Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which Stones Songs Do The Stones NOT like?
Posted by: carlito ()
Date: August 20, 2008 01:04

I've read that Keith didn't much care for Emotional Rescue (although in the Jump Back notes, he calls it a good song?). He's also hasn't had much good to say about Undercover of the Night, and didn't he fall asleep laying Fool to Cry?

What about Mick? There's probably some he's gotten tired of, but has anyone read anything where he talks about not liking certain songs the way Keith has?

Seems like Ronnie is happy playing any of them. Has Charlie ever mentioned certain songs he didn't care for? Did Bill?

I don't know why this question occurred to me, I guess just curious how the politics and all that play out?

Re: Which Stones Songs Do The Stones NOT like?
Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: August 20, 2008 01:13

I recall reading that Mick isn't too keen on Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 20, 2008 01:24

In Musician magazine, 1987 - Mick said that he hated "Mother's Little Helper".

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 20, 2008 01:32

Remember having read that Keith could live easily without Don´t stop

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 20, 2008 01:44

Jagger seems the most reserved regarding his work, probably 'cause he's asked more. If you go by interviews, he seems flippant regarding
Cloud, Breakdown, Have you Seen Your Mother, Mother's Little Helper,
most of Between The Buttons, most of Satanic Majesties,
some of Exile, most of the mid-'70s albums, Emotional Rescue, UnderCover,
Dirty Work. I'm not sure about the rest.
However, I think very few songwriters blow their own horns
and jump up and say "Ain't this great?"

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 20, 2008 02:24

Keith has often been critical of the 1964-1966 singles, but usually because of the mixes &/or production.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 20, 2008 04:58

For each of their sakes, I hope that they don't secretly dislike playing any of their hugest hits...

Do you think they each like to still play "Satisfaction" at each and every concert? Almost like they MUST play that song.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 20, 2008 05:35

schillid
For each of their sakes, I hope that they don't secretly dislike playing any of their hugest hits...

Do you think they each like to still play "Satisfaction" at each and every concert? Almost like they MUST play that song.

Well, you can take this with a pinch (or pound) of salt like I did,
but I knew a guy that was friends with Keith, and Keith told him
he didn't really care for playing Brown Sugar.
Doesn't mean he didn't like the record, just didn't care for playing it live.
In my high-school days when we played covers, there were many songs that
I loved the record, but hated playing live. Satisfaction was one.
I Saw Her Standing There was another. Great songs, great records,
and the bands I was in were fine, it was just...I didn't like playing it live.

Date: August 20, 2008 06:24

Why is it that Satisfaction is always the first song brought up when it comes to numbers that are played too much or "at each and every concert" when in fact it has been rested many more times than other warhorses (Brown Sugar,Tumbling Dice,Honkey Tonk Women) ??

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 20, 2008 06:56

Winning Ugly VXII
Why is it that Satisfaction is always the first song brought up when it comes to numbers that are played too much or "at each and every concert" when in fact it has been rested many more times than other warhorses (Brown Sugar,Tumbling Dice,Honkey Tonk Women) ??

One reason why may be that while it's not the most played song (JJF, BS, and HTW have been played more, according to Gazza), it's the oldest song to be played with great frequency. Remember that (while there isn't precise data) Satisfaction's been played for years before these other warhorses were even recorded or performed live. So, not played more than JJF, BS, or HTW, but probably played more than any other Stones songs.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 20, 2008 07:16

it seems basically that mick doesn't like anything old, and keith doesn't like anything new. So "You Got Me Rocking" is pretty much all they agree on, everything else is a chore for at least one of them. And charlie would rather be playing jazz.

it's struck me that keith's disinterest in the band's new material prevented songs like "100 Years Ago" and "Fingerprint File" from becoming concert standards.

Date: August 20, 2008 07:21

cc
it seems basically that mick doesn't like anything old, and keith doesn't like anything new.

Really? I didn't know this about Keith. Why does he play Infamy and This Place is Empty and Slipping Away, etc, in his set? Seems a contradiction.

On the upside they both like something borrowed and something blue, so perhaps a album and tour made up of blues standards?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 07:22 by camper88.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 20, 2008 09:29

I think the band all disliked debut single, Come On, quite a bit. Even to the extent that they refused to perform it in early concerts.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2008 10:44

>> Street Fighting Man <<

what i remember reading is that Mick felt it was inappropriate to perform that one these days,
given his perception of current socio-political climates, not that he dislikes the number.

and passing out while playing Fool to Cry may be indicative of something other than one's opinion of the number
... or not smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 11:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 20, 2008 10:57

Keith hates all of Mick's songs (solo or in the Stones).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2008 11:13

HATE!!!!...WOW Justin how ya know that????

ROCKMAN

Date: August 20, 2008 11:20

And of course everyone except Mick has constantly slammed the Satanic Majesties album over the years.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: August 20, 2008 11:42

Judging from the treatment they give it in concert: SFTD.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: August 20, 2008 12:29

Tantekäthe
Judging from the treatment they give it in concert: SFTD.

100% agree.

Date: August 20, 2008 12:55

camper88
Winning Ugly VXII

One reason why may be that while it's not the most played song (JJF, BS, and HTW have been played more, according to Gazza), it's the oldest song to be played with great frequency. Remember that (while there isn't precise data) Satisfaction's been played for years before these other warhorses were even recorded or performed live. So, not played more than JJF, BS, or HTW, but probably played more than any other Stones songs.

Tumbling Dice has to have been played more as well.It (unlike Honkey Tonk Women for most of the '72 tour) has never been dropped except for a small chunk of shows in '76.Aside from that,it has only been rested at random one-off shows in early 1999 as well as Albany '05 - That has been about it.(I don't understand why the Stones chose Albany to rest it either as they hadn't played a show there since before T.Dice was released.)

Date: August 20, 2008 13:07

According to Gazza, here's the top ten most-played, with Satisfaction just edging out Tumbling Dice:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash (1,027)
2. Brown Sugar (997)
3. Honky Tonk Women (967)
4. Satisfaction (954)
5. Tumbling Dice (951)
6. Start Me Up (742)
7. Sympathy For The devil (719)
8. IORR (693)
9. Street Fighting Man (661)
10. You Cant Always Get What You Want (615)
11. Miss You (599)
12. Not Fade Away (570)
13. Midnight rambler (538)

From this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: August 20, 2008 14:16

I'm not sure how much notice you can take of MJ or KR's throwaway comments in interviews over the years.

In the Uncut (or was it MOJO) article in 2002 MJ,KR and RW listed their faves and whilst there weren't too many warhorses there weren't too many surprises either (MJ actually says that he's sung Satisfaction too many times to have any kind of objective view of it).

I seem to remember KR saying once that whilst he'll play most things, he understands if the singer doesn't want to sing a particular song.

On the other hand I remember Jagger saying that he liked singing Ruby Tuesday even though he had almost nothing to do with writing it and it was nearly all Keith.

I think the set list in the 'classic' era (1969-82) was generally picked by several defaults if you like: New album cuts, big hits, not too many Decca-era songs due to dispute with Klein etc, some songs ignored due to complexity of arrangements (Moonlight Mile, Winter, Time Waits for No One etc.).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 20, 2008 16:59

Keith's not liking to play Undercover is obvious - it's just not a good tune live - it's just a bunch of noise and it rhythmless. I like the recording of Don't Stop but I can also understand why Keith feels the way he does - it's just a song, there is nothing special to it and it sounded rather one dimensional on the live performance.

I would think that maybe part of their attitude about anything, in general, before 1968 is because of how those times sucked for them - the writing on demand and all the hassle with police, getting busted, etc... although I really can't see how that could be a flashback like that for them - they are just songs. Maybe they really aren't that good and Satisfaction only gets it so much because it was their first huge hit.

But also, they've done much better ones since. I wish they would play more new songs and as far back as say 1968 some obscure songs like 100 Years Ago, Fingerprint File, Jigsaw Puzzle, Turd On The Run, etc...but we all know where that goes.

And if Keith doesn't like playing the new tunes then why did they bother doing a new record? In one way, they must not like doing new tunes anymore because they basically ignored BANG even though half the album was just aping the be played live.

Date: August 20, 2008 17:19

>> because they basically ignored BANG even though half the album was just aping the be played live. <<

"aping to" or "aching to" (is that a spellchecker at work? smoking smiley)

technically they did play half of the Bigger Bang album on the tour,
unless you count the "bonus tracks" from the "deluxe edition".
true that not many of them got played as much as they deserved,
but in fact they did play 8 of the 16 numbers on the album,
and ABB was the album most represented on the ABB tour, even though it doesn't seem that way.

but yes, it would be very good to give more of the album more airing in concert. maybe next year smoking smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 20, 2008 17:36

cc
it seems basically that mick doesn't like anything old, and keith doesn't like anything new. So "You Got Me Rocking" is pretty much all they agree on.

And that's not even a good song!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 20, 2008 17:44

sssoul... I know they played however many - they just didn't play them consistently! And that's how I take it to be they hardly noticed the album for the tour name. It seemed as the tour went on they played less and less compared to the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle/Voodoo/Bridges tours...I know they didn't do the same amount every show on those tours but they were pretty much giving a good dose most of the tours.

Yeah, I meant aping. Don't those tunes seem to be aping about to be performed live? Just for my own shits and giggles, if I was the Stones I would have played:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No, Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died

That would be a good solid representation of the album - and you notice I left 2 of the 4 singles off - because I would have picked better singles!!! Anyway, that's just my beef - they really should have been pushing the new record more every show. Because I think it's a great record. And why not?

Date: August 20, 2008 17:52

>> Yeah, I meant aping. Don't those tunes seem to be aping about to be performed live? <<

hard for me to say, when i don't know what the phrase means!
is that a widespread idiom, or a "skipstone special"?

>> they just didn't play them consistently! <<

yeah, as i noted i know what you mean, and whenever they feel like bringing more of them on stage
i will be very happy. meanwhile i was just pointing out a pair of often-overlooked statistical facts.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 20, 2008 21:09

with sssoul
but in fact they did play 8 of the 16 numbers on the album,

That's correct, but please remember that e.g It won't Take Long was played only twice and then dropped from the setlist.

Date: August 20, 2008 21:13

Although I'd hate them to become a purely nostalgia act, it can be very boring hearing too many unfamilier new songs in a show. Those 1978 live audios may sound great in retrospect, but I'm sure that many people at the time weren't so keen on hearing 7 or 8 songs in a row from the (then) latest LP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 21:27 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 20, 2008 22:06

camper88
cc
it seems basically that mick doesn't like anything old, and keith doesn't like anything new.

Really? I didn't know this about Keith. Why does he play Infamy and This Place is Empty and Slipping Away, etc, in his set? Seems a contradiction.

On the upside they both like something borrowed and something blue, so perhaps a album and tour made up of blues standards?

well those are "his" tunes. Of course he'll play those, in his set. Meanwhile, more mick-ish numbers, the ones I named, "Fool to Cry," "Tops," "Undercover" (hardly "rhythmless," skip--if anything, it has rhythm at the expense of melody) are tried a couple of times and dropped. It's a wonder that "Let It Bleed" made it throughout the '81 (and '82?) tour.

then again, mick often slags off the latest album in his comments as they're released, revealing how ultimately half-assed their productions are, while keith plays along more with the "greatest since Exile" BS.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home