Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Who are the three most over-rated artists / groups?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 31, 2008 14:36

Coldplay
The Smiths
Nirvana

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 31, 2008 14:37

Gazza
Bruce is a 'topical' subject of conversation....The same applies when U2 or McCartney are on tour and also applied when Zeppelin....

I think you got it right, Gazza. I don't have problems with that - I like Boss, Beatles, Macca, U2. The only band that appears here a lot that I don't know what to think of is Coldplay - have heard their records, have seen the DVD, but really...don't know what to think of them. I go to see tem live in September just to find out, I will make up my mind then. Hopefully.

Anyway, back to the topic. I am thinking very hard which bands or artists would I say are overrated and I am really lost. I think that all bands are overrated by their fans, because ater all it's only roc'n'roll...But that is not what this topic is about. It is impossible to forget what I personally like and be objetive. When I read this topic I obviously start to think about bands/artists that I don't like (just like most of the people here, I am sure), but that doesn't mean they are overrated. I don't know...sorry...too difficult for me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-31 16:22 by Happy24.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 31, 2008 14:45

mckalk
Springsteen
Bruce
Springsteen

Just could never relate to the "Jersey boy/common man" theme and then what the hell was "Nebraska" about?

Dont see whats so difficult to relate as the theme is universal, and 'Nebraska'is pretty easy enough to grasp.

In fairness, the persona (if you wish to analyse it) is no less ludicrous than the concept of a bunch of middle class white English kids playing the music of impoverished, black Americans..and charging a week's salary for largely white, affluent audiences to watch them doing so.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 31, 2008 14:51

U2
Bruce Springsteen
White Stripes

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 31, 2008 15:01

Pearl Jam
Radiohead
Aerosmith

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 31, 2008 21:50

Point well taken.

For me,The Stones took the blues and made it sinister at their best and that scared the crap out of me and I loved it. Springsteen's vision did not carry the menace and excitement I was looking for. Good artist, I actually own a few of his albums, but the question was who's overrated. It's interesting a lot of Stones fans listed him.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 31, 2008 21:59

the smiths
radiohead
pearl jam

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 31, 2008 22:03

Coldplay
Nickleback
Santana

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: July 31, 2008 22:42

Over rated

1 Madonna
2 Bon Jovi
3 Lenord Cohen

Must unter rated

1 Neil Young
2 Rolling Stones
3 Rod Stewart

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 31, 2008 22:58

SonnyBoythe3rd
Grateful Dead
Doors
Radiohead

Man, you nailed it!

While we are at it, how about the 3 most under-rated artists?

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Kinks

...and the three most properly-rated artists...

The Rolling Stones
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
U2

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 1, 2008 01:27

I think your picks are INSANE! THE BEATLES!?? OVER-RATED! Now I know you are JOKING!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 1, 2008 04:33

Radiohead
Nine Inch Nails
Jack Johnson
Dave Matthews

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 1, 2008 08:07

Zeppelin and AC DC underated? WOW! The Kinks usually get the most underated top spot, deservedly, but AC DC and especially Zeppelin? AC DC (while I like them) seem to be nothing more than Chuck Berry with a heavier riff. And Zeppelin..where to begin. Sometimes I get the impression that even the Beatles didnt exist. In fact music as we know it didnt exist before Zeppelin, listening to some people. Sorry, as a singer Plant was terrible, he whined and moaned which might be good for some people, but it gets annoying. Bonham 20 minute+ drum solos? Sorry that doesnt mean your good. He was a good drummer, no doubt, but he doesnt hold a candle to Moon. Page? Ok he was an excellent guitarist but after hearing a screeching solo for 10 minutes plus, my ears start to hurt. JPJ was the only member that I think was actually truly talented and that was because he, like Brian Jones, could play almost any instrument you put in front of him. But as a bass player in general, again he doesnt hold a candle to Entwistle. Yes there is a bias in my opinion, I admit, but I am so tired of hearing about how Zeppelin doesnt get the credit deserve and how they revolutionized rock and blah blah blah.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 1, 2008 09:56

coldplay and u2 top my charts...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 1, 2008 10:29

Happy Jack
Zeppelin and AC DC underated? WOW! The Kinks usually get the most underated top spot, deservedly, but AC DC and especially Zeppelin? AC DC (while I like them) seem to be nothing more than Chuck Berry with a heavier riff. And Zeppelin..where to begin. Sometimes I get the impression that even the Beatles didnt exist. In fact music as we know it didnt exist before Zeppelin, listening to some people. Sorry, as a singer Plant was terrible, he whined and moaned which might be good for some people, but it gets annoying. Bonham 20 minute+ drum solos? Sorry that doesnt mean your good. He was a good drummer, no doubt, but he doesnt hold a candle to Moon. Page? Ok he was an excellent guitarist but after hearing a screeching solo for 10 minutes plus, my ears start to hurt. JPJ was the only member that I think was actually truly talented and that was because he, like Brian Jones, could play almost any instrument you put in front of him. But as a bass player in general, again he doesnt hold a candle to Entwistle. Yes there is a bias in my opinion, I admit, but I am so tired of hearing about how Zeppelin doesnt get the credit deserve and how they revolutionized rock and blah blah blah.

This is exactly why Zeppelin is under-rated, a lot of folks like you just don't get it. As for the who, every time I've seen them live, I say to myself...was this a bad show or am I missing something? I think it's all what hits us. I do like the Who, Pete's a great songwriter, John's bass playing was the best, but they come across like wind up robots on stage, at least the 6 or 7 times I've seen them. Maybe I am jaded, because I was at a show here in L.A. when roger said "Good evening Atlanta". That didn't sit too well with me.

Oh and Keith Moon was not a great drummer, he just had personality on stage. Most professional drummers I know think he was a joke, although I give him more credit than that.

Anyway, maybe the Who should be on my list of over-rated bands

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 10:40 by BluzDude.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 1, 2008 10:36

Madonna
Nirvana
Rdiohead

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 1, 2008 11:54

Spice Girls
Bros
New Kids on the Block

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 1, 2008 12:00

Nikolai
Spice Girls
Bros
New Kids on the Block

Bros over-rated? I doubt if many of their ex-fans even rate them highly these days.

I think some people on here are confusing "over-rated" with "least favourite", two very different things (as I explained earlier, The Beatles are one of my favourites, but I still consider them WAAAYY over-rated).

Maybe someone would like to start an "under-rated" thread?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 12:01 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2008 12:04

Talking about over-rating needs some definition work. Over-rated by whom, which criteria, etc. The way I see the case is the media attention, the so called hype that is no way related to the actual contributions. In this sense I can easily related to people who say Elvis or The Beatles are the biggest ones. If one compares their achievements and their role in the musical scene at the time of their actual existence, the history makes tricks of all kind. It is not the case that they were the biggest of their genre (they were), but the way media treats them nowadays it is like they were the only ones. This is absolutely unfair to many of their contemporaries, that these guys took all the grace from the era. It sounds like Elvis was the only rock and roll singer of the 50's, during the first rock and roll revolution. And The Beatles has turned out to be the synonym of the 60's music. Like they were only that matters is the Beatles and all the rest were marginal, coping them or whatever. Okay, now people start to talk about them being a totally a different kind of phenomanon, in the rank of their own.... well, yes, their popularity was phenomenal, much bigger than anyone elses, but if we take the discussion back to the level of music, and their contribution there, I think there exists a real gap between the two.

I don't know, perhaps it is this sort of thing that once one gets a certain status of symbol of a cultural form, then there is no limit in the hype. Bob Dylan is somehow in the danger of getting such a status, too - but because he is not really 'easy' artist at all, or he is too controversial to really be liked my huge masses, I don't think he never gets there. He remains to be the hero of more critical attention than the one offered by big media. (For example, the music The Beatles or Elvis offers is very easy-listenable stuff compared to his)

As far as Led Zeppelin is concerned ,I think they are the most under-rated HUGE ROCK ACT ever exists. Their incredible significance and popularity in the 70's is only recently getting the attention it deserves. Compared to The Stones, Zep was for them in the 70's, almost what The Beatles were in the 60's. And even at the time The Stones got bigger media attention, and the hype (this really pissed Plant and Page, actually). Since they quit they have been not much talked about, but their actual importance and popularity in the grass level has been phenomenal. Just look at the amount of the bootlegs circulating, and I am sure their sells are the biggest in that business. I think one of the reason why they never achieved such a great media attention, or that kind of huge symbol of culture status, is that they were just a band of musicians - there is no charisma or that kind intersting features in Plant or Page than Elvis, The Beatles, or Jagger has. They are not so media sexy, so to say.

And hmmm... what about The Stones themselves... that is difficult, but just to say: in some ways they are too hyped, due to nostalgy related to the revolutionary times of the 60's and their image and fame - this is manifested in the big following in related to their touring circus, but I think musically they are sometimes under-rated (at least by more critical media) - their actual musical achievements are somehow shadowed by their image. This is the case especially with Jagger, really. I think it is one of the biggest open secrets in rock world what a incredible live band they were in their prime in the 70's. As we know, it has not been manifested very well. It is still one of my pleasures to play BRUSSELLS AFFAIR to some rock people who have second thoughts about the credibility of the Stones as real hard rocking band. Ever time it blows their mind away. For example, the version of "Midnight Rambler" is the most definitive piece of rock music ever recorded.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 12:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: August 1, 2008 12:24

Over rated

The Rolling Stones, Europe Tour 2007...smoking smiley

Date: August 1, 2008 13:14

1. u2
2. coldplay
3. radiohead

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home