Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian's mellotron
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 3, 2008 17:34

I found this page about the Mellotron in the Stones music.

[blog.myspace.com]

I've many peplexities, particularly on this assumption:

"I am willing to claim that almost every exotic instrument played by whomever in the Rolling Stones™, and recorded after they entered the Olympic Studios in November 1966, actually were played on the keyboard of the Mellotron. Whether it was a trombone, saxophone, French Accordion, you name it. Even the much debated lead guitar on Let It Loose. Yes, and even the percussion track on Sympathy For The Devil.
When the Rolling Stones™ left Olympic Studios for the basement of Nellcote, the Mellotron was gone. Left behind. Because Brian Jones was dead. Nobody needed the sounds of the sixties anymore. If it, the Mellotron, turns up on later albums, then you know the track itself probably was recorded in the sixties. As Let It Loose was."

mmmhh !? What do you think ?

Re: Brian's mellotron
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 3, 2008 17:44

hm ... i wouldn't worry about it too much, straycat58 - as far as i can tell
the blogger is also "willing to claim" that the Stones recorded Walking the Dog after "late 1965"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:59

"the much debated lead guitar on Let It Loose"?

I guess on this guy's planet, there's not only a lead guitar on "Let It Loose," but also a debate about it!

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 3, 2008 19:14

This thread comes out as a consequence of this previous one, that I opened on the other section:

[www.iorr.org]

I was listening to the Olympia 1967 and found a fuzz sound in Satisfaction and Under my thumb. I uploaded them and Vox12string wrote me that it could be a Mellotron.

I did a google-research and I found this site which states that Brian brought a Mellotron with him during the 1967 tour. I didn't know it and I think this is the only Stones-tour where a mellotron was on stage (unless it was used again in the Steel Wheels - Urban Jungle Tour).

Anway, while I'm still trying to understand if the whistle-sound from the Olympia is produced by Brian's mellotron, here it comes this theory about the presence of a mellotron also in SFTD and Let it loose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 19:17 by straycat58.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 3, 2008 22:07

These claims from a Norwegian guy whom has an website with a description of every song the Stones ever recorded. It's quite funny to read, as this guy lives on another planet than we live on. He has all these stranges theories like that on every song the bass by Bill Wyman is doubled by keith, and therefore you always hear two basses. This guy also thinks all instruments other than guitars are done on a Mellotron.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 3, 2008 22:07

I found the site:

[www.godgammeldags.nu]

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 3, 2008 22:23

funny site Mathijs. Already found a false assumption on his site, claiming that Think I'm Going Mad was from 1975! Maybe he knows something we don't know?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 3, 2008 23:15

He also talks about correct speed / pitch, and claims that there is an American and a European Red Book standard - wtf?

that is true bs.
I won't bother to read the rest...^^

And just to mention it the American Red Book CD standards employs a 44.075 kHz sampling frequency, while the European companion is 44.1 kHz. That means if you have perfect pitch you can hear the speed difference. Actually, probably not.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 6, 2008 12:29

straycat58

I did a google-research and I found this site which states that Brian brought a Mellotron with him during the 1967 tour. I didn't know it and I think this is the only Stones-tour where a mellotron was on stage (unless it was used again in the Steel Wheels - Urban Jungle Tour).

I haven't seen or heard anything that supports the claim that Brian used a mellotron onstage during the 67 tour. No pics of him playing one and nothing in the bootlegs I have heard from the tour features him playing one.

The only keyboard seen/heard is the Vox Continental.

PS: that blog is truly ridiculous! eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-06 12:50 by His Majesty.

Posted by: only stones ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:45

His Majesty
PS: that blog is truly ridiculous! eye popping smiley[/quote

Why?
Sici

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:52

only stones
His Majesty
PS: that blog is truly ridiculous! eye popping smiley[/quote

Why?
Sici

Erm, because a lot of what he says, the crediting and instrument identification, is way off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home