Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

all my condolences to mister Guy...
Posted by: domingo ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:24

Re: all my condolences to mister Guy...
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:25

Sad news indeed....Love and best wishes to Buddy and Family...

JR

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:29

love & light to Phil and everyone close to him

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:35

Buddy Guy is one of the best performers I've heard of! Best wishes to him and his family. So sad news, during his concert tour...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:42

Thats a shame as I really just "discovered"Phil on some of the blues blogs. RIP

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:17

R.I.P. Phil Guy.........

Also:

Chicago harmonica ace Little Arthur Duncan passed away Wednesday morning, August 20, 2008 at Kindred Hospital in Northlake, IL from complications from brain surgery. He was 74.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 22, 2008 20:45

I was just listening to He's My Blues Brother. Listen to his music, it's great Chicago guitar blues.Truly Too Young to Die

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 22, 2008 21:10

What a bummer...he was a cool guy (no pun intended), a real gentleman, and his rhythm playing on Stone Crazy was spot on..

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: August 23, 2008 08:55

Living in Chicago, we've had the opportunity to see both Phil & Buddy numerous times @ Legends (occasionally sharing the stage) and other locations. Phil's passing is not only a great loss to the Guy family, but to the blues fans of Chicago. It won't be the same going into Legends and not seeing the real "blues brothers". The following is what's posted on Legend's website:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

PHIL GUY WILL BE MISSED

Visitation: Monday, Aug. 25, 4-10 PM
Gatlings Chapel, 10133 S. Halsted St., Chicago 60628

Funeral Service: Tuesday, Aug. 26, 11 AM
Gatlings Chapel, 10133 S. Halsted, St., Chicago 60628

“He’s My Blues Brother,” Phil Guy’s title track to his most recent album, blares through Buddy Guy’s Legends at various times of the day and night. The song explains his relationship with his older brother, Buddy Guy. “We are the real Blues brothers!” Phil exclaimed on stage before Buddy joined him in a duet this past January. So, it is with mourning and regret that we hear the news of Phil losing his battle with cancer and passing away on August 20, 2008. But to know that he will never stand on Legends’ stage with the club’s logo in the background, or that fans listening to him will never boogie to the funky sounds screaming from his guitar, remains an even greater tragedy. His love of Blues remains his legacy. More than a Bluesman, Phil was of course a beloved brother to his siblings as well as a father, grandfather, uncle and husband.
Phil shares a similar bio as his older brother Buddy—both were born to sharecroppers, both experienced the adversities of poverty, and both learned to play the guitar on their own. But Phil, born on April 28, 1940, would embark on a musical journey to the soul side of Blues. Phil followed Buddy to Chicago and joined in his band in 1969 before going on his own venture.
The band, consisting of the brothers, would regularly perform at Theresa’s Lounge. Alongside his brother, Phil jammed with the likes of well-known musicians in tours across Europe, in Africa and in the United States. But it was in the 1990s when Phil went on his own.
He formed his band—Phil Guy and The Chicago Machine—and delighted fans around the world. Influenced by the upbeat sounds of Jimmy Reed and James Brown, Phil recorded around ten albums and his music continues to be a testimony full of his life’s ambitions and accomplishments. The heavy guitar licks and overt bass lines allowed listeners to fully understand the era that was important to Phil. So, as Phil played, the people continued to dance.
His albums will continue to rotate through the sound system of Buddy Guy’s Legends. But it will have a deeper significance when his name will be mentioned while Buddy reminisces about Blues legends of the past during his own performances. Staff members of Legends will fondly remember his smile, his curly, black hair and thick mustache. Phil will always be apart of the family. And to Legends he will always be known as “Uncle Phil”.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home