Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Did anybody ever meet one of the Stones?
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 4, 2008 21:19

After the 2003 London Astoria show, I had the good fortune to bump into Mick Taylor who was kind enough to sign both my programme and the back of my ticket stub:

The following night, after his gig at the 100 club (on my birthday), he signed my ticket stub again:

I also shook hands with Bill Wyman as he walked through the arena at the Stones' final O2 show last August.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 4, 2008 23:06

guitarbastard
yeah, at a meet & greet in zürich 2006. first keith missed my hand and i had to grab it again! ;-)
it was all over in a minute. just a group picture, no autographs, no private pics.
dont quite understand why they do it at all then...
but still it was kinda weird and somehow very special to shake hands with my idols!

[www.cornuto.ch]

stupid me thought the angle of the lens wouldnt be that wide and i was afraid to be cut off of the pic, thats why i lean over...haha...

Who is the blonde woman in the middle (next to Ronnie)? She is beautiful!

Drew

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 4, 2008 23:31

drewmaster
guitarbastard
yeah, at a meet & greet in zürich 2006. first keith missed my hand and i had to grab it again! ;-)
it was all over in a minute. just a group picture, no autographs, no private pics.
dont quite understand why they do it at all then...
but still it was kinda weird and somehow very special to shake hands with my idols!

[www.cornuto.ch]

stupid me thought the angle of the lens wouldnt be that wide and i was afraid to be cut off of the pic, thats why i lean over...haha...

Drew

Good call Drew. Little wonder Ronnie's cozied up to her with that grin on his face!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 4, 2008 23:44

Short meeting with Taylor & handshake/radio interview w/ Bill.
Handshake & autograph from ALO.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 5, 2008 02:42

Met Keef in Studio 54 in 1981/2.

Had the pleasure of meeting Jagger and Jerry Hall at a restaurant on the beach in Barbados in 1993 as the Stones were preparing to record Voodoo Lounge.

They were all polite and gracious.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 5, 2008 03:07

drewmaster

Drew

dont know her. her father (right behind her) won the meet&greet for 2 and she came with him.
i think she's not even a big stones fan....

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 5, 2008 03:07

Charlie, between sets on his last nite with his jazz band at Ronnie Scott's in London, in 2004. He autographed my copy of "Ode To A High Flying Bird".

Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:37

Following on JLowe's post; my Mrs. worked at the Media Museum back then, but didn't find out about the Stones visit 'til after. A museum security guard told her he had to bollock Keith for junping up and down on the seats. Ronnie asked to go to the pub and one of the directors took him to the Jacob's Well

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Later, the museum staff and family got a sneak preview of 'At The Max' to "see if it's the kind of thing the museum should show". Up til then it had been geographic & nature documentaries. Everybody gave it a big OK and the film was put on.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 6, 2008 14:01

Hello,

I've just realised/remembered that I met young Bill after a very enjoyable 'Rhythmn Kings' show in Blackpool,back in 2005.

No doubt about it,my memory ain't as good as his,heh-heh!
He was very fan-friendly,now I think about it,as was Mr. Chris Stainton who didn't mind being dragged off the tourbus only to be told repeatedly by me how much I loved his playing on 'Quadrophenia'.
Lucky guy...

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 6, 2008 16:49

Spoke to Brian, got a short reply Perth 65. Ive posted that before. The one I have allways wanted to meet more than anybody else was Bill.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 6, 2008 17:05

A good friend of mine, Lisa, caught up with the band at their hotel after the Slane gig last year:

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 7, 2008 18:22

Ron Wud
Following on JLowe's post; my Mrs. worked at the Media Museum back then, but didn't find out about the Stones visit 'til after. A museum security guard told her he had to bollock Keith for junping up and down on the seats. Ronnie asked to go to the pub and one of the directors took him to the Jacob's Well

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Later, the museum staff and family got a sneak preview of 'At The Max' to "see if it's the kind of thing the museum should show". Up til then it had been geographic & nature documentaries. Everybody gave it a big OK and the film was put on.

Hey - thanks Ronnie.
I used to live in Bradford-escaped after 51 years.
Miss the Museum and Salts Mill - not a lot else though.
Did you know that Martin Celmins aka Jet Black who wrote the Peter Green biography hails from Bradford. He was largely responsible (I thought) for getting Greeney back into the music scene.
He isn't a bad musician either-plays the blues and has supported Fleetwood Mac on tour in the U.S.on tour.writes for Blues and Music periodicals, may have written other books as well.
Was supposed to be writing one on Rory Gallagher but I've never seen it out on the shelves.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: July 7, 2008 19:10

Mick Taylor invited me and a friend onto his tour bus to do some autographs and was really nice chatting about stuff and didn't rush us off. Met Charlie briefly a couple of times on tour, shook his hand once and chatted with him in the hallway of the hotel another time. Shook Ronnie's hand at the George V in Paris and sat at the same table as Jo in the Rattlesnake Inn, sat next to Mick in the Hyatt bar in Cologne and then exchanged pleantries with him at the end of ABB in N America. Briefly spoke to Keith after the opener of B2B at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 8, 2008 00:43

I met Mick Taylor at the airport of Pisa, in the morning following the Pistoia Blues Festival 2003 where he played (and Bill Wyman's ¨band, too). I asked him an autograph, took a photo with him, and talked briefly with him about the concert (for example, why played such a short list - "They didn't let me play more"), what he liked about the Finnish band Wentus Blues (the band he has toured with Scandinavia few times), etc. Very nice, humble, and honest sounding man.

By the way, those few days in the summer 2003 were the most thrilling ones in my life as a Rolling Stones fan: in four days time I saw all the living Rolling Stones in concert: first Taylor and Wyman at Pistoia, and then The Stones at Helsinki - plus that rare occasion to meet and talk with Taylor... (To be true: each show was the worst I've seen any of them, but that is another story).

Honëstly, I think my occasional running into Taylor, and the chance to talk with me is the perhaps the ultimate thing I could do. Even then I felt myself a bit stupid for interrupting his privacy. In the case of Jagger or Richards or Watts even asking the autograph or a photo would be even too much, forget talking... I mean: to talk what?
- "Hi Keith. I'm Doxa and I'm a fan of yours for 25 years"
-" That's nice, Doxa"
- "So Keith, what is your relationship to Jagger nowadays?"....
- "Huh??"

I mean... if you don't happen to meet - or even 'know' - these people through some professional or family reasons, or that the meeting is somehow prior arranged (making an interview or something), at least I would otherwise felt myself quite idiot to bother their privacy. Better to keep some distance between fans and idols. It would be ridiculous or phony to talk about the weather or the menu with Mick Jagger - because, for god sake, what a hec I would mind about the weather or the menu if Mick Jagger is present?

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:15

It would be ridiculous or phony to
talk about the weather or the menu with Mick Jagger

No easy Doxa....

Hey Mick do you enjoy crumpet more in the winter or summer months?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 8, 2008 22:48

Ha- I think he was pulling your leg- the late great Greg Ridley (ex-Spooky Tooth) was The Pie's bassist from Day One until the original lineup split in 1975. Anthony "Sooty" Williams played on the 2 lacklustre 80's LPs (a black chap from New York, definitely not Scottish). Hope you didnt buy him a drink...

Supposedly Brian Jones, a pal of Marriotts, was interested in joining the band (their early stuff was in the latter day Small Faces/Music from Big Pink vein) and had arranged to go down to a rehearsal but met his unfortunate demise shortly before.....

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:02

Met Mick Taylor after a gig in 1996.

Met Ronnie in 1997 at a press conference and in
1998 at their Munich hotel.

Met Bill outside the concert venue in 2001.

Shook hands with all of them during shows (except for Brian:-)

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 9, 2008 01:22

Hi,
Haven't been on the forum for a while since the last O2 gig, but yeah, I met Charlie a few times when I was fortunate to be living in the next village to him and I got to know Steve (Shirley's brother, Charlies's sometime drum tech) to play pool and hang out. Charlie even served in the local pub one time when it was really busy and a girl, supposedly a Stones fan, was served and didn't recognise him until after he was gone. Charlie supports a lot of the local childrens'plays, giving stuff to be auctioned etc. When I was setting up my music room in my new house I wrote to Charlie and explained that all the time I'd met him I'd never asked for an autograph but I'd like one to go on the wall, surely enough about 4 months later I got a personalised letter from him, apologising to me thet it had taken so long...needtheless to say, this has been framed and is on display at home.
Ronnie I've met a couple of times in the Aer Lingus Lounge at T1 Heathrow when he and I have been on the same flight from London to Dublin, 1st time 1999 and the only time I bothered him (and Jo) for an autograph. Flew back from Dublin to Heathrow with Ronnie and Jimmy White (snooker player, great pal of Ronnies) a year later, sat next to Jimmy and drank champagne all the way home (sadly those days have gone now that Aer Lingus no longer has business class). Ronnie was a complete gentleman those times I've been priviledged to meet him, also Jo, just so funny !
Haven't met Mick or Keith, but here's hopiong someday.

Cheers,

Chris

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 3, 2009 16:48

SimonN
Hello,

I've just realised/remembered that I met young Bill after a very enjoyable 'Rhythmn Kings' show in Blackpool,back in 2005.

Cheers,Si.

nice photo Simon!

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: September 3, 2009 17:08

Charlie...backstage SF..VL Tour
Ron Wood...Art Show NYC
Keith Richards..Turks and caicos
Mick..backstage Las Vegas VL Tour

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 3, 2009 20:04

Keith Richards in the 6'x3' bathroom at Tramps, E. 15th Street in NYC...

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 3, 2009 20:52

met bill
met chuck
met bernard fowler
met chris jagger

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 3, 2009 21:37

dewlover
Keith Richards in the 6'x3' bathroom at Tramps, E. 15th Street in NYC...

I thought Tramps was on E 21st off of 6th Ave? Although it is gone now.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 3, 2009 22:47

I shook Charlies hand at the 100 Club in June. Also, Mick Taylor brushed my shoulder on his way into the Bottom Line at Shepherds Bush in 1994.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 3, 2009 23:05

Cooked a meal for Mick once in '81

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2009 23:34

Took a shower with Anita

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-03 23:52 by NICOS.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 3, 2009 23:49

Mick Taylor a couple of times, first time was after a show with John Mayall 3 or 4 years ago. I got autographs from Mick and John. John Mayall was cool. I met him on the way into the show and had a good conversation.
2nd time I met MT was on his way into a show in Glasgow a few weeks ago.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 3, 2009 23:49

I got hit by a drop from one of the buckets of water Mick threw into the audience at Earls Court in 1976!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 4, 2009 00:02

Deltics
I got hit by a drop from one of the buckets of water Mick threw into the audience at Earls Court in 1976!

You can subpoena him Deltics and meet him in court

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 4, 2009 00:19

NICOS
Took a shower with Anita

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home