Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

casual fans (long post)
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 19, 2008 05:27

The Rolling Stones are still my all time favorite band, but I've come to realize that I would probably be considered more of a casual fan than a hardcore fan by most people on this board. There are a few reasons for this...

1. I do not worship the Stones. They are human beings and I do not idolize them. Infact I think very poorly of their private lives, except for Charlie and Bill as they have demonstrated integrity through the years. Charlie is the man. The guy has every ounce of talent in tact, looks old and rocks my face off. On top of that he is STILL happily married and has an amazing jazz band on the side.

I'm not a fan of Jagger as a person but I think he's the greatest frontman in rock n roll history! Androgynous, effeminate, a-moral, relativist, unfaithful... You can call it being a 'bad boy of rocknroll' if you like. On stage he's fantastic and still puts on an amazing show.

Ronnie Wood is the single most underrated guitarist of all time, and without him the Stones would have faded into has-been status. Because of Ronnie we have Some Girls, etc... I wonder what the Stones would have been like without the Ron Wood era!

Keith Richards is still the man for the sole reason that he continues to play guitar. My friends who are musicians will readily admit that they are impressed with Keith, not for his magnificent ability, but for the fact that he has intense horrendous arthritis and continues to play. Sure he might not be up to par with his past performances (compare Undercover from the Shine A Light bonus footage to ANY previous performance you've ever seen), but he still rocks. His personal life... Not much to lookup to there.

Bryan Jones was a brilliant musician but had little moral fiber to be spoken of. He treated women poorly, was an alcholic and drug addict beyond repair. If you saw him on the street pandering for acid you'd probably laugh at him... He's in a rock band and gets to be creative and everyone thinks the world of him. Amazing thing really..

Bill Wyman got out when he felt like it, not when he thought the Stones were at their peak. No doubt he endured alot of bullsh1t to get to that point too. I can't even begin to imagine what the Dirty Work sessions were like in person. He wanted to spend time with his family, look back and indulge in his collection of memorabilia and book-writing, etc... I admire that. Wish he hadn't quit, but seeing all the crap behind the scenes for that long, I can see why.

Their private lives do not affect my enjoyment of the music, but it does affect how I view the band in general. I also find it mind-numbing that anyone can sit back and say "Keith looks better than ever!" when in reality he looks like shit! I love the guy but I'm not gonna kiss his ass on any forum. Keith looks horrible. They're old. They can't look 'good', they can be presentable and put on a good show. Jagger as a sex idol is a funny concept to me. He could be your grandfather! And he's gyrating infront of you like he's 18. Keith is the man and he dresses appropriately for who he is and what he wants to do, but he is not 'hot' nor does he look good. He looks exactly like you'd expect a former heroin junkie to look. Ronnie is great, as long as he's not sh1tfaced off booze. CHARLIE. IS. THE. MAN. Always was, always will be.

2. I own every recording the Rolling Stones have ever put out, but I don't listen to them every day of my life. I think most people on this board listen to the Stones every day, at the very least. I'd say I listen to them atleast once or twice a week, or they popup randomly on my ipod. I have quite a good collection of bootlegs and have recorded a few myself (2002 - 2006, atleast 5 recordings that I can remember) but I don't feel the need to be constantly collecting.

I am certain that there are alot of studio outtakes and live recordings I would love to have (this one comes to mind:

but I don't trade very often. I look for new torrents on dimeadozen about once a month, and even then I'm pretty picky about what I add to my collection.

Most collectors I know are constantly trading, acquiring more and more boots, getting all shows from all tours, etc... Multiple releases, silver discs... I just don't see the point. Investing all that time and money and effort for ONE band?

3. I like alot of bands. I mean ALOT of bands. The Rolling Stones are still the absolute tops of my personal tastes (even my lastfm profile reflects that) but I love alot of other bands. I could write for days about all of the amazing NEW (I repeat NEW NEW NEW NEW) bands that are just now releasing albums I find mind shatteringly awesome.

- Black Mountain (sounds like Pink Floyd meets Black Sabbath)
- Arcade Fire (one of the best bands to come out in my lifetime)
- The Black Angels (could be the next Doors)
- Secret Machines (Now Here Is Nowhere is the first album I bought for my girlfriend)
- Minus the Bear (danceable rocknroll with heavy heavy guitars!)
- Hey Rosetta! (catchy melodic experimental rock)
- Giraffes? Giraffes! (not for effect, thats what they're called. their first album is alright, but their second album 'More Skin With Milk Mouth' or something like that is $*#@'ing amazing math rock!!!)
- Radiohead (the epitome of ambient, atmospheric indie rock)
- Explosions In The Sky (some of the most beautiful music you will ever hear in your life. 'All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone' is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard, and I own it on vinyl.)

None of these bands has replaced the Rolling Stones for me, but they come close enough to get played frequently, whereas I don't play Exile every day, but rather a few times a year.

I'm curious if there are any other fans out there who feel like this. I used to consider myself a hardcore fan, and I'm known for it among friends, but the more I encounter hardcore fans I find that I am really more casual. The Rolling Stones are STILL and probably always WILL BE my ALL TIME FAVORITE BAND, but I'm not neurotic about it, nor do I listen to them every day of my life.

D.

Re: casual fans (long post)
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 19, 2008 13:06

Agree ,the same with me concerning intensity and maybe fanatism.

But in the end it´s passion (not to be mixed with obsession) for the greatest...

Some bands/artists i like sad smileybeside the Stones)...

led zeppelin
the who
the clash
yes,amy winehouse
could go on and on,...

so to all ,who don´t understand : remember for example pre -show tapes of
stones concerts....mainly brilliant stuff...

and i like this forum,yes i do !

sff

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2008 13:48

Ya can only start to imagine how I felt when I
learnt the village black-smith drove nails inta horses hooves.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 19, 2008 14:04

flacnvinyl
I am certain that there are alot of studio outtakes and live recordings I would love to have (this one comes to mind:

D.

I think it's been noted often..that this is a fake.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 19, 2008 14:14

Rockman
Ya can only start to imagine how I felt when I
learnt the village black-smith drove nails inta horses hooves.....

What are you smokin' Rockman?

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: July 19, 2008 14:16

The back wheels of my chariot when I leave the lights.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 19, 2008 14:20

i love them more then any other band and i had my fanatic years (as a teenager).
i take it easier nowadays. fanatism is not something i like too much anyway....

Date: July 19, 2008 14:22

Rockman
The back wheels of my chariot when I leave the lights.......

ROTFLMFAO!!!! You make me laugh. A lot.

NickB

Date: July 19, 2008 14:26

Don't dislocate a rib NickBaby...'cause I ain't a real good doc....YEAH!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: July 19, 2008 14:31

& you're a f**king long way away. It'd prolly heal by the time you get here.

ps are you some kind of chariot riding flying medic?

NickB

Date: July 19, 2008 14:34

well I did help a girl once who was horny...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 19, 2008 15:24

Get off your horse and drink yer milk.

NickB

Date: July 19, 2008 15:28

I'm stayin' here in the saddle .... have you seen how far down it is....????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 19, 2008 15:44

Drake, it's all good.

It's all a continuum -- compared to most people you know, you're a really big fan, but when you get to this forum you see you're not totally at the fanatic end of the continuum...nothing wrong or disloyal about that..we have to all just enjoy what we enjoy when we can, right?

Date: July 19, 2008 15:57

Rockman
I'm stayin' here in the saddle .... have you seen how far down it is....????

Christ man it's only a Shetland pony.

NickB

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 19, 2008 16:15

Like anything if you do it too much it kinda gets boring. The more I listen to them the longer I go between breaks of listening to other music. The Stones will always be the benchmark for me though.

Date: July 19, 2008 16:15

Is that Abbey Road??????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 19, 2008 16:25

I call myself a fanatic because I hardly have spent a day since 1976 without having a thought about something related to the Rolling Stones. Mostly what interests me is the music and I can handle the critism of their music if it founded and intelligent. The rolling stones life style and their personal problems is entertaining but I take it with a grain of salt. Music comes first.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: July 19, 2008 16:30

Don't know but it's your horse.

NickB

Date: July 19, 2008 16:33

Still TOO high

ROCKMAN

Date: July 19, 2008 16:41

You must be tiny. So I bought you a tiny horse. It's titchy. Just for you.

That's his friend to the left. Don't mess with him coz he'll kick ya. OUCH.

To stay on topic I don't listen to the Stones everyday but at least once a week.

NickB

Date: July 19, 2008 16:43

That's ALL smoke and mirrors....Titchy!!!... I've had that feeeeeelin'!!!! B4

ROCKMAN

Date: July 19, 2008 16:47

Used to titchy are ya?winking smiley Still ROTFLMAO. You are a comedian.

NickB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home