Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT-The Dark Knight
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: July 21, 2008 08:14

Good god, this movie was amazing! Heath Ledger took this movie by storm. These new "redoing" of Batman is 2094829348230948 times better than Tim Burtons. Those were just too campy and comic booky. Rumored for the 3rd movie is Johnny Depp as The Riddler, should be interesting!

Re: OT-The Dark Knight
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 21, 2008 08:20

Heath was amazing, we really lost a talent.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 21, 2008 09:05

CrazyDadda
These new "redoing" of Batman is 2094829348230948 times better than Tim Burtons. Those were just too campy and comic booky.

This exactly is why I've reserved my talking about TDK at all. Ever since it's been released (and before it was released), people everywhere have taken license to bash the first 2 Batman movies which were directed by Tim Burton. Wow, to call Burton's vision of his Batman films..."camp" and "too comic booky" goes to show how far we've come in violence in today's movies. Not only that, people are not realizing that what Burton did was HIS perception of the Batman story. Nevertheless, the dark, gritty world he created lands on numb minds today in 2008 where viewers need louder, bloodier, bigger movies to grab their attention or even take seriously.

"Batman Returns" is incredibly dark....in fact it was criticized much because it was TOO heavy. To me, it still is very effective because Burton emphasizes the tragedy and pain for Oswald (The Penguin) and in connection with Bruce Wayne's past. In fact, the Penguin's death at the end of the movie is one of Burton's great moments in film. Incredibly touching and sad.

I have no respect or patience for the last 2 Batman films after Burton's: "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin" These were directed by Joe Schumacher and take the Batman story the complete opposite of where Burton planted it. Instead of dark and subtle, it was full of color, huge imagery and childish dialogue. But I've been seeing everywhere people calling Nicholson's Joker to be crap and competely erasing their memory of this great movie. How people are praising Heath's Joker today was how people felt about Jack, 19 years ago. Jack was darker than Ceasar Romero's and now Heath's is darker than Jack's. All of which represents how violent each villian had to be to satisfy the audience from their time period.

I loved The Dark Knight and now I love Heath's Joker along with Jack's. But it seems people today, can only love ONE thing at a time...and can never allow for two things to be good. Either people really love one thing and then really hate another. People really love Heath's Joker and now really hate Jack's. Not me, I love them both. This is not an attack on you, CrazzyDadda but more like me venting. I just wish more people could see it my way.....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-21 09:26 by Justin.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 21, 2008 09:08

dark knight > peewees big adventure > batman returns

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 21, 2008 09:16

Justin's made some great points. Back when they came out, both Burton films were highly acclaimed - not to mention smash hits. And they were good films too.

The Dark Knight is very very good and well worth the outing. For a blockbuster, it's dark as pitch and the late, great Heath Ledger's performance does really live up to the hype.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-21 09:22 by Nikolai.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: July 21, 2008 09:35

I saw both Burtons movies when they came out, I just could not get into them and i'm a hardcore Batman comic freak. The penguins with the rockets straped to their backs in Batman Returns was imo a little bit over the top. I understand your point of view tho and I personally like Jack's take, I still have his poster, but I have been waiting for years for the ultimate Batman movie and now it is here.......

Date: July 21, 2008 12:51

Sounds great - I will be seeing this tonight here in London.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 21, 2008 13:22

going to the red carpet premiere, MOWAT?

have a great time!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 21, 2008 13:26

I plan on going, but I'll wait for the hysteria to die down.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 21, 2008 13:27

Hey you guys, BATMAN is not a real dude, he was made up by someone...... With that said I like the Bat Suit with the nipples in it.......

Date: July 21, 2008 13:27

Adrian-L
going to the red carpet premiere, MOWAT?

have a great time!

Yep, apparently it will be a black carpet though........also, the Batmobile will be in Leicester Square.

Date: July 21, 2008 13:39

Enjoy the evening-
i look forward to hearing your review, tomorrow.

Date: July 21, 2008 13:50

Yep, apparently it will be a black carpet though........also, the Batmobile will be in Leicester Square.- QUOTE FROM ABOVE

Yo, don't get jealous but I saw the REAL BATMOBILE (Adam West version) at a car show in Los Angeles in the 1960's.... I was surprised at how scratched up and thrashed it was.... Got home and had to sneak into my pop's liquor cabinet and down a few strong screwdrivers to get over the shock and depression..... no one likes to have their "happy bubbles" popped and a young kid can only take so much..... After that unpleasant episode I switched over to "THE GREEN HORNET and KATO" - Screw BATMAN and his effed up Batmobile !!! GREEN HORNET RULES !!!

Date: July 21, 2008 13:57

Holy Car Crash, Helter! - you can't expect it to be in perfect condition after all those scrapes the Dynamic Duo got themselves into......

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 21, 2008 14:50

I saw about 5 minutes preview of the black knight before the showing of SAL at the imax cinema, and have to say it looked really good and mentioned it to friends & family that i would have to go and see it when it is released.

Date: July 21, 2008 15:05

To get serious for a second Ledger looks like he does a great job in the previews, maybe they got it 100% right this time. Burton's were good but I'm not crazy about his style in general, Joe S. is ALWAYS camp to a certain degree so this new one might have hit the bulls eye - the darker the better IMHO.... will have to wait for the DVD but it's sounding good, pretty rare these days......

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 21, 2008 15:09

Rory's First Kiss .....was the working title for the new Batman flick...
...so that it would NOT attract too much attention during production in Chicago.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 21, 2008 16:35

Edith Grove
I plan on going, but I'll wait for the hysteria to die down.

Same here. It's not going anywhere, is it? It'll be in the theatres all summer. Wait till the end of August, go on a weekday morning, and you can probably have a private screening.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 22, 2008 04:30

Saw the dark knight last night and was really impressed, loved it. At the risk of sounding biased I think Heath owned that movie, great performence. A now being built West Australian performence centre is to be named after him. So proud he comes from my town. RIP Heath you were great.

Date: July 22, 2008 11:11

So, I was in Leicester Square last night for the European Premiere....

There was a throaty roar from a mighty engine......

The Director/Producer, Christopher Nolan (with random movie goer posing for a picture)

Michael Caine being interviewed with Batmobile in foreground.....

Christopher Nolan and cast introduce the film......

The opening sequence sets the pace of the movie and immediately you are transported to crime ridden Gotham City. At 152 minutes (yes, a shade over two and a half hours!) it is a long film which some would argue is a half hour too long. They were having so much fun making it and couldn't decide how to end it perhaps. It is a violent film, although not graphic as that is very much left to your imagination, it is after all rated '12A' in the UK which means children can see the film if accompanied by an adult. The special effects are sensational however and makes the film especially worth seeing in a cinema with a big screen and big sound. Now, Heath Ledger - everything that has been said about his performance is absolutely true, an amazingly maniacal, villainous and sometimes humorous portrayal of The Joker. Wonderful stuff! Worthy of an Oscar?.......Michael Caine puts it thusly "I'm a member of the Academy and he gets my vote".

Go and see the movie and decide for yourself - in the cinema, rather than on a small screen though.

Date: July 22, 2008 16:06

thanks MOWAT for the great photos and your thoughts on the film.

I shall buy a bag of Maltesers and go see it, at the weekend.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 22, 2008 17:31

did you hear the dark knight himself was arrested for slapping his mother and sister around in the hotel room last night in london for the preimer of dark night .i am not kidding just heard it on the radio news .

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: July 22, 2008 20:11

Great flick...saw this last night....10 out of 10 IMO....don't miss this one......great cast

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 22, 2008 20:12

I thought it was all hype.
It really is that good.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: July 22, 2008 20:38

well, as far as Batman movies go....YES

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 22, 2008 20:48

Justin
..big message..
I haven't seen the Dark Knight movie yet, but I agree on Batman Returns. There's a real comic-ish feel over the movie, but it's not 'happy' comic, it's grim and dark. Just seeing someone walk the streets of Gotham City sends shivers up your spine.

I think that also had to do with Danny DeVito's performance as the Penguin: how fantastic.. best role he ever played.

Batman Forever had all the budget it wanted and the best actors imagineable, great special effects, whatever, but the storyline sucked big time and Schumacher could not carry on Burton's unique ambience.

Batman & Robin was incredibly bad.. I think Clooney was a good Batman, but that's it. The Freeze-character and the way Schwarzenegger played him were terrible.. the way Robin and Batgirl were put in to the story were hilarious too.

I'm really curious about the Dark Knight.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 22, 2008 22:38

Im a fan of the old Adam West movie and the Tim Burton Batman. I have to say I did not like the firt one of this new series. It took itself too seriously and the characters had no depth or personality. It was like "CSI Batman"... so this time around I was not excited to see Dark Knight I just went becasue it was something to do... Well I was in for a pleasant suprise! This was an excellent summer blocksbuster action movie. I was drawn in right at the very first scene up thru the end. Chritian Bale brought much more life and personality to his role and so did eveyone else. The villians were much better and more interesting this this time , The Joker and Two Face (Although, was he really a villian? Kind of ...) Some really suspensful scenes and for the most part done in a way that was not predictable. I do have a few small complaints about it but I give it a thumbs up. Do you self a favor and go to a movie theatre where this is playing, get a giant soda and big old bag of popcorn and see it!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-24 01:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 23, 2008 18:09

I've gotta get one of those.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: July 23, 2008 19:27

saw it yesterday .
It was an amzing movie , how could Heath Ledger die?
he made an amzing role , and it was fking better than any of the other batman movies , this was a hit.

Date: July 28, 2008 11:03

a pretty intense 2.5 hours.

Some very good acting from the cast, Eckhart and Ledger, especially.

Having seen the film, and Ledger's performance, it's all to easy to see how sleep depravation and perscription medicines, played a part in the performance he gives, and his sad,untimely death.
It's a chilling, foreboding piece of method acting, worthy of all the accolades, that i'm sure it will receive.
It's not a perfect movie, nowhere near it, but it's to be recommended, as a superhero, action movie....superior to most of its competitors in the genre.
Negatives?
maybe 20 -30 minutes too long.
Glamourisation of knives and knife violence.
... copycat knife crime, will sadly, be a by-product of this movie.
Social responsibility towards it's young, impressionable audience, should be taken more seriously by the filmmakers, directors and sponsors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-28 11:04 by Adrian-L.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home