Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylors Debut Album
Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 21, 2008 16:46

Listening to this unknown classic as I type,SW5,Baby I Love You,Leather Jacket.
I think he should have continued on this path.PS some great instrumentals also.
Does anybody like this album?

Coming Down Again

Re: Mick Taylors Debut Album
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2008 17:16

Yes,very interesting guitarplaying by MT,great guitarsound too.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 21, 2008 18:31

I'm sure Mr. Taylor would have liked to have continued in this vein. Unfortunately, the punk and disco era was not going to give him a shot. Had Columbia released this in 1976 when it was recorded, it might have fared better. Unfortunately, the album lacks commercial sensibility ("Leather Jacket" is the closest the album comes to radio-friendly) and that prevented Mr. Taylor from slipping through the cracks the way Mark Knopfler would with the first Dire Straits album during the same difficult era for traditional blues/rock guitarists. All the same, Mr. Taylor (and for that matter, Mr. Knopfler) did quite well backing Bob Dylan just a few years later. His reunion with John Mayall and work with Alvin Lee is also worthwhile. Mr. Taylor did quite well commercially when he showed up to play the solo on Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You" in the late eighties. I'm not sure why his management doesn't try to replicate that by trying to arrange a session for Sheryl Crow or The White Stripes or any other contemporary young rock musician who knows and appreciates the Stones. A theater appearance with The Black Crowes could also do much to raise Mr. Taylor's public visibility and help him out commercially as well. That said, if Mr. Taylor is comfortable staying out of the limelight, I can easily respect him all the more for making music for himself and a small, but appreciative fanbase. The man is possessed of both undeniable talent and integrity.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 21, 2008 18:31

I like this album as well but Mick Taylor suffers from terminal sideman syndrome and so his talent seems to be best showcased when he backs others up ala Mayall, The Stones, Dylan and so on.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 21, 2008 18:51

Very good album;

I love Leather Jacket.

I assume he took to unfinished instrumental from the Stones and added his own lyrics. They seem sto jump back and forth being at times about Mick J's life. and also Mick T leaving the Stomnes behind:

You and your lady are the king and the queen
of the rock and roll circus, that's the best I've ever seen
All your leather jackets and your faded jeans
All you have left of your rock and roll dreams
Whoa, put your leather jacket on
though it's time to be movin' on
You know your ladies like a movie star queen
She's late for her mornings, never wakes upon her dreams
I gave her love and I gave her my money
I said "no thanks, I can't get hooked on ya honey"
Put your leather jacket on
know it's time to be movin' on
You think you're funky and you think your so tough
Sometimes you're disgusted, 'cause you just can't get enough
Think your gonna go back to sunny California
Ride the waves on the cool blue water
Whoa, yeah, put your leather jacket on
And you move through your world as if it was a dance
You never keep your fortune, that you made in the south of
France
Know it's time to be movin' on
Know it's time to be movin' on

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 21, 2008 19:06

Writing for NME, Mark Ellen submitted this review of the album:

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 19:42

Nice record. Subtle and appreciated by people who like his playing. There's some nice stuff in there, Giddy Up, Spanish. But it lacks that clarity of vision, a problem that has hounded Taylor's professional/creative life. It also must have made him some money which means in Taylor-speak, "I do not do anything unless I have to." He did virtually nothing in the mid to later '70's (Stones money, I presume). And did nothing to promote this record. 1980 was a complete sleepwalk. He did not play any songs from this record until late '86(!!) even though people were well aware of it and shouting out for tracks in the '80's. It took Alvin Lee to get back on stage in late '81 (the "Can't Stop" solo is monumental) and Mayall in early '82. That Bluesbreakers Reunion playing is wonderful.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 21, 2008 21:49

I know I've mentioned this before, but I can't help being a broken record sometimes:

"Leather Jacket" was released as a single. It has a different mix than the album version.

They should have included it on the CD.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 21, 2008 21:56

Evidently no one argued that "Leather Jacket" is indeed Taylors since the version with lyrics seems to be the same song as the inst. on Trident Mixes. also of interest is the Japanese release of Taylors A Stones throw which includes a bonus of "Seperately" which is the same song as the outtake from the Goats Head Soup album. Both of these songs are credited to Taylor alone, are they not? Correct me if its wrong-I would like to know.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 21, 2008 22:15

Fantastic album. A shame he didn't produce a couple of more of these gems.

But then again imagine yourself playing this beautiful music to a crowd of which most just came to see you play JJF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 22:18 by Britney.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 21, 2008 22:18

I think it's good -- as far as singing and songwriting goes, I think it's his best effort.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: August 21, 2008 22:20

HalfNanker
Very good album;

I love Leather Jacket.

I assume he took to unfinished instrumental from the Stones and added his own lyrics. They seem sto jump back and forth being at times about Mick J's life. and also Mick T leaving the Stomnes behind:

Isn't Leather Jacket dedicated to Richards?

scottkeef
also of interest is the Japanese release of Taylors A Stones throw which includes a bonus of "Seperately" which is the same song as the outtake from the Goats Head Soup album. Both of these songs are credited to Taylor alone, are they not? Correct me if its wrong-I would like to know.

I believe Separately is credited to Taylor/Richards. In any case, I think Taylor did not write the lyrics.

Date: August 21, 2008 22:28

You're right as rain about Seperately, Smokey. My bad! It makes one wonder, though if either of these somgs were released by the Stones if Taylor would've got any credit? Just playing devils advocate!

Date: August 21, 2008 23:04

Separately is credited to Taylor/Richards, but I am almost certain the lyrics were Taylor's only and written specifically for the STONE'S THROW album in the 90s. Keith's co-writing credit was because they wrote the melody together at Dynamic Sound in late 1972.

Date: August 21, 2008 23:25

Well,that makes sense too, Rocky. Lyricly speaking it does favor MTs style on the rest of the cd.

Date: August 22, 2008 00:34

Just got off of work,a lot of good points.I did not know it was recorded in 76,what is the source on that?Also love all the different guitars in Baby I Love You.A slide
break,a acoustic break and finally a proper lead on the fadeout,got to love it.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 22, 2008 00:44

I like this album very much, especially "Leather jacket, Baby I want you nad SW5"!!!

I use to listen to it when I'm down and when I'm up!

With it I knew MT's voice and singing.

I wish he would record another studio album sooner or later.

Date: August 22, 2008 10:37

Leather Jacket is best as a stones-number imo. Listen to "Rare Tracks (don't remember which volume)". Taylor's version is bit lame. So is much of his debut album, too unfortunately. Some great playing though..

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 26, 2008 19:12

Taylor's debut album is a true classic. I spin it often. Leather Jacket, Alabama, superb!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-26 19:13 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: August 26, 2008 19:32

I believe its on Nico Zentgraf's site (see IORR Connection page) that the MICK TAYLOR LP was recorded in 1976.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 27, 2008 00:06

Rocky Dijon
I'm sure Mr. Taylor would have liked to have continued in this vein. Unfortunately, the punk and disco era was not going to give him a shot. Had Columbia released this in 1976 when it was recorded, it might have fared better. Unfortunately, the album lacks commercial sensibility ("Leather Jacket" is the closest the album comes to radio-friendly) and that prevented Mr. Taylor from slipping through the cracks the way Mark Knopfler would with the first Dire Straits album during the same difficult era for traditional blues/rock guitarists. All the same, Mr. Taylor (and for that matter, Mr. Knopfler) did quite well backing Bob Dylan just a few years later. His reunion with John Mayall and work with Alvin Lee is also worthwhile. Mr. Taylor did quite well commercially when he showed up to play the solo on Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You" in the late eighties. I'm not sure why his management doesn't try to replicate that by trying to arrange a session for Sheryl Crow or The White Stripes or any other contemporary young rock musician who knows and appreciates the Stones. A theater appearance with The Black Crowes could also do much to raise Mr. Taylor's public visibility and help him out commercially as well. That said, if Mr. Taylor is comfortable staying out of the limelight, I can easily respect him all the more for making music for himself and a small, but appreciative fanbase. The man is possessed of both undeniable talent and integrity.

Very well said, RockyDijon. The only disc that I have in my collection, besides the Stones releases, is an album by blues/soul singer Lola Thomas that Fleetwood Mac bassist John McVie masterminded, entitled "John McVie's Gotta Band with Lola Thomas". It's a bit middle of the road in places, but the powerful vocals of Lola Thomas and powerful songcraft of her and her production team still make this album a winner. I once listened to the disc focused enough to actually hear him in the mix, but I don't remember which tracks he's on.

Date: August 27, 2008 03:06

What took him 3 years to release it?
Any clues?

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: August 27, 2008 04:34

curtisdavis
What took him 3 years to release it?
Any clues?

Nico has the recordings being made in 1978 and onward. Articles at the time indicated that Taylor's perfectionist tendencies caused extensive delays.

In 1976, he was working with Miller Anderson and others. I believe they prepared a demo for CBS, but CBS signed only Taylor.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 27, 2008 23:20

Thats a great LP- very melodic, polished and immaculately played. Why he doesnt play any of it live (at least when Ive seen him) in favor of treading out the well worn blues standards is a mystery to me. "Broken Hands" and "Leather Jacket" sound like they might be great live....

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 28, 2008 00:32

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 28, 2008 02:00

Hey ablett, what are you trying to show us?

The suspense is killing me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 28, 2008 09:58

XHTML

Date: August 28, 2008 10:29

<Why he doesnt play any of it live (at least when Ive seen him) in favor of treading out the well worn blues standards is a mystery to me. ">

He did play Leather Jacket when I saw him in Oslo in 1995. I think Alabama is casually in the setlist as well. Not sure though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-28 10:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 28, 2008 11:44

Mick Taylor Leather Jacket

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home