Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill 2003 statement "musical stagnation"
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 27, 2008 15:41

Maybe you had read this at the time

[www.stonesplanet.com]

Mick and Keith 'have no life' says Bill
Bill Wyman says the Rolling Stones only keep performing because the band members have no life outside the band.

"I think Mick and Keith only go on tour because they don't know what else to do with their time," he told German SZ Magazin.

The former Stones bass player says he's always had a wide range of interests.

"I took photographs, I opened a restaurant, produced other musicians and even did some archaeology," he said.

"Leaving the band was the beginning of the best time of my life."

Wyman also blamed Jagger and Richards for the Stone's musical stagnation.

"They like to play things safe, that's it. The Rolling Stones will never develop musically."

"Some artists take risks, like David Bowie, who sounds different on each album. But not the Rolling Stones."

Yet, he says he will go and see his former band mates perform this summer if he gets the chance.

"It's going to be nice: Chat a little back stage, have the odd drink or two, then follow the show from the audience without having to be up there yourself."

Re: Bill 2003 statement "musical stagnation"
Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 27, 2008 15:49

I like to think that all of the four current stones have their interests outside the band. mick produces his films, keith is known as a very devoted family man, ronnie, well he drinks and charlie's got his horses. if they do enjoy to tour and make new records, what's wrong with that?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 27, 2008 15:59

Bill's right.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 27, 2008 16:13

Bill's quite right, but it's not bad to live for the music!
[www.metrolyrics.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 27, 2008 16:19

He wouldn't lead this kind of life without the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 27, 2008 20:16

Yeah, the Rhythm Kings is a real avantgarde band winking smiley ..

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 27, 2008 22:30

How many number ones did the Rhythm Kings have anyway?

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 28, 2008 00:44

Baboon Bro
Yeah, the Rhythm Kings is a real avantgarde band winking smiley ..
Exactly my thoughts. The Stones helped to write the book of rock and took it to the next level. The Rhythm Kings are a nice band but they contribute nothng to innovation of rock.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 28, 2008 00:47

I know a lotta folks who would call Rhythm Kings a sleeping pill.
But I dont; I fancy the pure, ortodox style. Kinda lecture it is.
And he use to have some fab musicians with him.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 28, 2008 01:56

Bill Wyman leaving the Stones didn't make the slightest bit of difference musically (if anything things improved). I'm sure Bill knows this, hence his stupid comments all the time.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:02

I hasten to add that the stones haven't improved since Wyman left, especially the rythmn section

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:08

ablett
I hasten to add that the stones haven't improved since Wyman left, especially the rythmn section

You cannot blame D.Jones for that??

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:28

Wyman's only chance to get the newspapers' attention is a statement about the Stones.

The Stones are not developping the rock music anymore, that's right. They stopped doing that after Exile. But the sound of Beggars Banquet is very different to Black And Blue, as to Emotional Rescue, as to Undercover as to Bridges To Babylon. So they follow some trends. Plus they do some classic rock stuff like on Some Girls, Tattoo You, Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang.

I don't understand Wyman. On one hand, he wants to forget about the Stones. He doesn't want to sign Stones LPs. He tells everyone that he doesn't miss the band and playing stadium shows. On the other hand he sells books about their history. And the Rhythm Kings wouldn't have been so popular without the former bass player of the Stones.

So what's the point. It's just a small statement in the paper.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: July 28, 2008 07:55

I think Bill forgot a long time ago that if he hadn't lucked into joining the Stones at the start, he'd have become a bus driver or something. No restaurant, no books with his name on them, no producing other artists, and no fancy old house on a big property to walk around with his metal detector.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 28, 2008 10:35

Pokalheld
Wyman's only chance to get the newspapers' attention is a statement about the Stones.

I don't understand Wyman. On one hand, he wants to forget about the Stones. He doesn't want to sign Stones LPs. He tells everyone that he doesn't miss the band and playing stadium shows. On the other hand he sells books about their history. And the Rhythm Kings wouldn't have been so popular without the former bass player of the Stones.

So what's the point. It's just a small statement in the paper.
Well he was in the band for quite some time so let him state what he wants. If he doesn't sign Stones LPs it's probably because he doesn't want to devaluate the price of the signed items offered on his website. Saying that he doesn't miss the Stones or playing stadiumshows must not be confused with denying their shared history. Good to see he can still atract crowds under his own name.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 28, 2008 11:37

I don't know...nothing against Bill, but I never thought that when he left the Stones that it was a disaster for the band or that the band should have quit.I have also never quite understood those many people on this board who want him back so much. It would be nice, but I can live without it.
I remember that when I read the Stone Alone book a couple of years ago I found it pathetic how he exactly described how he contributed to which song and how he was never mentioned in the credits. I remember how much he wrote about In Anothe Land - his only RS song - is it really supposed to put him on the same level witm M and K? I don't mean to undermine his contributon on Miss You and many other songs, but...
I am sure he is just frustrated he never got the same attention as Mick or Keath (is that the reason of his stupid boasting about the amount of women he had? The exact figures in his book are...pathetic). But the truth is that he is no Mick and he is no Keith. And I think he will be never able to live with it. If he was really so happy with his life after he has left the band, he would not mention it on every possible occasion, adding how immature Mick and Keith are. It is just my opinion, you may disaggree...

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 28, 2008 14:23

well, he was invited to Leah's wedding. So I guess there is not so much negative in all this.

I believe you can be tough with people you like, just because you would like them to improve themselves. It would be a positive way of thinking about this.
If Bill attended a couple of Licks tour shows, that means he thinks there was still an interest in seeing the Stones live, even if the musical stagnation is true in the studio (argh the bonus tracks on 40 licks... no inspiration at all)
The band gave so much already..Exile on main street was something plenty of nerve for the time.

The fact is that people like Bowie, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant and others really did some introspections in other musical worlds. Was it successfull ? artistically and intelectually (for the artist himself) maybe yes. But The Stones are so big that you cannot imagine the new record deal for world music, or experimental stuff. Bowie made mistakes and came back with Heathen and Reality, 2 great solid records (I love them) but no more daring.

Getting out musical stagnation would just be a good album. This is the point. People may like very different styles if the music is just good.
It can be Duffy, Amy Winehouse, Arcade Fire or these young artists born on the web. No one wait for musical revolution. Just good songs.
Steel wheels, voodoo lounge and some songs on BB (both BB, Baybylon and Bang !) were excellent (what does Bill think about this one ?).
Before there was no stagnation in "heaven" "down in the hole" or the brilliant 'waiting on a friend". Was it commercially successfull ?? NO these songs are not hits. However it was indeed innovator. So it is not so simple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home