Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts - 'Ode To A High Flying Bird'
Date: August 8, 2008 12:51

Myself and the delightful BarRoomQueen ventured out of London last weekend to visit friends and we partook of a few drinks in their local pub. (would have been rude not to!) Anyway, one of the locals (and a friend of our friends) who lives in the village was in the pub and, knowing we are big Stones fans, said "I've got something to show you, back in a second" - he returned with this small white book written by Charlie Watts about Charlie 'Yardbird' Parker.

Here is the front cover :

Here is the back cover :

The book was in excellent condition, not quite perfect, and is in the form of an illustrated poem. This guy obtained it back in the 60's and was showing it to us to see what we thought. We had never seen it before or even heard of it and so couldn't comment on potential value or rarity.

I was wondering if any of the knowledgeable collectors out there could shed any light on the book's 'collectibility' and if it is rare or if in fact several copies are in circulation.

It is a charming book and it was a thrill to have seen it.

Re: Charlie Watts - 'Ode To A High Flying Bird'
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 8, 2008 12:54

well I know it, there´s a reprint with CD or LP wich wassold here I think a month ago or so

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 8, 2008 13:05

the box which goes with this book is very often available on Ebay.
the 10 inch record is rare.
great stuff.
Bless Peter King for his good work...

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: August 8, 2008 13:10

I have the original book from the 60s and the reprint. The original book fetched 500$ easy on ebay sometime ago.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 8, 2008 15:07

I'm lucky to have the original boxset autographed by the quintet when they played Chicago thanks to he great "Chooch" McGee! Buy one on E-Bay - you'll love it!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 8, 2008 15:19

Perhaps Charlie will get round to re-releasing it again, one day, with a new Introduction.
I assume he owns the original author's copyrights.
And for sale at a sensible price.

Date: August 8, 2008 16:20

Actually the name of the boxset is From One Charlie...

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 8, 2008 16:24

And the boxset is a reprint of the book published in, what, 1964 or so...
Quite valueable, the original one!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 8, 2008 16:37

>> published in, what, 1964 or so... <<

ahh here it is - i've been combing through Rolling With the Stones, i knew it's mentioned in there somewhere!
page 30: "In 1961 he wrote a book on Charlie Parker, Ode to a High Flying Bird, eventually published in 1965."

Date: August 12, 2008 11:15

Thanks for the feedback, I will let the owner of the book know.......although I am sure he will never part with it.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 12, 2008 11:51

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 12, 2008 12:42

Not much to add here, most of the comments are correct. The original 60's book is indeed very rare and can fetch over £500. It was reissued in the 1990 as part of a boxed set that came with either a 10" or a CD. The 10" is killer rare, I think 1,000 or less were done (I will have to confirm). Appart from the contents varients (CD/10" ) there are 3 country varients. It was issued in the US, UK and Japan. The nicest one is in Japan where you get an extra insert and a nice yellow obi strip (I will photograph if anyone is interested).

I think there were only 20,000 in total but again I will have to confirm, it was certainly no more than 40,000. The US had half of them and the UK and Japan split the rest. Charlie signed a good number of the books but don't know how many, it won't have been much more than 1,000 if that many.

Below you can see a selection of some of the promo stuff:

Top left: Ronnie Scott's UK Premiere invitation
Top Right: Table tent decoration for Ronnie Scott's Premiere
Bottom Right: Band Promo photo
Bottom Left: Japanese Programme

Blue Note US Premiere Invitation

Promo Poster

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 12:44 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 12, 2008 14:03

Thanks, Matthew....I have two of the reissue 10" box sets, one sealed, one open.

JR

Date: August 12, 2008 16:07

By the way, the trumpet player was only 19 when they played Chicago as part of a mini tour of the US...pretty impressive.

On a quirky note, I sat in the front row during the show and the sax player was right in front of me. He was wearing a suit, the trousars were cuffed, but the back of the left cuff was down...it drove me crazy during the whole show! I wanted to reach out and turn it up or tell him to fix it...no, I'm not OCD...

Lastly, Charlie played a novelty sax part to open the show...the same bit that opens the record...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1385
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home