Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Is Mick Taylor one of the most distinctive guitarists ever?
Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: August 11, 2008 09:34

I think Greg Ginn is one of the most unmistakable and distinctive-sounding guitarists ever.

Date: August 11, 2008 18:22

Who's Greg Ginn?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2008 18:28

Keith Richards is distinct - his sound is distinct, how he plays is distinct, those songs are distinct. Mick Taylor is not. There is nothing pivotal about Mick's playing in accordance to The Rolling Stones - you don't hear a Mick Taylor solo on the radio and say Oh that's The Rolling Stones, you hear Keith Richards and say That's The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: August 11, 2008 19:52

Skip - What an idiotic comment!

MLC

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 11, 2008 20:45

....yeah I'm going to have to disagree with skip on this one.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 11, 2008 20:56

right on the money skipstone

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 11, 2008 22:13

Ket

...ket talking absolute shite as per usual.

Date: August 11, 2008 22:29

Owl - too many A-Holes around here, and they call themselves "Stones Fans"...

MLC

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 11, 2008 22:31

yes he is!

Date: August 11, 2008 22:35

G-bastard - Huh??

MLC

Date: August 11, 2008 22:44

Barn Owl
Ket

shite because I agreed with somebody that made a completely valid point of the stones sound. Maybe you should go and listen to Brussels and have a wank to taylors pointless solos, you might feel better nobhead

Date: August 11, 2008 22:47

Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

shite because I agreed with somebody that made a completely valid point of the stones sound. Maybe you should go and listen to Brussels and have a wank to taylors pointless solos, you might feel better nobhead

Listen shitface, you were complaining the other week that MT was too loud!!

...err distinctive or what, dumb brain!!

Date: August 11, 2008 22:53

Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

I never posted anything about Taylor being too loud shit for brains, get your facts straight moron

Date: August 11, 2008 22:58

Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

I never posted anything about Taylor being too loud shit for brains, get your facts straight moron

In which case, you are not only an A1 gobshite of the first order, but a very forgetful one at that.

...you seem to know a lot about wanking, mind.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 11, 2008 23:07

Girls, take it easy and have a beer smileys with beer

Back to the original question if MT is "one of the most distinctive guitarists ever", I have to say no. He's a great player, brought a lot to the Stones, but there are many more out there who are much more distinctive and recognizable, Keith being one of them.

Date: August 11, 2008 23:19

Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

In which case, you are not only an A1 gobshite of the first order, but a very forgetful one at that.

show me the post @#$%&!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 12, 2008 00:34

Good to see Barn Owl working hard at them friendships again......

Date: August 12, 2008 01:28

Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

show me the post @#$%&!

What post, dickhead?

Or are you referring to the endless juvenilistic Taylor-bashing posts from yourself even though he's supposedly not distinctive enough for you to hear!

Get away from the kleenex for a minute, leave your tiddler alone for a few seconds, and then make up your mind as to whether you can actually HEAR Mick Taylor on Stones records or not. You can't have it both ways.

If you can't, then what the f**ck have you been criticising him for?
If you can, then why are you slavishly agreeing with Skipstone?

Date: August 12, 2008 01:41

Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

show me the post @#$%&!

What post, dickhead?

Or are you referring to the endless juvenilistic Taylor-bashing posts from yourself even though he's supposedly not distinctive enough for you to hear!

Get away from the kleenex for a minute, leave your tiddler alone for a few seconds, and then make up your mind as to whether you can actually HEAR Mick Taylor on Stones records or not. You can't have it both ways.

Show me the post where you accuse me of "complaining the other week that MT was too loud!!" if you can I will never post on this site again and apologise to you, but we both know you just pulled that shit our of your ass, so how about being a man and admit that you got me mixed up with someone else or are you just going to be a complete pussy and continue lying?

Date: August 12, 2008 02:50

Wow. I bring up a valid point - what is distinctive? You truly honestly think a Mick Taylor solo (or whatever) is more or as distinctive as any riff or lick Keith has ever done? Are you hanging out with Winehouse? If you heard the whole Mick T solo section of Time Waits For No One on the radio the only reason you'll know it is because you know the tune, not because it's distinctive of The Rolling Stones.

HALF the reason the Stones are so well known is because of Keith Richards having a distinct sound - his guitar playing period. Mick Taylor has NOTHING to do with that - his playing is not distinct in terms of the Stones sound.

His playing was. What he did and how he did it was, but it stops there. I don't see what is so difficult to accept about that. Maybe y'all've been trainspotting a bit too much?

Date: August 12, 2008 02:54

Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

show me the post @#$%&!

What post, dickhead?

Show me the post where you accuse me of "complaining the other week that MT was too loud!!" if you can I will never post on this site again and apologise to you, but we both know you just pulled that shit our of your ass, so how about being a man and admit that you got me mixed up with someone else or are you just going to be a complete pussy and continue lying?

I really cannot be arsed searching around for daft quotes hear and there, so I'll take your word for it that you NEVER EVER have said ANYWHERE that Mick Taylor played too loud. NEVER, because obviously he NEVER did. Nice to see that we finally agree on something at last.

So tell me what it is that you detest about the man that compels you to hurl criticism at him almost constantly?

Oh, and while we're here, can you please get round to answering my previous question(s)?

Date: August 12, 2008 02:56

Well Keith said he played too loud. I don't know what else you need.

Date: August 12, 2008 03:01

skipstone
Well Keith said he played too loud. I don't know what else you need.

...and that's another reason why (criminally) we can never hear much of Ronnie.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 12, 2008 03:06

Here's some examples of what that Ket-guy keeps on spamming the board with.
"Wanking" seems to be his main thing

Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

show me the post @#$%&!

What post, dickhead?

------------------------------
Re: Tour is on - Maybe without Ronnie - Holy Shit
Date: July 23, 2008 20:14

(bumbum
Just listen to Brussels affair and you will start dreaming about the old guitar playing that could have a renaissance with Mick T. presence.)

I have listened to it and Taylor ruins about half the tracks with his endless, pointless guitar wanking. The absolute last thing they need is to have that washed up has been join them

Please get well Ronnie!

----------------------------------------------------------

Re: GS - London 1973 Best Version With Mick Taylor
Date: May 3, 2008 02:46

Quote:
bassplayer617
(One thing that distinguishes this track: it's nothing more than a showcase for a hotshot lead guitarist. This presents the Stones as a strictly conventional hard rock band, given the context of the times. Now, this was about the time I became a fan, and I was enamored of it too, for awhile.
However, in listening to previous and subsequent recordings, I realized that this was simply another phase in the band's evolution. Unfortunately, many folks seem firmly entrenched into this version of the band, and remain so 35 years after the Stones moved on.
I faced down one of my guitar-playing buddies about this, and the truth came out: he isn't really a Stones fan. He is a Taylor fan. The same could be said about several of the IORR forumers.)

spot on bassplayer, and the way I see it the 'hotshot lead guitarist' was not what the band was all about, Taylors playing may have been technicaly better then the rest of the band but so what! by 73 the band was starting to sound like all those other overblown boring 70's guitar bands. I think Taylor was great on the 69 tour because the solos complimented the band but in 72 and more in 73 it was too much wanking. I never wanted the stones to be a zeppelin kind of thing with 20 min songs and endless solos but they were almost venturing into that area on the 73 tour.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 03:12 by Erik_Snow.

Date: August 12, 2008 03:07

skipstone
Wow. I bring up a valid point - what is distinctive? You truly honestly think a Mick Taylor solo (or whatever) is more or as distinctive as any riff or lick Keith has ever done? Are you hanging out with Winehouse? If you heard the whole Mick T solo section of Time Waits For No One on the radio the only reason you'll know it is because you know the tune, not because it's distinctive of The Rolling Stones.

HALF the reason the Stones are so well known is because of Keith Richards having a distinct sound - his guitar playing period. Mick Taylor has NOTHING to do with that - his playing is not distinct in terms of the Stones sound.

His playing was. What he did and how he did it was, but it stops there. I don't see what is so difficult to accept about that. Maybe y'all've been trainspotting a bit too much?

Keith is distinctive. Agreed.

But so is Taylor, for exactly the same reasons that you've cited about Keith.

...and please, less with the "I don't see what is so difficult to accept..." nonsense! It's MY opinion!

Date: August 12, 2008 03:11

Erik_Snow
Here's some examples of what that Ket-guy keeps on spamming the board with. There's too many other examples too mention....
Wanking and stupidity seems to be his main thing

Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket
Barn Owl
Ket

show me the post @#$%&!

What post, dickhead?

------------------------------
Re: Tour is on - Maybe without Ronnie - Holy Shit
Date: July 23, 2008 20:14

(bumbum
Just listen to Brussels affair and you will start dreaming about the old guitar playing that could have a renaissance with Mick T. presence.)

I have listened to it and Taylor ruins about half the tracks with his endless, pointless guitar wanking. The absolute last thing they need is to have that washed up has been join them

Please get well Ronnie!

----------------------------------------------------------

Re: GS - London 1973 Best Version With Mick Taylor
Date: May 3, 2008 02:46

Quote:
bassplayer617
(One thing that distinguishes this track: it's nothing more than a showcase for a hotshot lead guitarist. This presents the Stones as a strictly conventional hard rock band, given the context of the times. Now, this was about the time I became a fan, and I was enamored of it too, for awhile.
However, in listening to previous and subsequent recordings, I realized that this was simply another phase in the band's evolution. Unfortunately, many folks seem firmly entrenched into this version of the band, and remain so 35 years after the Stones moved on.
I faced down one of my guitar-playing buddies about this, and the truth came out: he isn't really a Stones fan. He is a Taylor fan. The same could be said about several of the IORR forumers.)

spot on bassplayer, and the way I see it the 'hotshot lead guitarist' was not what the band was all about, Taylors playing may have been technicaly better then the rest of the band but so what! by 73 the band was starting to sound like all those other overblown boring 70's guitar bands. I think Taylor was great on the 69 tour because the solos complimented the band but in 72 and more in 73 it was too much wanking. I never wanted the stones to be a zeppelin kind of thing with 20 min songs and endless solos but they were almost venturing into that area on the 73 tour.

Thanks for that Erik!

It proves several points in one fell swoop.

Date: August 12, 2008 03:47

...jeez, enough with the wanking, Ket

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 12, 2008 03:50

Yeah, Luke, it's getting out of hand

Date: August 12, 2008 04:01

.....he should switch hands

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 12, 2008 05:12

Lukester
.....he should switch hands

A switch hitter? I though this thread was about guitars,not baseball.I'm so confusedconfused smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home