Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Shine A Light DVD reviews and reports
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 5, 2008 02:22

They're saving all the really good extras for the UK version.

...heh, heh.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 5, 2008 03:01

Max'sKansasCity
Instead of commenting on you "SELF APPOINTED EXPERT ROLLING STONES REVIEWERS"
INSTEAD..
I will take my time to say THANK YOU
to humans like bv, Gazza, Cindy, Helter, Bingo, Luke and you others ..
you good humans know who you are, you are the ones make this a great place to share information, I try to do my small part too.

Thank you GREAT IORRers....
If not for happy IORR members like you all , this site
would be over-run by .....well you know .. sad smiley just scan the grumpy posts on this thread ........ EEEEEEEK!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!for the sun....go outside,,get a tan, be happy...put on some Stones music..and JUST FEEL IT, ITS ONLY ROCK N ROLL!!

Steady on there, MKC - I may be almost 'human' but I also pride myself on being 'grumpy'......

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 5, 2008 03:11

If you really love the Stones, you'll love this movie . There are things that I would edit and add, of course and I think everyone here would fix it up to their liking but the essence of the band was captured and that's what I care about. They caught the band working as a cohesive unit, some moments were far from perfect but I liked some of those moments the best. It reminded me why I love them so much. Raw, not always consistent but cookin!!

Date: August 5, 2008 03:16

By the way, did someone say that the footage of fans interviewed by Malayses was included inALL DVD versions? I sure can't find it on mine! Help!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 5, 2008 03:20

mickschix
It reminded me why I love them so much. Raw, not always consistent but cookin!!

I agree. There's actually a moment somewhere in SWH (I think that it arises from Keith's, Lisa's, and Bernard's performances and then builds through ADTL out to the entire band funneling through Mick into the crowd by the end of the number and that keeps going where I just feel there's no place else I'd rather be than in that f-ckin room.

Raw, not always consistent but still cookin' . . . if it were a restaurant I might send it back but as it's the Stones I look forward to the scrapings.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 5, 2008 03:41

Mickschix,
From what I can figure out there is no footage of fan interviews on any of the DVD's.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 5, 2008 04:26

QUOTE>
>Re: Shine A Light DVD reviews and reports
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 2, 2008 05:25

I thought the behind the scenes clips were as or more interesting than
anything in the actual movie. I could have watched two hours of those
sorts of scenes.

Just to watch those guys work and rehearse is such a pleasure.

I was one of many sitting outside of Fenway Park on Friday night of their
final rehearsal before their opening show that Sunday. I would have traded
the rehearsals for the show. Watching Jagger and Richards working together
is pure magic.

Hearing those 2 nights of practice, almost full sets, it was awesome, ragged glory, spectacular.

We were also across the street in Boston, and sort of wrote what you said back on Sunday, August 21, 2005.

...and we will do our best to be only be very serious from now on, cuz this is serious business.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-06 01:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 6, 2008 04:31

Take away the bits I bitched about - with the TV aside even - I still like the movie and I think they sound pretty damn good - mistakes, wandering playing and everything. Keith's reggae dig in Shattered is a nice touch. Faraway Eyes might be THE reason to own this no matter what.

Their best? I dunno. I've always liked the Bridges live DVD and Flicks is my favourite followed by Gimme Shelter, which I love no matter what. SAL is certainly up there though. For me, it's third - even above anything on The Biggest Bang. So far. I just got that and have been going through it. Some really cool shit. Especially Bob Willis.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2008 12:19

Who is Ronnie texting 1.30 into the featurette...????

ROCKMAN

Shine A Light By The Devil's Advocate
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 6, 2008 03:09

Upon screening the latest by the greatest I've come up with the following disheartening conclusions:

1. Bill Clinton is an oppurtunistic dickhead.

2. The extra musicians are totally distracting.

3. Keith should stop wearing eyeliner, the glam movement is long gone (and by the way, what's the f@ck is up with waltzing around the stage like some f@cking jacka$$ during You Got The Silver when you should be giving your all to the track that I consider one of your friggin staples)!

4. This is the last stones dvd I will waste my hard earned money on!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-06 03:26 by shadooby.

Re: Shine A Light By The Devil's Advocate
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 03:30

Devil's Advocate pt 2...the response..... tounge squarely in cheek.

shadooby
Upon screening the latest by the greatest I've come up with the following disheartening conclusions:

1. Bill Clinton is an oppurtunistic dickhead.

Always was, always will be....been that way since 1988 (Democratic Convention)...this surprizes you?

shadooby
2. The extra musicians are totally distracting.

Same comments since '89

shadooby
3. Keith should stop wearing eyeliner, the glam movement is long gone.

I'm starting to think that the eyeliner is a tattoo

shadooby
(and by the way, what's the f@ck is up with waltzing around the stage like some f@cking jacka$$ during You Got The Silver when you should be giving your all to the track that I consider one of your friggin staples)!

Yes!...couldn't agree more.

shadooby
4. This is the last dvd I will waste my hard earned money on!!!

I don't think its quitethat bad

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-06 03:34 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 6, 2008 03:42

saw 8 times in good cinemas. It's just fantastic !!! the best film with the Stones in concert !!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 6, 2008 03:48

Shezeboss
saw 8 times in good cinemas. It's just fantastic !!! the best film with the Stones in concert !!!

No seeno live-o max-o 89-o or l&g 72-o compadro? Yo hablo spano espano freego!

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 04:44

Spot On Shezeboss!

Saw it many times also & is without doubt the Best Stones film ever.

I am just waiting for it to arrive from Amazon, so I can enjoy it time & time again at home with good friends & a nice drink.

And I love it when Keith "stalks" Ronnie during You Got The Silver - just love it. The song is a true gem on SAL!

SHINE A LIGHT is Stones best ever film!

Hope some day those doubters may just see the light? I hope so anyway.

You keep rockin' Shezeboss - i'm with ya' all the way on this one!!!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2008 05:50

waltzing around the stage like some f@cking jacka$$ during You Got The Silver

Spookiest grave-digger you'll ever see & hear...Cool little performance ...Such a shame ya didn't like...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-06 05:56 by Rockman.

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 05:55

Here Here Rockman!!!!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 6, 2008 06:29

It was Clinton's fundraiser -- the Stones were *his* guests, so how does that make him "opportunistic"?

(that's a rhetorical question; I don't expect an intelligent response)

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 6, 2008 08:30

Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones (1972) focused just as much on Jagger as Shine A Light, but atleast that was a brutally raw concert film.

The IMAX film from 89 is STILL my favorite concert film. I know its overdubbed in parts, and that some of the footage doesn't sync up (cymbol hits on screen but not in the audio), but overall thats the Stones I remember from in person (11 times).

I was there at the Beacon for both nights, and the show was indeed great. The film is fine, but its marred by a few things that I didn't experience in person.

1. Cheesy smiling backup singers. Lisa has a great voice, but smiling during Sympathy For the Devil just doesn't work for me.

2. The sound. Overall its fine, but I have a few gripes. Mick's vocals are up WAY too loud during the entire thing. Everytime he sings a priority compressor kicks in and drops down the levels on everything else. Guitars are too low except for when the camera shows emphasis (which usually is far too little time). Charlie's snare sounds weak.

3. MICK MICK MICK... Ronnie is soloing and the camera is focusing on Mick dancing. Keith and Ronnie are jamming on As Tears Go By and the camera is zooming in on Mick's cavities while he sings 'doo doo doo doo' on the last verse. Where the hell is Charlie? I know he's playing! I hear him! I just don't see him on camera! Daryl Jones barely gets shown at all.

I'm done griping. I'm just glad they're still around. Hopefully they'll go on tour again, and if a concert dvd comes out, hopefully it will have as varied a setlist as Shine A Light, minus all the Jagger focus.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 6, 2008 09:37

rattler2004

It's not.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 6, 2008 09:46

flacnvinyl

I was there at the Beacon for both nights, and the show was indeed great. The film is fine, but its marred by a few things that I didn't experience in person.

1. Cheesy smiling backup singers. Lisa has a great voice, but smiling during Sympathy For the Devil just doesn't work for me.

2. The sound. Overall its fine, but I have a few gripes. Mick's vocals are up WAY too loud during the entire thing. Everytime he sings a priority compressor kicks in and drops down the levels on everything else. Guitars are too low except for when the camera shows emphasis (which usually is far too little time). Charlie's snare sounds weak.

3. MICK MICK MICK... Ronnie is soloing and the camera is focusing on Mick dancing. Keith and Ronnie are jamming on As Tears Go By and the camera is zooming in on Mick's cavities while he sings 'doo doo doo doo' on the last verse. Where the hell is Charlie? I know he's playing! I hear him! I just don't see him on camera! Daryl Jones barely gets shown at all.

I'm done griping. I'm just glad they're still around. Hopefully they'll go on tour again, and if a concert dvd comes out, hopefully it will have as varied a setlist as Shine A Light, minus all the Jagger focus.

Flac's comments represent what has been far and away the biggest criticism of the film on these pages since its release.
The equally tantalising and frustrating thing is that, with all the cameras that were used and the hours of footage that obviously exists, it would be very possible to assemble a much less Mick-o-centric "fans' cut" of the whole film.

Tantalising because the material is available...frustrating because it won't happen ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-06 09:47 by Spud.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 6, 2008 10:13

flacnvinyl

Ditto. This unevenness has been my biggest gripe about the film.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 6, 2008 10:54

Wasn't thus also a complaint about the Last Waltz ie, too much emphasis on Robbie Robertson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-06 10:55 by terraplane.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 6, 2008 14:30

I expect and expanded edition (or special limited 2 DVD set) or a "directors cut" (nonsense, I know!) or a "definite edition" sometime in the future.

A 15-minutes behind the scenes featurette and four extra songs? That is ridiculous, considered the amount of material they have filmed.

I won't buy this release, as it seems to be the "rip-off-edition" before the "definite edition" is released....

Oh wait, there is a 2 DVD-set announced for release in October in the UK!

Date: August 6, 2008 14:52

GLAM, I'm glad you responded to the comment about Clinton, how petty to put down ole Bill when indeed, it was HIS fund raiser that raises millions each year for incredibly worthy causes like aiding disaster victims, building schools etc. Actually that post was one big BITCH, way too much negativity, that made little sense really.....picking on Keith for dancing about during the acoustic portion of YGTS??? SAY WHAT??

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 6, 2008 14:57

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: August 6, 2008 15:12

[www.amazon.co.uk]

yeah, what will be on the second disc???
Also the European cover looks much better IMO

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 6, 2008 15:28

Any idea about the second disc ?
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 6, 2008 15:46

SAL is not even close to being the best stones film ever
GIMME SHELTER
L&G
LSTNT
SAL, thats how i see it anyway,SAL is a very good film IMO , but the above three capture the raw stones just doing there thing, plus this dvd could have been so much better as a deluxe package, cant believe the stones and one of the best directors ever pretty much dropped the ball on this one

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: August 6, 2008 16:23

Stone601
Any idea about the second disc ?
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Could it possible be just the cd in dvd-audio? That's my guess.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 6, 2008 16:54

Justin
rattler2004

It's not

does sound somewhat extreme, even for Keith

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home