Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: What's the worst concert you ever saw? (Non Stones)
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 25, 2008 00:59

Saw Elvis Costello at the hockey rink at my college -- late 80s. It was just Elvis with an acoustic guitar. He brought a spinning wheel with 100+ songs of his on it. I thought he would NEVER EVER stop. Went on for four hours. My roommate, who was an Elvis freak, loved every second of it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 25, 2008 01:59

It was quite possible that an act finishing the Forum by 9 to 9:30 p.m. could make it to the Palomino via Limo to start playing at 10:30 or 11. In those days, main club acts wouldn't get on stage until about that time, sometimes closer to midnight.

If the show was an 8:30 show, Jerry must have played from about 9:20 to 10:10 or 10:15....yup still possible to be on by 11:15 or 11:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-25 02:07 by BluzDude.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 25, 2008 02:01

Donnow if I've written this a dozen times & many will hate me for
typin' this, but NICK CAVE at Ritz, Stockholm, 1987 was a real stinker..
He was zonked out on smack & shouted in 180 miles per hour all the time.
Nice the first ten minutes............

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 25, 2008 10:49

Good old Ritz. I saw many wonderful concerts there, but the worst I think was Pete Shelley. He had one hit, Homosapien, and I think he played that song at least three times to fill out the 45-minute set. A real rip-off, that gig.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 25, 2008 11:24

Radiohead 2006. How boring...!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 25, 2008 12:14

BluzDude
It was quite possible that an act finishing the Forum by 9 to 9:30 p.m. could make it to the Palomino via Limo to start playing at 10:30 or 11. In those days, main club acts wouldn't get on stage until about that time, sometimes closer to midnight.

If the show was an 8:30 show, Jerry must have played from about 9:20 to 10:10 or 10:15....yup still possible to be on by 11:15 or 11:30

I guess you're right. Certainly on his 1966 U.K. tour he occasionally played 2 different venues on the same night.

Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: August 25, 2008 17:01

THE CURE in 1978 after "Killing an arab" me and about 20 others were there. It wasn't the lack of audience rather a distinct lack of charisma & excitement, in other words - dead boring.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 25, 2008 22:33

The Greatful Dead 1980 Cape Cod Mass---- they must have played for 3 hours and only did 2 songs !!! seemed like an eternity......

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 25, 2008 23:07

For me it is one of 2 shows:

BOB DYLAN (late 1978, early 79) in Rochester, NY. The first concert I ever left early. There was nothing redeeming about it. Dylan's singing was unrecognizable, and his backing band seemed as lost as the audience was.

GRATEFUL DEAD 1981 BUFFALO MEM. AUD. - The second show I ever left early, though it was a couple of hours long, it seemed days long. They were out of tune and teh whole show seemed like a soundcheck where they were trying to get in-tune. Slow, sloppy, plodding, unlistenable....plus whirling, tripping hippies who were unaware that the 'music' they were dancing to was only at that tempo in their mind.....the band was playing at 1/10 of the speed that they were moving. Really really bad.

A friend used to have a bumper sticker that read: 'There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert' Thankfully, that's true.

Thankfully, we got to see the Stones the day after the Grateful Dead - a total breath of fresh air.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 26, 2008 15:31

Tina Turner in the 90's

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home