Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: when did you realise the stones were the best band you ever heard?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 14, 2008 04:04

JJF studio version when i was in first grade, i was hooked, but the first record i bought was HTW , my father bought it for me

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 04:43

not until after I really started to listen to music (does that make sense?)...I had heard their music, along with The Beatles for years, I guess it was around 12 or 13 for me....first band I can remember really listening to is Led Zeppelin (thought Led Zeppelin II was the perfect hard rock album (still do)), anyway it was soon after I ventured into the Stones, cuz the bluesy Led Zeppelin I was an early favorite...

Exile, my all time favorite release took me a while to get, but when I got it, I got it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: August 14, 2008 05:44

June 28, 1978.

Posted by: zee ()
Date: August 14, 2008 06:03

ah yes...I was 8 years old...sitting by the pool in Miami...transistor radio cranked up...Satisfaction roaring out...and my dad yelling TURN IT DOWN!...I knew I had something...1965 it was I think

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 14, 2008 13:34

The Stones were allways part of the soundtrack of my life, but i realise that their was more to them than the radio hits when I picked up a second hand copy of Exile as a spotty 17 yr old.
but they have never been my "best band ever" no one has.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 14, 2008 13:53

I used to be a Beatles fan in the late sixties, When Satisfaction came out in 65 I was 13, I used to make fun of it by tooting my Bycycle hooter to the riff. We were on holiday at Yarmouth(England) in 64 and my older Brother went to see tham, I couldn't really see the logic, but now I'd give anything to have been there.

I then I heard Let it Bleed On the Emporor Rosco Show (Radio 1) in 68 and was hooked, I saw them at London roundhouse in 70 or 71, Earls Court in 74, paris and Knebworth 76, Leeds and London 81 then Wembly and Manchester 90. I have lost track after that but at least twice on every tour since (in England) . Never been dissapointed. After seeing the Stones it always seems to be a little dissapointing seeing another band (Apart from Pink Ployd, Earls Court 1994). Roll on next tour.

I was 16 when they played Hyde Park in 69 but my dad wouldn't let me go, I begged him but it wasn't to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-14 13:55 by pgarof.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: August 14, 2008 13:57

I remember listening to Hot Rocks as a kid, and as much as I loved all the songs, it was the Live song in the mix that showed me just how sublime their greatness was. So I guess the answer to the question would be, "while listening to the Ya Ya's version of Midnight Rambler"

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: August 14, 2008 14:13

In 6 days, 20.08. it will be exactly 10 years (20.08.1998) since I first saw Stones live in Croatia and realized that this is the band I'll be listening my whole life. I was 14 years old and that was love at first sight!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 14, 2008 14:41

I always liked The Stones, but they never reached "my favourite" status. I believe if they were better as well as more imaginative live, then things might have been different.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 16:38

I remember my sister's boyfriend bringing over Brussels 1973 on vinyl and about 20 of us sat around listening to it over and over again, all day long. Couldn't get on with the rest of the day. I never knew what it was (which concert or the significance of it), I only knew that it stopped me cold. One of my brothers dragged out his reel-to-reel and we made a copy of it. I think it was called Let's Buy Keith Some Teeth. I may have been smoking something and got the name wrong.

Not long after, I wanted to learn how to play guitar. My brother played classical really well and I was hoping he'd teach me. Instead of teaching me classical, he told me: grab some records of some songs that I'd want to learn.

Without even thinking about it, I grabbed BB, Ya Ya's, and Hot Rocks, and LiB. When I listened to them as something to learn, I knew: bestest bandest everest.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 14, 2008 18:01

summer 1977. I knew the Stones before but I bought a greatest hits double album called"Rolled in Gold" in france and started to listen to it every day. At the same time Keith Richards' name was in the press a lot and I began to be fascinated by his public personae. To this day the Stones are ,for me, the best band in rock and roll history.
Rock and roll,
mops

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 14, 2008 18:48

forest73
17 October 1973
Place:Bruxelles
afternoon show Gimme Shelter
"" j 'en ai encore la chair de poule "" in french in text !

I was there too with the RTL Train from Paris ( I still have the ticket in my "vault" ) . Et j'en ai encore la chair de poule".

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 18:54

doubledoor
So I guess the answer to the question would be, "while listening to the Ya Ya's version of Midnight Rambler"

I remember that moment. Pick up the needle, back it up. That couldn't be what I thought it was could it? Sure enough it was. I couldn't hear that one enough.

I really thought it was one guitar played by two guys or two guitars played by one guy, really couldn't be sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-14 18:56 by camper88.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: August 15, 2008 00:27

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: August 15, 2008 00:49

have yet to realize the stones are the "best band". Never thought you could really judge art, and well, its music, so its art, right? Its all subjective, I can probably pinpoint when the band became my "favorite band", which is in 1982 when i got my hands on ya-ya's . . .

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 15, 2008 08:20

July 29th, 1998. After the first concert I saw.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: when did you realise the Stones were the best band you ever heard?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 15, 2008 15:59

this is a great question - i've been pondering it but ... "every day" is the best i can come up with.

i went to my first show already feeling like a major fan, but yeah: witnessing them in concert for the first time
definitely kicks one into a whole new orbit ... hail hail Rolling Stones

Date: August 15, 2008 16:14

after listening to stripped a couple of times. i was already a big fan but i only owned hot rocks, rewind, and voodoo lounge. stripped opened up my curiosity to get several studio albums and then more studio albums. better late than never, because it's only rock and roll but.......

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: August 15, 2008 16:19

Around September 1990. Found my dad's Yer-ya-ya's album and put it on! I was absolutely blown away when I heard JJF!!! Still of this day, when I put it on I get goose bumps!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:16

When I first heard Let It Bleed in fourth grade.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:48

I was a big fan a long time, but what really made me fanatic was Brussels Affair.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 16, 2008 16:38

When I was younger it was a battle between the Beatles and The Stones with my friends and classmates. I went with the Stones. I came to appreciate the Beatles music, but good lord, they had a cartoon show and lunch boxes. Can you imagine animated Stones?

The Stones actually scared the crap out of me, so of course I fell in love with their music. Paint It Black kind of sealed the deal.

Date: August 16, 2008 17:09

probably at some point when i was listening to let it bleed it clicked..maybe the ivories on monkey

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 16, 2008 17:31

1972- I saw my first Stones concert in Toronto. Little did I know that that would be the ONLY show that I would ever see with Mick Taylor on board (my next show was three years later in 8/75 in Buffalo). I think I may have peed my pants seeing the Stones on stage in 1972. Unfortunately, that whole show was like a blur that went TOO fast! However, when I heard Midnight Rambler on stage for the first time, it sent chills down my spine!

That year in 1972 I bought Exile on Main Street & Hot Rocks and played those albums to death!! When I first heard Exile, I thought it was so unique as if the music came from another lifetime-like it was a radical departure from their earlier works. When I bought Hot Rocks, I was TOTALLY amazed at the output of songs that the Stones had produced up until that point....just amazing. I then went backwards and started buying all their earlier albums. To this day Get Yer Ya Yas Out & Exile remain my two favorite Stones albums..

PS- One of the best moments for me was in the late 1980's or early 90's, Mick Taylor came to my hometown of Rochester, New York for some music event and came to the legendary HOUSE OF GUITARS music store (musicians from all over the world come into this store which carries classic guitars, instruments & rare rock memorabilia on the walls and ceilings) just up the street from me and signed my copy of Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Just twenty people showed up for this event and I was able to talk to him without distraction for about five minutes or so! Mick Taylor and I shared a laugh when some young kid came up to Mick and asked him to sign his copy of SOME GIRLS (which Mick politely signed even though he stated that he didn't play on)....Great memory!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 18:01 by Sighunt.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home