say that this is one of the best and most enjoyable concert movies (and not only Stones‘ concert movies) and I can‘t wait till I buy it on DVD and play it loud with proper sound and with all the bonuses. Thank you Stones, thank you Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 10:42 by Happy24.

Re: SAL - finally saw it - take 2
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:42

glad it grooved you, Happy24!

>> I wonder how much was overdubbed <<

apparently there were no overdubs at all.

Date: August 22, 2008 10:44

with sssoul
apparently there were no overdubs at all.

Really? Hard to believe, but I am impressed then! That is the right way to do it! Who minds the minor mistakes? Do we not wait for them? Are we not looking forward to them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 10:45 by Happy24.

Date: August 22, 2008 10:52

>> Really? <<

that's what the director's said in interviews, and i think the authenticity of the performance
was a major point of his. and i haven't seen any of our Critical Analysts here
posting about any overdub-suspects.

sorry the sound wasn't good at your cinema. maybe part of what you're talking about
is the gimmicky volume-changing effect, whereby the instrument on screen becomes louder?
one of the cinemas i saw it at had a lot of trouble with that as well.

i feel like Jack White wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much if they'd done a different number with him -
preferably a cover of something the Stones haven't done before.
having him on a such a rarely-played and hugely-loved number was in a way not fair -
it's just too overpoweringly clear who we'd rather see/hear sharing the mic on that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 11:04 by with sssoul.

Date: August 22, 2008 11:00

Well, I wouldn't give too much credit to the fact that the director said it (absolutely no offence to him, but it is all an advertisement campaign and not all in advertisement is true). But the fact that the Critical Analysts here don't complain means something. I remember how much criticism got the Austin show. Well, then I can only believe that it is not overdubbed. Agagin - good for us, the more I appreciate it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 11:00 by Happy24.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 22, 2008 11:28

Happy24
Jack White should not have been there, he ruined the song.

That's funny, because I think Loving Cup is one of the absolute highlights much thanks to Jack White.
I just love seeing the big smile on Jack's face throughout the song. He's obviously really excited to be on
stage with the greatest rock band ever and it creates a certain ambience of sheer bliss. I think Jack makes a
nice performance and I like it when he plays guitar next to Keith during the solo and also when he's sharing
microphone with Jagger at two occasions. That's what I call rock'n'roll. I get goose bumps every time I see that sequence.
It's interesting during the last line "Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk" when Jack leans over to Jagger with his
mic and puts his hand on Jaggers back. Jagger seems a bit awkward like Jack's stepped out of line or come a bit
too close and pushes Jack gently away. Then when Jack is walking backwards from the stage he looks humble
and almost unworthy, but he's thankfully being greeted by Keith and Ronnie before exiting.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 22, 2008 11:48

The Stones
Happy24
Jack White should not have been there, he ruined the song.

That's funny, because I think Loving Cup is one of the absolute highlights much thanks to Jack White. ...

Yeah, it's amazing how devided we all are on the guest apearances!

For me Loving Cup is one of the highlights of the movie, while I really felt a little bit embarrassed (I brought my girlfriend to the cinema, it was here first Stones-experience) during Christina/Live With Me.

And to stay on topic: I really really enjoyed the move very much, and to touch another sensitive subject: I also think the soundeffects (linking shot and sound) where very nice, it reveals the build-up of the Stones' sound.

Jelle

Date: August 22, 2008 12:00

The Stones and Sluisse, your thoughts on Loving Cup are interesting - what I wrote above is based on the fact that I only saw it once and it is true that one has to see some things more times to appreciate them or to get used to them. I'll keep your comments in mind for the next time I see it.

It is just that I am always "suspicious" when I see a guest act who is not an old bluseman. Now I think about that Chinese guy fom BB. What kind of joke was that? Why to put him on the stage with the Stones if he can not even learn the lyrics and whenever he knows some line he tries to attract all the attention. The main point of his appearence is to show that he can remember one or two lines. Okay, no problem, he might have pleased the local audience, but the reason why is he on the disc is hidden to me. But that doesn't really belong here, it is not really the Jack White's case...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 12:03 by Happy24.

Date: August 22, 2008 12:26

Loving Cup was great. Jack did a fine job. I can't understand that there should be anything to complain about with his performance musically...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 12:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 22, 2008 12:35

Hey Powderman!
WHEM is your album due???

The signature New album, "Won't Bow Down", out soon on D and M Records!
www.dandmrecords.com

has beeen at the end of your post for over a year now... Give us a clue!

Date: August 22, 2008 14:05

<Hey Powderman!
WHEM is your album due???>

Good question. Spoke to the record company last week, and they keep saying "next week" everytime I speak with them smiling smiley

My best guess is late fall (October/November). I can promise one thing: Lots of open G-songs smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2008 15:21

DandelionPowderman

I can promise one thing: Lots of open G-songs smiling smiley

Sounds interesting, will it be released worldwide?

Date: August 22, 2008 15:48

<Sounds interesting, will it be released worldwide?>

yes

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: August 22, 2008 17:06

I think "Loving Cup" is one of the best performances on SAL.
Jack White brings back the original vocals which we here on "Exile on main street"
and it sounds really good.

"You got the silver" is also one of the greatest highlights.
All in all it's a good DVD brought to us by the greatest rock band in the world still.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2008 17:56

Yes Lovin Cup ACE but that Christina Aguilera time is just cringe...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 22, 2008 20:55

>having him on a such a rarely-played and hugely-loved number was in a way not fair -

Well it was Jack's choice so you're saying you'd rather he had chosen a more commonly-played song? If Jack hadn't chosen it, the song probably wouldn't have been in the movie at all.

Date: August 23, 2008 12:22

>> Well it was Jack's choice so you're saying ... <<

smile: if you look close, what i said is that i think it would've worked better
if he'd guested on a cover of something that we've never heard the Stones do at all.
I'm Left You're Right She's Gone, for example - would that be cool or what?!

whether or not it was White who chose Loving Cup doesn't salvage anything for me;
having that number as a Glimmer Duet or not at all is what would work for me.
as it is it's my personal fast-forward moment in the film anyway ...
but everyone else is welcome to dig it as much as you can - that's what it's for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 13:42 by with sssoul.

Date: August 23, 2008 12:48

smile: It sure is nice to have these personal fast-forward moments on SAL, ain't it!
Mine are Connection and most of the warhorses.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 23, 2008 12:53

The Stones
smile: It sure is nice to have these personal fast-forward moments on SAL, ain't it!
Mine are Connection and most of the warhorses.

Don't forget the rewind moments: let's listen to She Was Hot and All Down the Line one more time, shall we?

Date: August 23, 2008 12:54

Who's the Spanish doll painted on the back of Jack's guitar...??

ROCKMAN

Date: August 23, 2008 13:08

How do you know she's Spanish?

She could be Romanian
Could be Bubarian
Could be Albanian
Might be Hungarian
Could be Ukrainian
Could be Australian, no, not Australian

Date: August 23, 2008 13:09

Ahhh thanks camper looked that way with the glimpes ya get in SAL...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 23, 2008 13:20

Rockman
Ahhh thanks camper looked that way with the glimpes ya get in SAL...

My pleasure . . . and hey, you may be right. What do I know about women and guitars? Er, . . . I mean . . . damn!

Date: August 23, 2008 13:25

Well there's books about guitars ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 23, 2008 13:30

with sssoul
the fact that White chose Loving Cup doesn't salvage anything for me;
having it as a Glimmer Duet or not at all is what would work for me.
as it is it's my personal fast-forward moment in the film anyway ...
but everyone else is welcome to dig it as much as you can - that's what it's for.

with sssoul, You may not have meant that White chose Loving Cup where I quote you above, but to be clear it was actually Mick's choice, at least according to White:
"Mick called me. I offered up six or seven songs, which were all shot down [laughs]. "Factory Girl" [on Beggars Banquet] was talked about. Another one was "Shake Your Hips" [the Slim Harpo cover on Exile on Main Street]. Then he said "Loving Cup." That was great — for years at White Stripes shows, we played "Loving Cup" [over the PA] as the crowd was leaving. I just wanted to harmonize with Mick. I didn't necessarily want my own verse. But he said, "Take one."

That's from Rolling Stone
[www.rollingstone.com]

Having said, that I don't think that Mick chose it at all diminishes your point about the desire to hear LC done by the Stones, sans guests. I certainly felt that way in the Beacon, and it was kind of bittersweet to hear a song I so love, but not sung as I'd have preferred or as I'd imagined it being sung.
The strange thing is that now when I see it in the film I'm okay with it. The moment's past but the document survives and for that I'm happy.

Date: August 23, 2008 13:40

>> to be clear [Loving Cup] was actually Mick's choice <<

ahh thank you camper88 - for that clarification, and for grasping my yearning to hear Loving Cup performed without guests.
maybe next time :E

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 23, 2008 16:42

camper88
I just wanted to harmonize with Mick. I didn't necessarily want my own verse. But he said, "Take one."

mick's musical instincts failing him again, as it's when Jack White sings his solo verse that he does just an atrocious job. When he's harmonizing with mick, it's ok (aurally... conceptually might be a different story).

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 23, 2008 17:01

Shake Your Hips!!! Damn. Jack should talk to Marty, them both would convince Mick :-)

Happy24, I'm glad you enjoyed it! And you're very strong, I always think "of course I won't watch this SAL YouTube vid, gonna wait for the release" and then click it... winking smiley

Date: August 23, 2008 20:53

with sssoul
apparently there were no overdubs at all. i haven't seen any of our Critical Analysts here
posting about any overdub-suspects

Can it really be possible that there are no overdubs at all on SAL?
No screw-ups that had to be fixed? Keith nailed the opening riff to Brown Sugar?
I think the performance seems too good to not have been altered in some way.
Did Blondie Chaplin do more than his usual routine of filling in on guitar?
So, where are the overdub-suspects?

Date: August 26, 2008 16:24

Hey, what ever happened to those overdub-suspects?
Where is Mathijs when you need him!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home