Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mercy Mercy, Hyde Park 1969
Posted by: Faye Slith ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:32

Mathijs
OpenG
Tate, Yes Thats the reason I posted it as evidence of Taylor's brilliance on Rhythm guitar so early on with the stones. He proved his melodic brilliance on IM FREE his solo glistening to the HEAVENS.

Also Taylor's rhythm guitar on YA YA on Little Queenie and Carol and on Live with Me. so mnay others

play that guitar boy

You guys are kidding right? This gig is about the worst the stones aver gave, and all Taylor does is the absolute basic rythm guitar on the 1 and 3 of the beat. Brilliance on rythm guitar? This is slashing away two power chords!

Without a doubt Taylor's worst appearence ever. Following the footsteps of Clapton and Green he now has to play an E chord on the 1 and 2, and a A chord on the 3 and 4.

How humiliating do you want it to be?

Mathijs

you obviously have the video of the show with the "voice-over" during the I'm Free solo...
And you haven't heard the Love In Vain solo during this show...

sure...at his high standards it's one of his "worst" but fair dinkum - give the kid a break he'd only jammed with the band for a month or 2 beforehand ??!! What did u expect?? At least he kept his guitar in tune !
I admit it was a pretty lame performance by the band but there were excuses...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:47

Mathijs

You guys are kidding right?
Without a doubt Taylor's worst appearence ever. Following the footsteps of Clapton and Green he now has to play an E chord on the 1 and 2, and a A chord on the 3 and 4.

How humiliating do you want it to be?

Mathijs

You must be kidding, right? How 'humilating' can it be to play the guitar in the second biggest group to the biggest group ever attented to a rock concert at the time... I guess there were quite a lot guitar players already at the time quite willingly to be 'humilated' the way to reduce their playing to basic rhythm work? And over all I find the judgement quite...hmmm.. strange,, because playing basic rhythm IS a part of playing guitar (sic), and even Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton did/does that sometimes. You seem to have a typical 'egoist guitar hero attitude' to guitar playing, Mathijs. Glad that Mick Taylor didn't have that attitude at the time.winking smiley

In fact, I find Taylor's presence and playing - not just in "Oh Mercy", but over-all in the concert - both decent and humble in a right way. It was his first gig with these big stars, and personally he was taking a big step into a new circle in music business. John Mayall's high school was NOT made him ready to fill the shoes of a guy that were VERY freshly in the mind of the huge audience he was facing that day. His time to fill those shoes in the band would come later, which he brilliantly did. But the band was in a stage of transformation, and Taylor was wise enough to not hush the things.

And I personally seen much worse performances - and in fact, one awful - by Taylor, and I guess quite many here have, so the talk of 'without a doubt a worst appearance ever' is good ole 'I over-exaggarate to make my point clear' rhetorics of Mathijs, right?smoking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:59

MT's rhythm playing is simple indeed, but I must say it's very effective on songs like LWM, Carol or SFTD on YaYa's. I mean, I would be very pleased if RW would play SFTD like that and KR would play the riffs he did on YaYa's!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 18, 2008 17:13

RnT
MT's rhythm playing is simple indeed, but I must say it's very effective on songs like LWM, Carol or SFTD on YaYa's. I mean, I would be very pleased if RW would play SFTD like that and KR would play the riffs he did on YaYa's!

HAIL HAIL ROCK AND ROLL was seen last night in Finnish television, and I watched it first time for a long time - I wish Keith Richards could play that simple chuckberry-stuff as he did then! It was a surprise how rigorous and strong his playing there was - it didn't made me any bigger impact at the time of its release, but now - after getting used to a 'different' kind of playing by him - it certainly did!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-18 17:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 18, 2008 17:24

I've always loved the JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP DOWN part.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 18, 2008 22:28

hbwriter
great! how can this be just 6 years before the '75 band/TOTA??? it's like dog years...

it's also like 6 dog years after their start in '63.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: July 19, 2008 00:50

OpenG wrote:
<Mathis - then how can you come on this site and keep educating us which most of the time I find interesting and learn stuff but quite frankly the stones have always been 3 simple guitar chords and the famous jagger approach to add the bridge to the song. KEITH"S LAW keep it simple and get the sound and groove of the rolling stones. At least taylor played Bar Chords instead of using open tunings and capos to add his chunky rhythm.>

This is not great rhythm guitar playing. This is the "easy way out" approach of rhythm guitar, imo. Sounds decent, but barre-chords is actually one of the last things you´ll go for, when you want to create good riffs and grooves. And, for the umpteenth time - using capoes and different tunings has NOTHING to do with if you´re a great rhythm player or not. It is how it sounds that matter after all, isn´t it? But Keith definately had tuning trouble on this gig smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home