Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Revisiting "Stripped/Stripped Companion"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 26, 2008 20:53

Taken together, this is a fantastic collection of remakes/unreleased tracks/live performances. It is also a great example of what the Stones COULD do in terms of releasing the contents of the legendary vaults.

I'm listening to this on Mick's birthday, and the man is in fine voice on all of it, including the remake of "Memory Motel". Keith's ravaged voice is also effective on this one.

Then there's "The Storm", which takes us back to the Mississippi Delta, and "So Young", which belongs in a smoky Chicago barroom. Throw in that great B-side, "Jump On Top Of Me", and the unreleased "I'm Gonna Drive", both classic raveups, and revel in it.

Do yourself a favor, and make yourself a 2-disc playlist, one disc studio, one disc live. Excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-26 20:58 by bassplayer617.

Re: Revisiting "Stripped/Stripped Companion"
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 26, 2008 21:07

I've made my own version of Stripped a couple of times, including some of those Voodoo B-sides as well as the Like A Rolling Stone and Wild Horses singles and it came out basically like this:

Street Fighting Man
Like A Rolling Stone
Not Fade Away
Shine A Light
Tumbling Dice
Gimme Shelter
I Go Wild (live)
The Storm
The Spider And The Fly
Honest I Do
Jump On Top Of Me
Let It Bleed
Dead Flowers
Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
All Down The Line
Black Limousine

I did find that version of LSTNT but I LOST IT! I also had Criss Cross Man and lost that one as well - which is OK - it had a spot in it that was some distorted glomp that ruined the song. Aside from Honest I Do on that soundtrack and having heard LSTNT I've never heard anything else that was the recorded rehearsal material recorded for Stripped.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 26, 2008 21:31

My "live disc" mix adds a couple of songs from other sources:

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Rocks Off (from a VL tour boot)
3. All Down The Line
4. Live With Me
5. Black Limousine
6. Angie
7. Dead Flowers
8. Sweet Virginia
9. Shine a Light
10. Like a Rolling Stone
11. Respectable (the No Security version)
12. Gimme Shelter
13. Rip This Joint

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 30, 2008 23:59

All Down the Line and Black Limousine are wonderful here, real highlights. On original Stripped Companion every song is a fantastic, though - even that weird one titled "Gimme Schelter" (GS German edition?). The only one thing I dislike are Mick's vocals in LSTNT, the girl was so ugly or what? He sings like he was gonna throw out all his meals! ;-)

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: October 31, 2008 06:34

I lost my copy of Stripped Companion. Anyone know where I might be able to get another copy?

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: October 31, 2008 14:15

>>bassplayer617 wrote: and the unreleased "I'm Gonna Drive""

I'm Gonna Drive is offical track not unreleased track

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-31 14:17 by Harry.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 31, 2008 15:35

stonescrowes, email me and I'll make ya a copy.

sbking@wildblue.net

I really like the live version of "Gimme" on there. Lots of good stuff.

Date: October 31, 2008 15:49

I've only ever heard that LSTNT performance. I never did see the show. What all is on Companion anyway?

Date: October 31, 2008 15:52

Ah...this is it? Got this from [www.geetarz.org]

1. Honest I Do
2. Let's Spend the Night Together
3. No Expectations
4. Beast of Burden
5. Memory Motel
6. Let it Bleed
7. Tumblig Dice
8. Gimme Shelter
9. Live With Me
10. Black Limousine
11. All Down the Line
12. Dead Flowers
13. Shine a Light
14. Sweet Virginia
15. Rip This Joint
16. The Storm
17. So Young
18. Jump On Top of Me
19. I'm Gonna Drive

That's not much different than the version I came up with with exception to No Expectations, Memory Motel, Beast Of Burden, Rip This Joint and LTSNT. Let It Bleed? Is that the same on that's on the album? As with the rest of them - the LP tracks that is?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 31, 2008 16:22

There last great product surely?

Date: October 31, 2008 16:24

I guess I always thought this boot had all Stripped sessions material that didn't make Stripped.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 31, 2008 16:32

wish we had a perf of rip this joint that wasn't just a pastiche of perfs from different shows - kinda hard to listen to that one....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 31, 2008 17:11

Stripped and Stripped companion are collections of wonderful recordings, they really rock!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 31, 2008 17:55

Easily my favorite live versions of "Gimme Shelter" and "Live With Me"!

Posted by: EnglishStoneFan ()
Date: November 2, 2008 04:04

Are all the songs on these albums 'untouched' or have overdubs, etc been done to them?

Date: November 2, 2008 17:48

Don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the studio rehearsal recordings have some overdubs but the live tracks do indeed seem to be audio verite.

I still think the No Security is the better live version of Gimme Shelter than the Stripped B-side track.

Date: November 2, 2008 19:41

There are some Stripped based shows and other things on youtube. Dead Flowers, other songs - were those from whatever it was that was broadcast or are they from something else? I never did see whatever it was. Did it ever come out or get shown in the US? If it did it never came on in New Orleans that I am aware of.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 2, 2008 20:00

both collections are excellent

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 2, 2008 21:20

skipstone
There are some Stripped based shows and other things on youtube. Dead Flowers, other songs - were those from whatever it was that was broadcast or are they from something else? I never did see whatever it was. Did it ever come out or get shown in the US? If it did it never came on in New Orleans that I am aware of.

there was an hourlong broadcast in the us to promote stripped. it featured a handful of performances that were not among those culled for the album itself, dead flowers and the pastiche of rip this joint among them...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 2, 2008 21:43

I love Stripped Companion. Of course I forgot mine at a hotel in Paris, 2001. Some cleaning lady is probably rocking out to it right now.

Honest I Do - Their best version.
Let's Spend the Night Together - Good version, but the studio cut is better.
No Expectations - Nice one. As good as the studio cut, but not as good as the R 'n R Circus version.
Beast of Burden - Good version. Prefer the '78 and '81/'82 versions though ('Cept for Mick's vocals - When he screams the BOB lyrics, it ain't good).
Memory Motel - As good as the studio cut.
Let it Bleed - Good one. Better than the studio one (LIB was always best from 1994 onwards).
Tumbling Dice - Always been my fave version.
Gimme Shelter - Awesome. One of the best renditions.
Live With Me - Killer. Better than most other versions I've heard.
Black Limousine - Best version.
All Down the Line - Best version.
Dead Flowers - Great version.
Shine a Light - Very good.
Sweet Virginia One of their best.
Rip This Joint - Best version.
The Storm - Great song. Shame it didn't end up on VL. Their best blues song along with BOMH.
So Young - Good b-side.
Jump On Top of Me - Same.
I'm Gonna Drive - Same, but I prefer the two others.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 2, 2008 21:54

I've always liked the studio LP version of Let It Bleed over anything else. The rhythm of that is incredible yet so simple. It's one of their heavier tunes in that sense, in the same way that I Am The Walrus for The Beatles is incredibly heavy.

I still prefer the Ya-Ya's Live With Me - that one just smokes.

I like how Keith changed up some things on Sweet Virginia but I still think the rhythm of the LP version is a bit better.

The rest of the tunes though - absolutely - incredible peformances of them, and almost all of them (sans Wild Horses and I'm Free - I'm talking about Stripped and the boot even though I haven't heard the whatever wasn't a non-B-side, Stripped or soundtrack released song) are better than the original versions.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 3, 2008 00:12

I adore this era/period for what Keith brings into it as much as Mick.
Good thread!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 3, 2008 01:43

when I first started getting into the stones I only liked their old stuff ( 81 and earlier) and didn't have any interest of seeing them live at the time. Then when I heard stripped for the first time It made me realize they would still be worth seeing / listening to in concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-03 01:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 3, 2008 03:16

I was so psyched when Stripped came out! I saw the Stones on the opening night in DC and thought it was a great show, and they unleashed so many songs that I was surprised by. Monkey Man, Hotstuff, Memory Motel...it really blew me away. And then of course there was the obligatory live album, but this one was different! With the advent of MTV Unplugged it seemed that everyone was juming on the bandwagon and the Stones seemed like naturals for it, and when Stripped came out I was shocked how great it was/is. I had never heard the Companion boot (I got it two years ago) so I wasn't in the know about all the unreleased stuff. But I did collect the CD singles from Stripped and was truely excited by how good songs like Gimmie Shelter and Black Limosine sounded. Gimmie Shelter is one of my favorite versions, yes, it is polished, but really packs a whallop of a punch, and Lisa is stunning on it. Stripped has aged well and I still go back to it frequently. Great release, the best live disc of their later period. Love it!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: November 3, 2008 15:54

I love Stripped but have never heard Stripped Companion. How can I buy a copy?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 3, 2008 16:09

Truly, email me, it's a boot - or ya can go over to Hot Stuff and download it. Urban Steel has it.

sbking@wildblue.net

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: November 3, 2008 18:12

Elmo Lewis
Truly, email me, it's a boot - or ya can go over to Hot Stuff and download it. Urban Steel has it.

[email protected]

I just emailed you! Thanks.

Posted by: Ludwig8745 ()
Date: November 3, 2008 21:39

stonesncrowes
I lost my copy of Stripped Companion. Anyone know where I might be able to get another copy?

[www.iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home