Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Evening Standard before Mick Taylor joined
Posted by: deepinder ()
Date: July 17, 2008 20:35

I have been told that the ES printed (or another london paper) a report that the Roller's asked Alexis Korner advice who could step in for the death/replacment for Brian Jones. The reason why I brinmg this up is that my friend was one of those named - and his mother caught wind of this - and was terribly upset her, that her son might join the Roller's - so much so that he promised not to entertain the notion.

Is this true that the Rolling Stones asked Alexis? was there a newspaper article based on this?

I have wondered if this is true for years

Re: Evening Standard before Mick Taylor joined
Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 17, 2008 20:59

Who is your friend?

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 17, 2008 21:04

deepinder
I have wondered if this is true for years
Afraid your friend is pulling your leg?

Date: July 17, 2008 21:29

Better not say who may friend is - just in case its a tall story.

He's not "boring and provincial" like clapton end quote

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 17, 2008 21:30

deepinder
Better not say who may friend is - just in case its a tall story.

He's not "boring and provincial" like clapton end quote

so...he's ted nugent!?!? winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 17, 2008 21:42

Brian's replacement had been decided upon before he left the band and died.

The Evening Standard did run various articles on the stones at that time though, the most obvious being the piece which featured a photo of the stones with Mick Taylor during rehearsals for the Hyde Park concert.

Date: July 18, 2008 06:42

His Majesty
Brian's replacement had been decided upon before he left the band and died.

The Evening Standard did run various articles on the stones at that time though, the most obvious being the piece which featured a photo of the stones with Mick Taylor during rehearsals for the Hyde Park concert.

Any truth to Alexis speculating who would be a replacent for Brian in the London paper(s)

I would like to see a set of 1969 clippings

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 18, 2008 07:14

I don't see how a paper would print something about them asking for a replacement for a dead Brian as they already had a replacement before he died!?

Date: July 18, 2008 15:03

forgive my ignorance, but was Brians replacement decision in the public domain?

Perhaps the Alexis Korner speculation was before Brian died, and before Mick Taylor was invited/decided upon. I am not a Roller's scholar. I am trying to determine if Alexis Korner was quoted in the manner I have been told

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 18, 2008 15:27

Just to make a few things clear:

Brian was sacked about a month before he died, and in the meantime Mick Taylor joined the band.

I don't know much about any media speculation, but there was definitely press coverage about Brian leaving (like the Brian quote "We no longer see eye to eye with the others over the discs we are cutting" ). So there was surely speculation about who might join the Stones, but I don't think the Stones themselves ever let out any official news that they were auditioning guitar players or anything.

It was not like 1975 - as far as I know they never had any other guitar players jamming Stones tunes. It seems like once Mick Taylor came into the rehearsal place, things were basically settled.

But of course the Stones themselves must have thought about different guitar players. Jagger said something like "John Mayall always had great guitar players, so I called him". That way they got Mick Taylor. But to me it's very probable that they also talked to Alexis Corner, who used to be sort of a pioneer and connection to a lot of blues and rock musicians in England.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-18 15:28 by LieB.

Date: July 18, 2008 16:26

Thanks - I accept that it was only ever a rumour that my friend was mentioned by Alexis Korner. I'm just keen to locate the words as quoted by AK in the London Paper ( I hesitate to say it was the Evening Standard definately-as they had a competitor in those days) So this could have been printed from early june onward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home