Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Shine A Light DVD reviews and reports
Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: August 2, 2008 05:07

i was kinda taken aback at the....budget-ness of the packaging...pretty basic really, no booklet, cheap plastic cover, no flaps or folding, no double disc...you'd think with scorseses 20 cameras...that he'd have MORE behind the scenes footage/interviews to show us...of his favorite band in the whole world

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 2, 2008 05:25

I thought the behind the scenes clips were as or more interesting than anything in the actual movie. I could have watched two hours of those sorts of scenes. Just to watch those guys work and rehearse is such a pleasure. I was one of many sitting outside of Fenway Park on Friday night of their final rehearsal before their opening show that Sunday. I would have traded the rehearsals for the show. Watching Jagger and Richards working together is pure magic.

Date: August 2, 2008 06:15

been watching the movie since tuesday - prolly 7 full times and skipping around a lot - i love it - they have done many years of work to even be able to have the ability to do something of this magnitude - what a great production - definitely the rolling stones - "the greatest rock and roll band in the world" - loved jack white - loved buddy guy - love the set list game - love the interviews - love the history - love the production - love the sound - the giving of the guitar - wow - christina aguilera is hot - the whhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww by lisa and micks moves on she was hot - it just goes on and on - this to me is a great great movie - i called all my friends to make sure they watch it - to me its that good - peace to all

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 3, 2008 05:08

Just got the DVD at Best Buy also, same scene, did NOT ring up $13.99, had to make the dumb clerk void it out and go take a look at the sign that said $13.99. I bought the CD too and THAT was the double, long version for $19.99. I paid more for the cd, that's not right! Just about to watch it, will review later. I did see it at the theatre so it won't be a surprise except for the extras.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 3, 2008 06:09

Just got it tonight at Best Buy for $19.99. Have yet to watch it. Cheap packaging - the disc was made in MEXICO it said on the cellophane wrapper. Huh.

Has anyone noticed (I have not read all of this thread, in fact, since page 2 I think) that it says the soundtrack is available on Interscope Records? That's very interesting...do those people at Paramount have any idea what they're doing? Maybe not since they just seemingly threw this thing together - a boring disc to look at and I think for the first time in history not ONE Tongue And Lips logo ANYWHERE.

This DVD is a CRIME.

Also picked up the 3 live track AC/DC sampler from the box set Plug Me In for about $2.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: August 3, 2008 06:36

skipstone
Just got it tonight at Best Buy for $19.99. Have yet to watch it. Cheap packaging - the disc was made in MEXICO it said on the cellophane wrapper. Huh.

Most dvds are nowadays- especially the ones from Universal. They also sport the cheaper, thinner cases that lack any kind of insert. I think Paramount was the first to stop providing disc art on the dvd itself, and opt for the bland grey look instead. I guess Universal has adopted that approach as well.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 3, 2008 06:52

To skipstone: yes, the packaging is minimal, but it keeps the price down. Tell us what you think after you actually watch it.

Date: August 3, 2008 08:06

Just watched it up until the beginning of JJF and then watched the extra songs - what I could tolerate anyway. Little T&A is terrible - it makes sense why it wasn't in the theatrical release. It's almost embarrassing watching and hearing Keith on that. Undercover Of The Night is a mess as well. I think Paint It Black is the best of the bunch.

The behind the scenes is good - but I agree with the rest of you lot - there should be more!

Martin Scorsese is just as annoying in the DVD as he was on the big screen. I don't care for the censoring. In theatres is one thing but on the DVD? Come on. And you think they'd spell Tumbling Dice correctly in the credits. This must be the first release since their ABKCO era to not feature the tongue and lips on it? Did LSTNT have the logo anywhere?

There's something wrong with my TV - it only works on the right side so Ronnie's playing is missing completely except when he gets the full shots.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 3, 2008 09:15

Just as I expected, skipstone. You never miss a chance to bash the band as they presently exist. I had no problem hearing Ronnie. Maybe you missed Blondie's guitar, because it is accepted (by some) that HE is now the primary guitarist. It doesn't matter anyway, because they are all synching to pre-recorded tapes, right?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 3, 2008 10:43

It is terrible though, bassplayer!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 3, 2008 13:04

I heard that the credits misspell Fool To Cry too. "You're A Fool To Cry" (What I've heard).

About the packaging: If it's a normal standard DVD case, why does that matter? I think it can be nice to have The Stones release something that's not in super jewel case/digipack/DVD cardboard cover/Jake Box from time to time. Everything doesn't have to be special editionish.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 3, 2008 13:25

maybe skipstone you want to get rid of it now that you've watched all that is bearable. You can send it to me )

Re: Anybody been to Best Buy yet?
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 3, 2008 17:01

Harm
Media markt in Maastricht (NL) wil get a "special" (?) DVD box at the end of august. 21 €.

Never thought you were a 'sjeng', Harm! Or were you in Maastricht on holiday?

Posted by: EST62 ()
Date: August 3, 2008 17:28

I Watched my copy last night and I can't really complain except that it just seemed to be a re hash of a Stones show with a high profile director at the helm.
The dvd was ok at best but in my opinion it is no better than some of the boot's that I have. As much as I love the Stones I'm not giving it a bad rap though, I just thought that it was going to be different in some way compared to previous dvd's.
I think Four Flicks, Biggest Bang, and "Ladies and Gentlemen"
are still the best dvd's that I have. And they didn't have a "High profile director" filming them as far as I know. I think that Scorcese in my opinion flopped with this one not the Stones. They did their part.

Date: August 3, 2008 18:33

Hey bassplayer617 - I paid for it, I spoke up about what I think. You make it sound like I hate the band, hate the movie. If I'm not praising every goddamn thing they do then I'm bashing them? Fu*ck you. This is not a kiss ass forum. I call bullshit when I hear it and see it. I've already seen the movie. I like the movie. I'm just calling out what I see. Some people don't like that? So much for an opinion. I actually happen to like the band as they "presently exist". It's just that there is some pretty bad moments as well. As so many people have pointed out.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 4, 2008 01:08

after reading several recent posts....it appears that many are forgetting
that the SAL release is not a Rolling Stones Concert Dvd in the same way that
4 Flicks & A Bigger Bang box sets were. Shine A Light is an "event film"
which was made by a Hollywood director for release in theater and for
dvd in the same way that every regular movie is.....there's no reason
to think a Scorsese release should be decorated with RS lips logos or
booklets in the same way as those that were actually produced by the Stones.

Personally I wish there was more to the packaging but....
it's very rare these days..that inserts/booklets are included
with regular dvd movie releases.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 4, 2008 01:15

"There's something wrong with my TV - it only works on the right side so Ronnie's playing is missing completely except when he gets the full shots"

Not really in the best position to judge then eh?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 4, 2008 01:47

I bought it a couple of days after it came out at Best Buy for $19.99. I agree that that packaging isn't as good as I expected. Just a booklet or something... Like this!

The second part of the film is great, and the Rolling Stones were great. The numbers with Buddy, Christina, and Jack all work well. The numbers with Christina and Buddy are much better than the number with Jack White only because he had a slight pitch problem which I can't seem to get past. I think the Stones play great throughout

The comedic first part of the film with Marty and the boys and the setlist drama... It IS funny, but for me it becomes increasingly pretentious on repeated viewing. Maybe if Scorsese had done it in a way that was more like live TV (think SNL)... with the participants showing that they know that it is all "tongue in cheek".

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: August 4, 2008 06:29

I don't like it at all but I'll wait to hear on my good speakers in a few days.So far I don't like Keith's playing at all,Keith's singing and too much posing.It was like watching another band.I expected to be great but except a few momements it's a total let down for me.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 4, 2008 14:54

JUSTIN, you nailed it! I don't want to repeat everything that you said so I'll state it my way. WHY in HELL can't the Stones show EVERYONE how awesome the are when they move off the top 20 WARHORSE LIST and play some REAL unplugged blues like they played during the EXTRAS- section of this DVD? I was totally enthralled with the snippets they played of Factory Girl, Spider And The Fly, and that gorgeous Wild Horses with no lyrics. Ron on Steel guitar during Factory Girl shows how little he reveals of how great a guitar player he is. Why? Also, someone said how great he was on Connection! DITTO! Anyway, I enjoyed seeing it all again, and I will be watching the Extras section many times over the next few weeks, I'm sure. The bimbos bugged me a lot, because those spots in front should have been for those of us who have paid our dues and followed this band over the years. Shine A Light should be a regular concert number! This DVD will be a very adequate historical record, I believe, for those in the years to come who have never seen the Rolling Stones. Of course all of us die hards see things we'd like to add, or improve and the one big thing for me is to give Jack White the boot! He ruins that song with Mick!!! Why they picked him is beyond me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 4, 2008 15:42

timbernardis
aw hell, I am just waiting for the "Director's Cut" which should have additional material.

How long do those usually take to come out after an initial DVD release, like a year to 3 years?

p

In the vast majority of cases - never.

This isnt like The Godfather or Apocalpyse Now. There's hardly going to be a market for an extended DVD release version.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 4, 2008 15:45

At the end of the day it's a DVD of a film of a pretty decent latter day Stones performance. As such, I'll love it...and I won't expect it to be anything else.

Posted by: drumnyc ()
Date: August 4, 2008 16:44

LOVE THE STONES......MOVIE IS TERRIBLE. TIME TO PACK IT IN BOYS

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 4, 2008 16:51

Take your fingers of caps lock, shutdown your computer and have a lie down!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 4, 2008 17:03

Ronnie plays fantastic! I think the weaving between Keith and Ronnie is also great here.

Minor on the movie is that is 90% Mick Jagger we see in view, meanwhile missing a lot of the solo from Ronnie and Keith. Loved to see more of them playing!

Champagne and Reefer with Buddy Guy is the absolute highlight! What a charisma that Guy has! Played very well by all of the Stones.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 4, 2008 17:11

SAL won;t be released here in the UK until November 10th unfortunately. I tried to order it from Amazon US, but a message came up saying that it may have advanced Region coding, which could mean that it can't be played on "region free" DVD players. Has anyone in the UK or Europe purchased SAL from the US, and can it be played on your DVD players?

Date: August 4, 2008 17:15

Hey ablett - did you not read what I said? I've already seen it. All I can really hear is Keith's playing when I watch it on the TV at home. On my laptop I hear everything. But on the TV with just the right side coming out - it's very interesting - what Keith's doing in JJF is a bit mystifying.

I'm bringing it over to a friend of mine to watch with on HD-DVD and through a stereo. Should be good.

Date: August 4, 2008 18:28

john lomax
SAL won;t be released here in the UK until November 10th unfortunately. I tried to order it from Amazon US, but a message came up saying that it may have advanced Region coding, which could mean that it can't be played on "region free" DVD players. Has anyone in the UK or Europe purchased SAL from the US, and can it be played on your DVD players?

Hi,
living in Germany I didn't want to wait for the European release of SAL so I purchased the American one.
I have a Panasonic DVD-Recorder that's codefree and everything's fine in regard of playback.So I must doubt that there's any advanced region coding on SAL.Maybe just misinformation to prevent from spreading the DVD worldwide before its time.
Go for it.
Michael

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 5, 2008 00:27

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-06 02:12 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: August 5, 2008 02:13

I LOVED SAL! I think it was very well done! Great footage, some just incredible! It was so awesome seeing Mick and Keith share the mic for a brief moment! You don't get to see that much anymore! I wish the bonus material was a bit more extensive and a few more songs would have been nice but I could wish for tons of extra stuff of course but the bottom line is, I loved it.
I took a break just before Buddy Guy and we jumped the buzz up a notch or two before proceeding! It was a perfect spot for it too.
Thank you Martin for doing such a great job on this for all of us and the generations to come! Once again you have succeded in capturing the ture essence of great Rock and Rollers doing there thing!
Very Happy Here!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home