Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The text of Gimme Shelter
Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: July 28, 2008 15:34

But connection's a political song, right?

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: July 28, 2008 16:16

This is an interesting discussion. I always thought the song was written by Mick and Keith and is about the war (and I still do)

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 28, 2008 16:56

Like with sssoul pointed out, I think Gimmie Shelter's message is more diffuse and covers different areas. It's more about what was "in the air" then, as opposed to one certain topic. And this is one aspect that makes it such a great song.

It may be about violence on one level and about love on another. And then there's a third level about how people can decide which side they choose - "kissing" or "shooting" through life.

Concerning the "violent level", no doubt, the Vietnam war is in here. But so are the riots of '68 or other sources of violence. Just look at the movies from the late sixties (The Wild Bunch, Bonnie and Clyde) and you'll see that violence was everywhere at the time, not least in certain people's minds. It just hung in the air like those Keith notes which form the song's intro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-28 17:13 by Greenblues.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: July 28, 2008 17:08

Greenblues
Like with sssoul pointed out, I think Gimmie Shelter's message is more diffuse and covers different areas. It's more about what was "in the air" then, as opposed to one certain topic. And this is one aspect that makes it such a great song.

It may be about violence on one level and about love on another. And then there's a third level about how people can decide which side they choose - "kissing" or "shooting" through life.

Concerting the "violent level", no doubt, the Vietnam war is in here. But so are the riots of '68 or other sources of violence. Just look at the movies from the late sixties (The Wild Bunch, Bonnie and Clyde) and you'll see that violence was everywhere at the time, not least in certain people's minds. It just hung in the air like those Keith notes which form the song's intro.

Yes, I think this song is a double entendre, just like many of their other songs are. I think it's quite clever, the way they write. I just think people are reading too much into it with this Keith/anita thing.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home