Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love Is Strong - Keith on vocals
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 10:56

Maybe it is well known, but I have just heard it for the first time and it is great. Which makes me think of how cool it would be, if during a concert Mick would do some of the Keith's numbers and vice versa. That would be good even for the warhorses like BS or JJF:

Re: Love Is Strong - Keith on vocals
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 21, 2008 11:03

Happy24
Maybe it is well known, but I have just heard it for the first time and it is great. Which makes me think of how cool it would be, if during a concert Mick would do some of the Keith's numbers and vice versa. That would be good even for the warhorses like BS or JJF:

I'd certainly like to hear Mick do some of Keith's numbers, but not vice versa...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 21, 2008 11:06

well, we already hear a lot of Mick doing Keith's numbers - Love Is Strong being just one example. smoking smiley

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 11:06

I'm with you, I love Keith's version of this. My thinking was that Mick could do You Got the Silver.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: August 21, 2008 11:11

Sleepy City
I'd certainly like to hear Mick do some of Keith's numbers, but not vice versa...

Well, it is a pure speculation, but let's go on with it (I like it). What I meant is that if Keith did some of the Mick's numbers, the songs would have to be rearranged of course. I think of a deconstruction in a way that Bob Dylan treats his old hits. That is why I think it would be healthy for some of the warhorses. But it is true, that only very few people would appreciate it. I would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 11:11 by Happy24.

Date: August 21, 2008 11:25

Happy24
Sleepy City

Well, it is a pure speculation, but let's go on with it (I like it). What I meant is that if Keith did some of the Mick's numbers, the songs would have to be rearranged of course. I think of a deconstruction in a way that Bob Dylan treats his old hits. That is why I think it would be healthy for some of the warhorses. But it is true, that only very few people would appreciate it. I would.

There's also the problem that Keith has difficulty these days in playing guitar & singing at the same time, & we need his chords throughout JJF & BS.

I must admit I've never been much of a fan of Keith singing lead vocals with the RS (either on stage or on record), though I like the duets ('Salt Of The Earth', 'Memory Motel') & would like to hear more of those.

Posted by: Simon ()
Date: August 21, 2008 11:40

with sssoul
well, we already hear a lot of Mick doing Keith's numbers - Love Is Strong being just one example. smoking smiley

There's a studio version existing, where mick sings You Got The Silver. I tell you, it's poor. The voice doesn't suit.

That's the same with wine: Once you had a real god one, you won't like the cheap one...

Date: August 21, 2008 11:45

>> There's a studio version existing, where Mick sings You Got The Silver. <<

i know, Simon. it doesn't do a thing for me either, but i gather some people like it.
what i mean is that Keith has written miles of tunes for Mick to sing - it's one of his main jobs -
so we hear Mick singing "Keith's songs" all the time. we don't know of any songs that Mick wrote for Keith to sing, do we ...
well, i believe Party Doll is one, but that's pure speculation.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2008 11:46

The impression of Keith's vocal version of "Love Is Strong" is the same I got from listening to Keith's solo albums: what Mick could have made out of this.... Even though "Love Is Strong" is written by Keith, it is the way Mick finishes the melodies gives them the final touch, and which makes them 'real' songs. Keith basically just gives sketches of the melodies, constructed around the chords and riffs (but sometimes that IS good enough; just think of "Take It So Hard", etc).

But what I don't like about this song is its naive lyrics. To me they sound like sketches too, just to sing anything, nonsense to rhime with the music, and for some reason the guys decided to leave them as they are.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 11:49 by Doxa.

Date: August 21, 2008 11:49

Doxa
The impression of Keith's vocal version of "Love Is Strong" is the same I got from listening to Keith's solo albums: what Mick could have made out of this.... Even though "Love Is Strong" is written by Keith, it is the way Mick finishes the melodies gives them the final touch, and which makes them 'real' songs. Keith basically just gives sketches of the melodies, constructed around the chords and riffs (but sometimes that IS good enough; just think of "Take It So Hard", etc).

My thoughts exactly. thumbs up

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 21, 2008 11:50

Happy24

Couldn't agree. They each have their unquestionable strengths, and vocals quite simply ain't Keith's. No contest. Let Mick sing it thanks v much.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 21, 2008 12:11

Totally agree with paulywaul on this.
Keith is the undisputable riffmaster, but his singing on Love Is Strong is terrible.
Just my two cents of course.

Date: August 21, 2008 12:24

... of course it's not a "contest" - it's music.
and of course both of the Rolling Stones' lead vocalists are very effective singers -
that's why they are both lead vocalists for the Rolling Stones.

i grasp that Happy24 is positing a "what if" scenario just for speculative fun,
but the Glimmer Twins each have their own vocal strong points,
and generally i reckon they know what they're doing when it comes to deciding who sings what.

meanwhile those Voodoo Lounge demos give us beautiful glimpses of the songwriting process
and it's a privilege and a wonder to hear them. it seems weird to me to compare them critically with finished tracks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 14:48 by with sssoul.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 12:25

"I'd certainly like to hear Mick do some of Keith's numbers, but not vice versa..."

i think this example shows exactly that. "love is strong" a great song when mick is singing it.

Date: August 21, 2008 12:54

with sssoul has it right as far as I'm concerned, it's not a contest and it's rather pointless to compare Keith's dub/ take to the finished product on the album, which has the benefit of Ronnie's playing, Mick's harp, as well as the back-up singing of Keith et al.

It's like comparing a sketch of a painting to the finished work, not that there's anything wrong with sketches--Rembrandt made a few nice ones and, I submit, so has Keith.

Put the whole band behind him on this one and I think it'd sound wonderful.

And for everybody who complains about Keith's set being a beer/ pee break, I think this one might keep some of those folks in their seats or on their feet. (I can also imagine Keith doing a more mournful version of Ruby Tuesday that builds up to a bursting crescendo.)

Date: August 21, 2008 13:17

>> I can also imagine Keith doing a more mournful version of Ruby Tuesday <<

now that you mention it, i can too.
i'd love to hear Beast of Burden the way he originally wrote it as well -
the 1983 acoustic version on the so-called Honeymoon Tapes is very fetching indeed.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 21, 2008 13:40

Is it me, or at 2:49 does Keith say "What's that in German, Don?" followed by a laugh???

Date: August 21, 2008 14:05

Or What's that little German done?

Date: August 21, 2008 14:38

paulywaul
Happy24

Couldn't agree. They each have their unquestionable strengths, and vocals quite simply ain't Keith's. No contest. Let Mick sing it thanks v much.

Vocals are a big strength of Richards' - depending on the type of song.Brown Sugar ,JJF etc. would not be good for him but,listen to How Can I Stop,Thru & Thru etc..

Keep in mind that the version of Love Is Strong that we are talking about is an unfinished product.If they decided to keep the Richards' lead vocal,it would have been polished up more for the official release.The same goes for Almost Hear You Sigh which,by the way,if Jagger is not going to sing it any more,I say add it to the K.R. section.

Date: August 21, 2008 14:43

>> "What's that in German, Don?" <<

i believe it's "what's that in German, darlin'? "

>> The same goes for Almost Hear You Sigh <<

yeah, that one - even though (as i've already noted) i reckon the Glimmer Twins generally do a fine job deciding who sings what,
one can certainly wonder how it came to pass that Mick wound up singing that one.

Fight is another like that, albeit for different reasons.
and it's so hilarious that Mick took it on. hail hail Rolling Stones, eh?!
on a similar note, Had It With You would work very nicely as a close duet a la Sweethearts Together smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 15:18 by with sssoul.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 21, 2008 15:42

Judging Keiths vocal-abillities on this "demo-version" of LIS is really pointless. I mean clearly, both lyrics and melody are far from finished.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: August 21, 2008 15:51

Winning Ugly VXII
Vocals are a big strength of Richards' - depending on the type of song.Brown Sugar ,JJF etc. would not be good for him but,listen to How Can I Stop,Thru & Thru etc..

Keep in mind that the version of Love Is Strong that we are talking about is an unfinished product.If they decided to keep the Richards' lead vocal,it would have been polished up more for the official release.The same goes for Almost Hear You Sigh which,by the way,if Jagger is not going to sing it any more,I say add it to the K.R. section.

I fully agree with you (and others). The LIS is a sketch and it is beautifull as such. I can't help it, I just like Keith's singing.
And I also have to agree, that Mick's and Keith's voices are good for different types of songs (and Keith's version of JJF that I have suggested probably wouldn't be the best). So at the end...I can be Happy with the way things actually are. Nice.

Date: August 21, 2008 16:34

audun-eg
Judging Keiths vocal-abillities on this "demo-version" of LIS is really pointless. I mean clearly, both lyrics and melody are far from finished.

I'd agree, except that I'd say this is a perfect Keith song. If it had be on Main Offender I'd have thought it would fit right in. It's like Wicked As It Seems's little sister. Or big brother . . . but it's definitely in the same family.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 21, 2008 19:25

Well, there is the rest of that disc where Keith sings on basically the entire album's worth of tunes plus a couple others or something to that degree. Obviousy - as it sounds on the disc - he was just screwing off and not really putting anything into it. Because although it is funny it's really bad.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 21, 2008 19:40

do you think this is a live vocal, done at the same time as the guitar? or is the vocal overdubbed? There's an acoustic--is that another track of keith, or is someone else (ron? weren't these sessions at his house?) playing that? mick?

I agree that looking at it as "mick vs. keith" doesn't make much sense. But I also don't think it's true that you can't judge a singer's potential from a knock-off performance like this. That's sort of like saying you can't tell if a show was good unless it was professionally recorded. I think it's clear even from this take that keith is an intuitive, soulful singer.

Date: August 21, 2008 20:20

>> But I also don't think it's true that you can't judge a singer's potential from a knock-off performance like this <<

what i was protesting (and i think some of the other posters too) was the criticism of this demo
as it compares to the completed version - i mean of course the completed track sounds more polished
than this glimpse of a stage in the songwriting process. but sure,
Keith's musicality and singing ability come through on the demo.

as for your other question, i reckon the vocal is overdubbed. but i don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 20:22 by with sssoul.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 21, 2008 22:53

camper88
audun-eg

I'd agree, except that I'd say this is a perfect Keith song. If it had be on Main Offender I'd have thought it would fit right in. It's like Wicked As It Seems's little sister. Or big brother . . . but it's definitely in the same family.

Keith said it himself that LIS is the cousin of Wicked, so no wonder.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 21, 2008 23:48

Keiths LIS is a stone cold joy! I listen to that alot along with "You Got It Made".

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:45

Happy24
Sleepy City

Not too sure "only very few people would appreciate it"..
Perhaps a majority among the semi-hardcore fans would not do;
but the show-attenders are of course compilated by so many more segments.

Posted by: ilikemick ()
Date: August 22, 2008 11:03

with sssoul
>> ">> The same goes for Almost Hear You Sigh <<

yeah, that one - even though (as i've already noted) i reckon the Glimmer Twins generally do a fine job deciding who sings what,
one can certainly wonder how it came to pass that Mick wound up singing that one.

Fight is another like that, albeit for different reasons.
and it's so hilarious that Mick took it on. hail hail Rolling Stones, eh?!

Good morning!

For Almost hear you sigh Keith said himself, thaT "it suits him better than it does me". (timeisonourside.com)

why is it hilarious that Mick sings Fight? Is there any evidence that Keith wrote the lyrics and that he wrote them about Mick? I only found what Keith said about it on the timeisonourside site, and he only says, that, after Mick had left the sdudio, he "felt like I want to get into a fight (laughs)". Than Mick came back and they worked on that song...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home