Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot: The Alarm
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 10, 2008 20:51

I had the pleasure of seeing a band I liked back in the '80s. The Alarm recently in NYC. A GREAT show (even though they were the opening band). What impressed me was that they played with such fire, and didn't rely on being a nostalgic/novelty act, playing just their old material. Half the set was new material from their new record, Guerilla Tactics. Pretty daring....but it fit right in and worked. The crowd got to hear fewer hits, but got exposed to some great new music.

I only bring this up, in that I wish the Stones had the same confidence in their last record to actually play more than 2 or 3 songs per concert. They might bore a few fans who came just to relive the 60's or 70's....but they might also turn a few onto some great new music....or did the band just not believe in the record?

PS: The Alarm are playing in the UK this Fall. I highly recommend checking them out. Different line-up from the 80's...but they can play.

Re: ot: The Alarm
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 10, 2008 22:26

always been a great live band -much respect for Mike Peters

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 12, 2008 18:17

Saw them open for Dylan a long time ago, I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect, but remember being impressed afterwards!

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 12, 2008 21:22

saw them open for the furs last year - they were great!

OLDKR

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: August 12, 2008 21:57

Saw then supporting U2 in the old Cardiff Arms Park back in 87

I met Mike Peters at the Welsh music awards last year - a really top bloke. He won a Lifetime Achievement award

Date: August 13, 2008 19:07

I love a band that just goes out and plays hard and with passion...and isn't afraid to try something new.

I was told that they had trouble getting radio play when they released new material in 2004, after a long layoff...so they released it under a fictitious name, with a bunch of young guys in the photos, instead of teh now middle-aged band members. It actually got airplay and made it on the charts in the UK.

Is it a true story?

Date: August 13, 2008 19:49

If you like The Alarm check out Coloursound, you won't be disappointed!

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 13, 2008 20:20

the Alarm are/were a very underrated band

saw Mike Peters with Dead Men Walking a couple of years back -great performer

Date: August 13, 2008 21:04

thanks for the recommendation, knockyourteethout....

btw....if you go to thealarm.com you can listen to the new record streaming. Check out THREE SEVENS CLASH. I love the energy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home