Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was ATGB really the first?
Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: August 20, 2008 16:14

It's always been said that ATGB was the first song written by Mick and Keith. But was Andrew's Blues recorded before they wrote ATGB? Andrew's Blues was recorded in Feb 1964. ATGB was written some time in 1964, anyone know when?

Re: Was ATGB really the first?
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 20, 2008 16:26

Let's not forget the 1963 J.W. Thompson/ Brian Jones piece "Rice Krispies."

I understand that doesn't answer your question but I think that's the first song for which a member of the Stones gets writing credit.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2008 16:29

ATGB certainly isn't the first song they wrote. there was just recently a thread about this ...
ah here it is: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 20, 2008 16:29

The earliest Jagger/Richards collaborations were recorded by other artists, including Gene Pitney, whose rendition of "That Girl Belongs to Yesterday" was their first top-ten single in the UK.[46] Richards recalls: "We were writing these terrible pop songs that were becoming Top 10 hits. ... They had nothing to do with us, except we wrote 'em."[47]

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 20, 2008 18:06

I always understood that 'It Should Be You' was the first song Jagger & Richards wrote. It certainly pre-dates both 'As Tears Go By' & 'Andrew's Blues'.

Date: August 20, 2008 21:03

>> It certainly pre-dates both 'As Tears Go By' & 'Andrew's Blues'. <<

yep, as do a few others. like i said on that other thread though, i don't think there's any reason
to assume that their *very* first product ever wound up being recorded.
it might well have been something 100% forgettable - the important thing is that more followed,
and then ... ahh! hail hail Rolling Stones

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 20, 2008 21:08

with sssoul
like i said on that other thread though, i don't think there's any reason
to assume that their *very* first product ever wound up being recorded.

You may be right, though (unlike Lennon & McCartney for instance) it seems that at least some of their songs were heard publicly very soon after they first started writing together.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 02:12

Tell Me was the first I thought

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2008 03:59

jjflash73
Tell Me was the first I thought

Check the link in the posting above from with sssoul

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 21, 2008 20:38

One indication of a song's history is to refer to the publishing details (when release finally takes place). So,
Little by Little/ Tell Me/ Stoned/ Now I've Got A Witness are all credited to the Songs of Peer publishing company (which at some point must have aquired Southern publishing).
That Girl Belongs to Yesterday (I think) is credited to Little A / Pitfield
Will You be my lover tonight / It should be You and all thereafter are with Mirage Music which of course in due course was "bought" by ABCKO publishing.

The timing of when a song was constructed became quite an issue years later with ABCKO claiming right on 4 Exile tracks - released in 1972, so a full 2 years after the ABCKO contract had ended.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 21, 2008 22:22

I'm not sure Andrew's Blues was actually written...was it?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 22, 2008 00:22

One of the thousands of books on the Stones claimed it was "Little by Little" that was the first true Jagger/Richards song. Right or wrong that has always stuck with me.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:39

As Tears Go By was their first REAL success as songwriters imo. That Girl Belongs To Yesterday may have been a top-ten UK hit, but how many of those who bought records back in the 60's, actually remember it today?

The other early Jagger/Richards penned songs were flop singles. Shang A Doo Lang, It Should Be You etc. They barely scraped the top-40

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 22, 2008 05:01

yeah but ATGB is the one mick n keith themeselves give the credit as being the first

Date: August 22, 2008 10:08

really? i don't think i've ever read/heard Mick state that. i know Keith has, but ... Keith's historical accuracy varies. smoking smiley
ALO has stated that ATGB wasn't the first. ALO of course also gets things wrong, but
since a sizeable handful of other tunes were recorded before ATGB ever was,
there doesn't seem to be any reason to assume it was their first effort.

Date: August 22, 2008 10:22

<As Tears Go By was their first REAL success as songwriters imo.>

The Last Time was their first REAL success imo. Keith has also stated that in various interviews.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 10:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 22, 2008 17:03

DandelionPowderman

The Last Time was their first REAL success imo. Keith has also stated that in various interviews.

As a song recorded for themselves, then yes. It was the first Jagger/Richards single and it reached number 1.

In terms of songwriting howver, I personaly feel it was As Tears Go By. The song is still widely known to this day and everyone in '64 knew it was a Stones composition.

Date: August 22, 2008 17:15

>> It was the first Jagger/Richards single <<

technically Tell Me was the first MJ/KR original A-side
but since that was a US-only release of an album track,
it didn't have the same significance as a UK single release like The Last Time.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 22, 2008 22:30

In David Dalton's book The First 20 Years which came out in the early 80's, there's an an interview with Mick from the early 70's and he says the first song they wrote was It Should Be You.

Date: August 22, 2008 23:15

with sssoul
>> It was the first Jagger/Richards single <<

technically Tell Me was the first MJ/KR original A-side
but since that was a US-only release of an album track,
it didn't have the same significance as a UK single release like The Last Time.

I also beleive that Heart Of Stone was a US single, prior to the UK release of The Last Time.

Date: August 23, 2008 13:32

>> there's an an interview with Mick from the early 70's and he says the first song they wrote was It Should Be You. <<

in According to the Rolling Stones he says "One of the first songs we came out with
was that tune for George Bean, the very memorable 'It Should Be You'".
so it seems like we just have to wait for the time vehicle to go back to 1963 and check.
me and Rockman have made reservations :E

Date: August 23, 2008 15:33

One early song I would be interested in knowing more about is the one they supposedly wrote for The Beatles, as a thank you for I Wanna Be Your Man.

Is there anything known about this?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 23, 2008 18:48

Big Al
One early song I would be interested in knowing more about is the one they supposedly wrote for The Beatles, as a thank you for I Wanna Be Your Man.

Is there anything known about this?

That'll be "Give Me Your Hand (I'll Hold It Tight)" eventually recorded as a B-side by Teddy Green and truly awful it was too!
You can hear a snippet here:
[www.amazon.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home