Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Been listening to Handsome Girls....
Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 23, 2008 01:55

..have the guitars ever been better?

if so....where and when?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-23 01:58 by martingo.

Re: Been listening to Handsome Girls....
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:05

Yeah, this is my all-time fave Stones bootleg. It has been frequently discussed here.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:59

I don't know about that, martingo. I agree the guitars were excellent and that the sound of the guitars (at least on that boot) is maybe the best ever.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2008 04:40

I really like this.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:04

Overall its one of the best,especially quality wise. Of course I'm partial to the Ft Worth cuts as I was fortunate enough to be at this show. That being said I still am of the opinion that the 78 version of Let It Rock doesnt come close to the 71 Leeds version.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:17

Scottkeef, you don't get it at all, do you? The Stones got out of their guitar-hero era and moved into something much closer to their original sound, updated for modern times.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:19

scottkeef
I still am of the opinion that the 78 version of Let It Rock doesnt come close to the 71 Leeds version.

Too right Scottkeef! That version alone earned Keith a pass into rock and roll heaven! As to the guitars having ever been better, I suppose that is a matter of opinion. Certainly the shear rawness and ferocity of their performances were a hallmark on this tour (Perhaps in response to punk?) but to me Keith and Ronnie really hit their stride during the '81-82 tour.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:27

bassplayer617,I aint trying to get anything(and aint getting anything by the way,just a joke!) I LOVE the 78 tour. I just felt the leeds 71 version of Let It Rock set the bar for this song as for as the Stones go. As a matter of fact its one of the few songs on the Leeds concert that I thought did revert back to the sound that made em. Keith cranks out the Berry licks like he's possessed! But I'm not dissing the 78 Tour in the least. Sorry if thats what it sounded like!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-23 06:28 by scottkeef.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:41

Handsome Girls : the ultimate rock and roll show. No BS.Pure and raw rock and roll. The best shit ever!!
Mops

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 23, 2008 08:30

I love every version of Let It Rock from '78.
I think the Wood/Richards lineup suits the song better
than Taylor/Richards (although there's only the Leeds version to compare it to).
Opening with that tune for the '78 tour was pure genius...
although 99.99% of the audience had no clue what it was.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 23, 2008 12:17

tomk
Opening with that tune for the '78 tour was pure genius...
although 99.99% of the audience had no clue what it was.

Absolutely agree. It was a very strong statement by the band. I mean, the Rolling Stones, the GRRBITW, and all that sh..., a great choice of super hits to start the show with, and what do they come out with: a chuck intro and let it rock!

C

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 23, 2008 16:05

Great live but not the best ever. Some songs were played too fast, mostly in the final of Fort Worth gig

EDIT
Sorry, I made a mistake : it is not in the final, but it is Some Girls songs which played too fast, Shattered is a complete disaster, ruined by the excessive speed.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-23 16:35 by olorin.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 23, 2008 16:12

Handsome Girls is really excellent. Raw guitars, cool posing and I like that the songs are played fast.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 23, 2008 16:12

Their last genuinely 100% awesome tour...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 23, 2008 16:21

I've always thought of this performance as one where Mick sounds a little off/little bit wasted. but the guitars are sublime, particularly on "ADTL" and the (then-new) Some Girls tunes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home