Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Tattoo You
Posted by: wesley ()
Date: July 13, 2008 21:49

It starts so strongly and ends up so beautifully and includes so dramatical songs in between.
SMU, strong and one of best riffs ever. I like the live version of the current line-up and maybe the guitars are a bit too thin in the studio version?
Hang Fire, okey, but is overshadowed by the other songs
Slave, great guitarwork and Mick is in fire, too.
Little T&A, nice, but not more than that - funny lyrics, though. I think Keith was at his best vocally in the end of 1980`s
Black L one of the best examples of the two guitars interplay, I`ve always loved this, Mick is great too
Neighbours, last punkish Stones (ONNYA, maybe?), worked fine on b-stage 2003
WBY, is there any other rock band which is capable to this dramatic theater-like song?
Tops, see the sentence above, wow!
Heaven, was this lefover from GHS? Can´t remember.. It´s okey anyway
No Use Crying, the only filler, or is it in a wrong company
WOF, CLASSIC great melody. One of the first songs that got me to the Stones fandom

Leftovers from another albums but TY turned out the be one of greatist rock albums ever.
Enjoy, play it loud as BV has stated in this board

Re: Tattoo You
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 13, 2008 22:03

Heaven Is from the Emototional Rescue sessions... I agree its okay.

your wrong compleltey about No Use In Cryin.

Date: July 13, 2008 22:14

Thanks for replying, just my opinion. And to put No Use Crying to another context would do justice for it,, something with the melancholy of it, I don`t know..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2008 22:56

ryanpow
Heaven Is from the Emototional Rescue sessions... .

They didnt start work on 'Heaven' until the sessions in Paris in the autumn of 1980 (four months after ER was released). Likewise with "Neighbours".

Those two are the only "new" songs on the album.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 13, 2008 23:01

Last decent Stones album in my opinion - the only track i don't like is 'Neighbours'. I disagree with Wesley with regards 'Start Me Up' - i don't believe the Stones version live have ever matched the studio version by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 14, 2008 01:12

A truly magnificent album that I would place behind only Exile and Sticky Fingers in terms of listenable Stones output.

Brimful of classics, with Jagger on absolutely stunning form throughout. Worried About You and Tops are truly magnificent.

Probably Mick's best album.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 14, 2008 05:45

a release that definately gets better with time.

When it was originally released I loved side one....could only take Slave and Waiting on a Friend from side two....as I got futher along in years I grew to love every track...

I've gotta agree that this is the last "complete" masterpiece from them...deserves to be held in the same regard as the big-4 plus Some Girls.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 14, 2008 06:33

Way beyond Some Girls.

I like the TY version of Start Me Up but they didn't play it with owning it until the 89-90 tour. The version on Flashpoint is incendiary. Woody's solo helps the song out tremendously. It's a little bit faster, which I think is good - they haven't done it as good since then.

The live version on Still Life is good - just not as good as Flashpoint.

Great great great album. Not a bad track on it. It is supreme - better than Exile even.

If you take the 3 different guitar players in the Stones and come up with one album (I know MT is on 2 tracks on TY but for the sake of it's during Woody's era) for each era of guitar players I think it's safe to say Aftermath, Sticky Fingers and Tattoo You sum it up (for me,although I do like most of them). Brian didn't so shit on Beggars or Bleed. And Aftermath was their previous good album until Beggars. MT did great on Fingers as well as Soup and of course on Exile. And Ronnie is all over Some Girls and Tattoo You.

Date: July 14, 2008 10:07

skipstone
Way beyond Some Girls.

I like the TY version of Start Me Up but they didn't play it with owning it until the 89-90 tour. The version on Flashpoint is incendiary. Woody's solo helps the song out tremendously. It's a little bit faster, which I think is good - they haven't done it as good since then.

The first Stones gig for me was 1990 during that tour. Maybe this is sort of nostalgia, but I do share your opinion about the way SMU should be played: just a little bit faster and with more power on guitar mixes than in the studio version. I´ve understood they first rehearsed it with even slower tempo, or even acoustic? Can anyone enlighten me with this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 10:09 by wesley.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 14, 2008 10:21

SMU suffers when played too fast. Loses the feel and edgy timing.
The album is wonderful and... given its origins...testament to the unique studio craft of this band.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:32

wesley
No Use Crying, the only filler, or is it in a wrong company
Actually I think it's a great song.

I call the Tops, Heaven, No Use Crying sequence "The Trilogy of Pain", one of the Stones' best b-sides ever.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:34

Totally agree on almost everything.

But in my opinion, No Use in Crying is a highlight. Beautiful song and a fine contribution by Woody btw... One of those forgotten gems lost in time.

The good thing about the Stones records is that you can always "rediscover" lots of obscure songs that weren't singles or made it in the charts. No Use in Crying, If You Really Want to Be My Friend, Where the Boys Go, Hey Negrita... What a discography, ladies & gentlemen!!!

So, not a bad track in that particular album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 11:34 by milio77.

Date: July 14, 2008 11:36

Looks like I´m in a minority in this NO USE C-thing, maybe I chose a wrong impression. Or as stated by Dunhill, three "painful" songs.. Just one too many?

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:39

wesley
Looks like I´m in a minority in this NO USE C-thing, maybe I chose a wrong impression. Or as stated by Dunhill, three "painful" songs.. Just one too many?
Actually you could also count in WAY, but I guess it's a less painful one.
Single songs apart, TY is a hell of a great record, it's crazy if you thing these guys came up with on eof their greatests albums ever by using only leftover songs.

Slave is my favourite one, best song to have sex to IMHO.

Date: July 14, 2008 11:44

Slave is my favourite one, best song to have sex to IMHO.[/quote]

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley< good one!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 14, 2008 14:30

One thing that's great about Heaven, is those tingly noises that's in the background all the time. Diamond tiaras.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 14, 2008 14:59

Aah, my first and dearest Stones album (and I think it still is the singular album I have listened most in my life). I think it still sounds so great. It is such a 'mature' album. I think that it has the biggest Jagger presence since AFTERMATH. Especially in the b-side (this needs to be talked in trems of vinyls) Jagger goes through his strongest repertuare of voices ever. He sounds really inspired, and so effortless. Together with the great production, it is Jagger's voice that gives a coherence to the album.

It is strange that Jagger lost it so quickly: UNDERCOVER, SHE'S THE BOSS...horrible drive and try... so 80's..

- Doxa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2008 15:05

skipstone you stated that mick taylor is on two tracks on tattoo you .i heard that those tracks were redone with ronnie wood guitar but maybe i am wrong but which two tracks are they (slave?) ?

Date: July 14, 2008 16:13

The Greek
skipstone you stated that mick taylor is on two tracks on tattoo you .i heard that those tracks were redone with ronnie wood guitar but maybe i am wrong but which two tracks are they (slave?) ?

Tops and Waiting On A Friend. They had overdubs done, but Ronnie isnt on either song. In fact, he's pretty much absent on Side 2 (No Use In Crying being the exception)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 16:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 14, 2008 17:29

Gazza
The Greek

Tops and Waiting On A Friend.

True. On Tops the solo is a trademark MT solo. On Friend you can hear a beautiful arpeggio buried in the mix throughout the song-

C

Date: July 14, 2008 17:31

Gazza this info blows my mind.what is the reason behind this ? mick and keith putting two songs on tattoo you with there ex bandmate's work ? what's up with that ?you know as soon as i get home tonight the tattoo you cd is going on the player do you think i will be able to spot mick taylor's wonderfull tone on these tracks ?

Date: July 14, 2008 17:41

They needed a new album to promote a tour and Emotional rescue was already a year old, so they went through the vaults, got some old songs and (with a few overdubs here and there) cobbled together enough for an album. Most of the songs were cut during Some Girls or Emotional rescue sessions, but a few predated that (Slave and Worried About You come from Rotterdam 1975, although some overdubs were done between 1979-81). The album was finished in spring 1981 in New York (thats also when Sonny Rollins overdubbed his sax parts on Neighbours, WOAF and Slave)

Tattoo You was released without personnel credits - presumably to disguise the fact that so much of the material was so old. Taylor recognised his playing on it and took legal action to get his royalties. I'm sure there are others on here who can fill you in on more detailed info about that.

Taylor's solo on "Tops" is quite distinctive and its quite obvious that the solo on Worried About you isnt either Keith or Ronnie (it's Wayne Perkins, who played on Black & Blue). The backing tracks of the two songs that Taylor plays on date from the Goats Head Soup sessions.

Its an act of near genius on the part of Jagger, Richards, Chris Kimsey and Bob Clearmountain that despite the haphazard way the album was assembled that it sounds just right and flows so seamlessly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 17:45 by Gazza.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 14, 2008 17:58

...and a snippet from Melody Maker regarding Mick Taylor's involvement:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 18:06 by LOGIE.

Date: July 14, 2008 18:01

Gazza you are the man !!!thanks so much for shedding light on this mystery for me !!!

Date: July 14, 2008 18:11

A write-up from Sounds magazine was in keeping with the general "bash-the-Stones" campaign; now into it's fifth year:

Date: July 14, 2008 18:19

...while Patrick Humphries of Melody Maker was even more reticent:

Date: July 14, 2008 18:30

That Mike Nicholls tries to be a tough guy. "Jagger's dreadful voice has never improved" (and the mistaken refrernce to Ronnie in "Little T&A" is idiotic). Seemingly he seem to have an issue with their reputation, status and fame, "Living in a goldwish bowl", and thereby their "inabilty to see further", etc.

Obviously mr. Nicholls could not see much further when he tried to listen and analyzise the content of TATTOO YOU.

- Doxa

Date: July 14, 2008 18:30

...and NME's Charles Shaar Murray appears too afraid to admit that he actually likes the album:

Date: July 14, 2008 18:39

Doxa
That Mike Nicholls tries to be a tough guy. "Jagger's dreadful voice has never improved" (and the mistaken refrernce to Ronnie in "Little T&A" is idiotic). Seemingly he seem to have an issue with their reputation, status and fame, "Living in a goldwish bowl", and thereby their "inabilty to see further", etc.

Obviously mr. Nicholls could not see much further when he tried to listen and analyzise the content of TATTOO YOU.

- Doxa

That was typical of the kind of garbage that we were subjected to during the so-called Punk/New Wave period when the UK music press had it in for the likes of the Stones.

IMHO Jagger's vocals are absolutely brilliant on this album.

Date: July 14, 2008 18:59

Interesting reviews - there was a very hostile atmophere towards the band those days, at least in UK. The big issue seem to be if the band was relevant or matter at all. I think they were reaching the point the critics couldn't cope with any longer. The ability to laugh at themselves - one of the biggest unique ablities of the Stones, but not of rock media at the time - seemed to go beyond, for example, the capacity of Murray. But the world responded in a different way. A new big generation of Stones fans were born (I was hooked with that self-irony charm - been there, done that wisdom of "Start Me Up" video), and during that year of 1981/82 The Stones, no doubt, were the biggest band in the world.

Just look at one particular sentence: "For those who DESPISE the Stones and everything they stand for..." Do we still find sentences like that in current reviews and articles? Hell no. No one cares to "despise" The Rolling Stones. The band DID matter, and one can read that between the lines these critical writers say in 1981. The poor guys just didn't have concepts to deal with a band like that.

(Funny though, none of these British journalists discusses the lyrics of "Hang Fire" - seemingly, the irony there went beyond their intellect.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-14 19:02 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home