Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Jimmy Vaughn
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:34

Jimmy Vaughn is doing a free show here on Thursday. Has anyone seen him on this tour? I saw him once, several years ago, with Etta James and BB King, and while he had a good band, he was not very good. But that was a long time ago.

Is it worth attending?

Re: OT: Jimmy Vaughn
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:38

Well I've always respected the fact that he never copied his more succesful brother. I personally think he's pretty boring though.. but if it's free, why NOT go?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 8, 2008 19:55

Jimmie has a distinct style. I never cared for it, but he is considered great in guitar circles.

I am reading the new new SRV book "Day by Day Night After Night" www.StevieRay.com
and Double Trouble bass player Tommy Shannon discusses the time he auditioned to be the Stones bass player in NYC when they were looking for Wyman's replacement.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 8, 2008 20:04

Those who worship guitar gods question his ability, but Stevie thought Jimmy could play, and he can. He's just not the guitar hero we expect from a modern blues guitarist

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 8, 2008 20:09

trainarollin
Jimmie has a distinct style. I never cared for it, but he is considered great in guitar circles.

I am reading the new new SRV book "Day by Day Night After Night" www.StevieRay.com
and Double Trouble bass player Tommy Shannon discusses the time he auditioned to be the Stones bass player in NYC when they were looking for Wyman's replacement.

What was the surprise bonus that came with the book?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 8, 2008 20:14

I've seen Jimmie on the Crossroads Festival DVDs but he never impressed me. Just seemed like a guy who could play a guitar...not neccessarily anything more than that.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 8, 2008 20:51

I've seen him a few times, and agree with most here, seemed rather ordinary, although when he opened for Clapton on that "all blues" tour he did for the "From the Cradle" CD, he did some pretty interesting acoustic stuff that I thought was impressive! But other than that...I thought he was capable but ordinary.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 8, 2008 21:17

I saw him open for Clapton, in 98 I think, and thought he was really good. He came on stage with Clapton for the encore, and they played "Before You Accuse Me" together.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 8, 2008 21:19

texas fan
Those who worship guitar gods question his ability, but Stevie thought Jimmy could play, and he can. He's just not the guitar hero we expect from a modern blues guitarist

True, thanks to his famous younger brother people are perhaps putting him in a wrong category, or doing an unfair comparison. In fact, there are people - not me, though - who actually approciate Jimmy more than his more famous "guitar-hero" brother. He is more like a rhythm player, or a team player, just like our Keith. The stuff he did with Fabulous Thunderbirds speaks volumes. Anyway, I need to say that I do not know much about his recent stuff or condition.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 21:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 8, 2008 21:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 21:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 8, 2008 21:25

Jimmy is a MASTER. Just go back and listen to those first few Fabulous Thunderbirds records. He has his own distict style, and those are some of my favorite blues records ever.

JR

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 8, 2008 21:52

i always scratched my head when jimmy younger and more famous brother stevie ray said that his older brother jimmy was a better blues guitarist than himself ?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 8, 2008 22:48

Jimmy plays with feeling. He plays great.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 8, 2008 23:01

In my opinion Jimmy is a true "sideman". That makes it hard on him to front a band,I think. But as mentioned above he is a great TRADITIONAL blues guitarist. Find a copy of 1982's "T-Bird Rythm" and tell me its not some of the finest stompin' rythm and blues you've ever heard. "Can't Tear It Up Enough" indeed!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 8, 2008 23:07

doesn't Angus Young consider Malcolm to be the better guitar player? Maybe it's like that--more of a command of feel and rhythm.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 8, 2008 23:27

Yes, Jimmy is a true master. I remember an interview with SRV, saying that he is looking up to his brother Jimmy cause he is a real.. master. His solo work is worth to have. But don`t go if you expect to see a soloing and endless noodling guitar hero. Jimmy is very understatement, very tastful and real feeling. Would drive a long way to see him here in Germany again..

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 8, 2008 23:54

Jimmie has touch beyond compare.

If SRV @#$%& the shit out of his guitar
JLV made love to it.

Since its free there is no question. Go.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:02

There are some interesting comments above
which equate with some of the positive and negative views we see around here about Keith as a guitar player.
As for me...I love JV. Some folks just don't understand;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-09 00:03 by Spud.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:20

cbtaco19
trainarollin

What was the surprise bonus that came with the book?

The bonus is a CD of Stevie Ray's earliest live recordings. I do not have the disc in front of me, but I think one was from 1969.

The book features 4 of my photos.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 9, 2008 03:50

Jimmy is a good guitarist, not great.
He's one of those guys that works well with the right band.
I saw the Fabulous Thunderbirds many times in the early eighties and they always put on a fantastic show, but really won't go out of my way to see Jimmie or the current T-Birds today.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: July 9, 2008 04:58

I saw Jimmy and Lou Ann Barton a few years ago at Fitzgeralds just outside of Chicago and was very disappointed. During his take of Slim Harpo's Baby Scratch My Back he kept playing that chicken-scratch thing on guitar taking all of the novelty out of it. On record, however, I dig his playing...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 9, 2008 15:27

I have to admit my favorite Jimmy Vaughn period is 70s-80s Thunderbirds. That line up did serious damage! And I first saw him as a teenager playing with The Chessmen in Dallas!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 9, 2008 15:30

I saw him as a warm up act for Dylan in 2006. I remember he played the guitar behind his head......

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2008 15:41

JV is a proper blues player...but not one that plays in a commercial style.
Like may of the old blues guitarists...he's a bit of an acquired taste and maybe not for the casual listener.
His brother played in a more virtuoso and potentially more commercial style. He got the breaks when he was alive and has [as is too often the case] gained much more respect and popularity since his death.
Both brothers were always appreciated by fellow players and by the real blues fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-09 19:15 by Spud.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 9, 2008 16:40

cc
doesn't Angus Young consider Malcolm to be the better guitar player? Maybe it's like that--more of a command of feel and rhythm.

Yes, I remember reading that too, and I think it went on to mention that Malcolm was quite shy and didn't want the focus on him either.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 9, 2008 20:15

I enjoyed Jimmy's work the most when he was in the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

I first saw the F.T. open up for Clapton in 1982.

As for Jimmy not "copying" Stevie, well that would have been fairly hard to do. Jimmy is the older brother and was in bands, successful bands before Stevie became popular.

The older F.T. albums/CD's rocked and they were great in concert!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 9, 2008 20:38

Saw the fabulous thunderbirds at their first london gig @ the Marquee, wardour st. Great gig but must admit to losing track of them after first album.

I dont think if they wern't brothers that many people wouuld compare. very different styles.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 9, 2008 20:49

His tribute to Stevie "Six Strings Down" is excellent.

"Six Strings Down" is a song written by Art Neville, Eric Kolb, Aaron Neville, Cyril Neville, Kelsey Smith, and Jimmie Vaughan, and which first appeared on Jimmie Vaughan's album Strange Pleasure in 1995. The song was written as a eulogy to Jimmie Vaughan's brother, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and, by extension, many other fallen guitarists.

In its original incarnation, the song takes the form of an acoustic blues. The opening line, "Alpine Valley/Middle of the Night" refers to the Alpine Valley Music Theater near East Troy, Wisconsin where the helicopter carrying Stevie Ray Vaughan and several others crashed following a concert in 1990. The song references many other deceased blues music guitarists including Jimi Hendrix (the "voodoo chile"), Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, T-Bone Walker, and Albert King. The song's refrain mourns that "Heaven done called another blues stringer back home".

All-star versions of the song were played at a tribute concert to Stevie Ray Vaughan in 1996 and, in a raucous version, at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2004.

Looks like Robert Cray, B. B. King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and Bonnie Raitt are all in this band. Pretty good company!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-09 20:58 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 10, 2008 14:34

Justin
I've seen Jimmie on the Crossroads Festival DVDs but he never impressed me. Just seemed like a guy who could play a guitar...not neccessarily anything more than that.

Just listen to the opening track of his first solo album "Strange Pleasure" and you'll find that he CAN play the guitar indeed. In a way he's a much COOLER player than even his brother, playing those fat, lazy licks with his very own distinct tone.

It's the same thing as with people like Otis Rush (as compared to Buddy Guy for example). People always concentrate on the spectacular, sometimes missing the other greats "in the shade"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 14:43 by Greenblues.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 10, 2008 15:03

Yes, I agree with Greenblues....Comparing Jimmy Vaugh to Steveie Ray is like comparing Mick Taylor with Keith.....a lot of Jimmy's strenghs are in the notes he doesnt play...He has impeccable timing, tone and rhythm.

Good one!

JR

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home