Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine a Light DVD edits
Posted by: Tully ()
Date: August 10, 2008 04:25

Hi all, just got the Blu-Ray version and noticed that all the Buddy
"MotherF#$%^&" Guy's were edited, including at the end of the song. Was it edited out in the theaters? I know it's NOT edited on the CD. Why would they edit that out??

Re: Shine a Light DVD edits
Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 10, 2008 04:50

Wasn't it edited from the film, but included on CD? I don't recall, but my memory vaguely recalls surprise at MF edited out - long before the DVD

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 10, 2008 07:12

The Buddy Guy Stuff Stunk !!! The Band Was Out Of Sync !! If you look Keith is Showing Buddy The Arrangement On Stage....

Charlie

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2008 11:18

>> Wasn't it edited from the film, but included on CD? <<

right. one of the interviews with Mick and/or Scorsese around the time of the premiere mentioned it as well:
there's a limit to the number of times they can use "taboo words" in a PG rated film, and they didn't want it labelled R.

>> The Buddy Guy Stuff ... <<

you're disqualified - run along now!

one thing i have been waiting for some comment on, though, is that splendidly intense lingering close-up
of Mr Guy not singing, but simply gazing. he's leaving out part of his verse at that point -
and it's certainly very effective leaving-out, but does it seem to make Mick anxious after a couple of bars?
i don't have the dvd yet (waiting for the European release this time) but in the cinema the fourth time
i had the impression that Mick is getting ready to "cover" for Buddy.

sorry i'm not expressing this too well - i hope someone will comprehend what i mean anyway!
the moment works just splendidly, of course, but i wonder if it was deliberate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 11:37 by with sssoul.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 10, 2008 11:31

The DVD is exactly the same as the movie was in theaters. The "Buddy Motherf... Guy" is censored in the movie (and therefore DVD) but not on the CD. Threre are also more announcements between the songs (e.g before As Tears Go By and Far Away Eyes) in the movie than on CD. On the other side, the announcement before Loving Cup is only on the CD.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 11:34 by midnrambler.

Posted by: mistress ()
Date: August 10, 2008 13:42

the @#$%& was not censored in europe

Date: August 10, 2008 18:29

>> the @#$%& was not censored in europe <<

if you mean the "Buddy Motherfvcker Guy" part, it was censored all four times i saw the film in Europe.
in two different countries

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 10, 2008 18:38

I'm quite shure I heard it in German cinemas.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 10, 2008 19:14

It was censored in Germany too. I'm absolutely sure. You must have been sleeping when watching it... The movie is identical worldwide (apart from the subtitles).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 22:50 by midnrambler.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 10, 2008 21:15

I am really sure it was not censored in Austria, I remember that people were really surprised that Mick used the word (so was I, before I knew the background).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 21:15 by Lorenz.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 10, 2008 21:21

Hmmm, I think I remember this word being used at the cinema as well....maybe I just dreamt it? It's hard to swear on a motherfu**er though

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 21:26 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 10, 2008 22:25

On what planet do people who censor "Buddy Motherfvcker Guy" live? They should be severely kicked in their ass

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: August 10, 2008 22:44

with sssoul
>> Wasn't it edited from the film, but included on CD? <<

right. one of the interviews with Mick and/or Scorsese around the time of the premiere mentioned it as well:
there's a limit to the number of times they can use "taboo words" in a PG rated film, and they didn't want it labelled R.

>> The Buddy Guy Stuff ... <<

you're disqualified - run along now!

one thing i have been waiting for some comment on, though, is that splendidly intense lingering close-up
of Mr Guy not singing, but simply gazing. he's leaving out part of his verse at that point -
and it's certainly very effective leaving-out, but does it seem to make Mick anxious after a couple of bars?
i don't have the dvd yet (waiting for the European release this time) but in the cinema the fourth time
i had the impression that Mick is getting ready to "cover" for Buddy.

sorry i'm not expressing this too well - i hope someone will comprehend what i mean anyway!
the moment works just splendidly, of course, but i wonder if it was deliberate

I also noticed that moment - I thought that the close up of Buddy just staring off was unbelievably intense - he moved at that moment in my mind from a sort of Blues court jester to one heavy dude. I've seen him probably 10 times and never saw that side of him.

Date: August 10, 2008 23:07

.... i really did express that very poorly, sorry!
there have been lots of comments on that splendidly intense moment in the film -
what i'm trying to ask about is whether Mick seems about to "cover" Buddy Guy's silence.
the last couple of times i saw the film it seemed that way to me: like the silence in mid-verse was unexpected.

it's not important - it's a brilliant moment in any case - but since i don't yet have the dvd to study,
i thought i'd ask if anyone else perceives Mick's response to the silence that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 23:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 11, 2008 00:17

with sssoul...

my gut feeling when watching the film in Imax was that Mick was indeed at least slightly uncomfortable with the long pause, but went with it anyway. it's something Buddy Guy might do in his own concerts, but quite unexpected here, with the band.

maybe someone else who is going back to that spot on the dvd can add
to that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2008 18:33

Actually, Buddy Guy totally screwed the song up. It wasn't just Mick having trouble with it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2008 18:34

Oh and the censorship of the DVD is so lame. The movie is over with. It's very un-Rolling Stones to have that censorship on the DVD.

It's just not rock'n'roll. It's Disneyfied. Never thought I'd see The Rolling Stones take the Disney route.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 11, 2008 19:25

Re. Buddy Guy Silence.

The way I understood it was that he sung the line before a bar too early, meaning he had to wait a while for his next line to come along. One of my favourite parts of the movie!

I can't beleive we have to wait so long for it in the UK!

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: August 11, 2008 19:57

>> ... we have to wait so long for it in the UK!<<

Why is this? I don't understand why we in Canada could buy the DVD at Best Buy (and probably other stores) on July 29, but it's not available in Europe. Does anybody know what the reasoning is behind this?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 11, 2008 20:06

I´m getting this....

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: August 11, 2008 21:04

whats in the limited editio box set?

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: August 11, 2008 21:24

yeah-Micky 1 has it right. Buddy Guy came in too early on his vocal,finished early,realized his mistake and waited it out to come in again. I didn't notice Jagger's expression.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 12, 2008 00:46

The Greek

Numbered limited edtion:
4 Additional Songs: Undercover of the Night, Little T&A, I'm Free, Paint It Black
15mins Behind the Scenes Featurette
Digital Copy (must be disc 2??)
Numbered limited edition
16 Production Notes Collectable Booklet
Highly collectible packaging

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 12, 2008 01:15

mickijaggeroo
The Greek

Numbered limited edtion:
4 Additional Songs: Undercover of the Night, Little T&A, I'm Free, Paint It Black
Numbered limited edition

...added with a promise of a RS.com DVD, a "new" cap - and a greeting from Cohl

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 12, 2008 01:17

mickijaggeroo
The Greek

Numbered limited edtion:
Numbered limited edition
no blu-ray = no sale

Date: August 12, 2008 10:34

>> yeah-Micky 1 has it right. Buddy Guy came in too early on his vocal,finished early,
realized his mistake and waited it out to come in again. I didn't notice Jagger's expression. <<

thanks to everyone who helped clarify this.
the burning question "what was going through Buddy Guy's mind during that intense close-up"
may have found an answer as well :E

it's a splendid moment in any case - and oh how they loooooove to play the blues

Date: August 12, 2008 15:42

thanks for the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home