Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
love & light to Brian
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 3, 2008 16:50

thanks & praises, Brian, and love & light -
hope we can all spend some time with his music today

- the Ally Pally All-Night Rave june 26th 1964 by John Hopkins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 16:53 by with sssoul.

Re: love & light to Brian
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: July 3, 2008 17:09

A very nice tribute, with sssoul - - thank you. Hard to believe that it's 39 years ago today that we lost this fantastic musician. May his music live on in our souls forever.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 3, 2008 17:20

Peace to Brian...

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 20:46 by stone-relics.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: July 3, 2008 17:29

Thank You Brian for your beautiful music...

Rest In Peace

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 3, 2008 17:47

brian you rock may your memory be eternal

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:05

Such a tragedy the loss of him. We were never able to winess Brian's post-Stones era,and what he might have achieved then. But he did achive a lot while alive. He gave us a band that turned out to be the greatest of them all. He was the passion that, among others, electrified Mick and Keith to gain marvellous results.

Without whom not.

- Doxa

Date: July 3, 2008 18:10

Bless you, Brian. Remember folks: no Jones, no Stones.

Let's not forget Jim Morrison today either - everyone should take a relaxing bath and think of Mr Mojo Risin'.

It's "Rock N Roll Death Day": Brian in '69, Morrison in '71 & Ziggy in '73.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:22

RIP brian - lets hope those loonys stop trying to dig you up!!

OLDKR

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:24

with sssoul
thanks & praises, Brian, and love & light -
hope we can all spend some time with his music today

I'll certainly make a point of doing so.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 3, 2008 19:09

The Ghost Of Good taste
Ziggy in '73.

...and he was so young. Barely out on tour for a year.

Date: July 3, 2008 19:20

cc
The Ghost Of Good taste
Ziggy in '73.

...and he was so young. Barely out on tour for a year.

Time takes a cigarette...

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: July 3, 2008 20:14

RIP Brian

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 3, 2008 20:29

" Brian was the first person in England to play bottleneck guitar and nobody knew what it was." - Bill Wyman

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 4, 2008 00:06

Rest in peace, Brian! He will always be my favourite Stone, as the talented musician and the Stones´ founder he was. Love ya man! Just wish more people would appreciate his musicianship and his significance for the band´s success....

PS! RIP also to Jim Morrison, (waaay) after the Stones the Doors is my favourite band.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 4, 2008 00:33

RIP Brian, the soul of the band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2008 00:43

Thanks Brian for all ya gave....Rooster....Time Is....Ruby..Satisfied...
Chicks...I Wanna...Snake-skin .... Even the snot style ya smeared on da Stones ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 4, 2008 00:47

...and let's not forget that there would have been no Rolling Stones without Brian:

God Bless You Brian.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 4, 2008 01:02

LOGIE
...and let's not forget that there would have been no Rolling Stones without Brian:

God Bless You Brian.

Notice there's no mention of Chuck Berry. Yes, this has been an increasingly forgotten fact, that Brian was the founder and leader of the band in the beginning. And he stresses they were a blues band, not a rock band! I've never seen this letter. I wonder how much $$$ that would fetch at an auction? Brian was quite a good writer, wasn't he?

RIP, Brian

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: July 4, 2008 02:16

Shine A Light For BJ

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 4, 2008 02:24

Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 14:53 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Faye Slith ()
Date: July 4, 2008 14:48

Brian leaves Keith for dead...

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:51

Good thoughts to Brian
for being such a great multi instrumentist
helping to kick start the blues in Englad
starting the Rollin' Stones
and having the best hair in rock 'n roll!

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:03

oldkr
RIP brian - lets hope those loonys stop trying to dig you up!!

OLDKR

quite.

RIP to the founding member.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:10

neptune[s
]

Notice there's no mention of Chuck Berry. Yes, this has been an increasingly forgotten fact, that Brian was the founder and leader of the band in the beginning. And he stresses they were a blues band, not a rock band! I've never seen this letter. I wonder how much $$$ that would fetch at an auction? Brian was quite a good writer, wasn't he?

RIP, Brian

Thanks Logie for providing teh letter. I don't recall seeing it before, either.

Neptune, good observations. But I think there is a logical reason why the letter stresses so much "authentic rhythm'n'blues" and does not mention Chuck Berry. Namely, it is sent to "Jazz Club" where that sort of puritism is more like a virtue. Berry's name would be like a red herring to to them. Seemingly, being as clever as he was, Brian tries to keep any connections to pop music or rock'n'roll out of sight. (Remember that was the reason some people walk out from Brian's band when Keith "teddy boy" Richards walked in, and Keith was always hated by the jazz people such as the owner of Marquee, etc. ...). But as far as I know Brian loved the rock and roll touch Keith had (because he let that influence to flow in to the band, and said @#$%& off to the true purists, like that Geoff fellow or who he was), and seemingly, Keith and Mick converted him to be a Chuck Berry fan.

Yes, nicely written.

- Doxa

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:18

Always been my favourite stone.
What a musician..

RIP

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2008 20:49

He's been dead for quite some time now.

Ian Astbury dedicated American Horse to him on July 3, 1989. I'm not sure why other than it had been 20 years since he died.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 4, 2008 20:53

He actually died on 2 July. But who´s counting. Love and light and thank you Brian.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 4, 2008 23:45

I wont be so sure about July 2 or 3. Which is the right date?
Was it around midnight?

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: July 5, 2008 02:54

Baboon Bro
I wont be so sure about July 2 or 3. Which is the right date?
Was it around midnight?

according to his death certificate: Date of death: 2nd July, 1969.

Hopefully somebuddy here can scan it ... it was in Terry Rawling's book "Who Killed Christopher Robin?"

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 5, 2008 08:10

Doxa
neptune[s
]

RIP, Brian

Thanks Logie for providing teh letter. I don't recall seeing it before, either.

Neptune, good observations. But I think there is a logical reason why the letter stresses so much "authentic rhythm'n'blues" and does not mention Chuck Berry. Namely, it is sent to "Jazz Club" where that sort of puritism is more like a virtue. Berry's name would be like a red herring to to them. Seemingly, being as clever as he was, Brian tries to keep any connections to pop music or rock'n'roll out of sight. (Remember that was the reason some people walk out from Brian's band when Keith "teddy boy" Richards walked in, and Keith was always hated by the jazz people such as the owner of Marquee, etc. ...). But as far as I know Brian loved the rock and roll touch Keith had (because he let that influence to flow in to the band, and said @#$%& off to the true purists, like that Geoff fellow or who he was), and seemingly, Keith and Mick converted him to be a Chuck Berry fan.

Yes, nicely written.

- Doxa

Correct, Doxa. Brian was attempting to appeal to the Jazz Club's 'elitist' sensibilities. He knew exactly what he was doing. That Geoff guy you mentioned was Geoff Bradford, whom Charlie Watts once stated was a better slide guitarist than Brian. Yeah, Brian indeed stayed true to Keith even when Geoff B. and the other blues purists threatened to leave his band (of course, we'll never hear Keith mention that). ALO gets a ton of credit for launching the Stones, and deservedly so, but if it wasn't for that little 'passenger' from Cheltenham working feverishly to book gigs, organize rehearsals/auditions, and hobnob around London, there wouldn't have been a band to fall in the hands of the future svengali in the first place.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home