Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Song selection on live albums
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 29, 2008 21:21

I'm listening to "Still Life" now, I never loved this record but now I can't help listening, it has grown on me recently. Yeah, it's got the energy and it's not as bad as some of the critics say.

Anyway, it's the worst song selection I can think of! Some of the highlights of the tour, indeed, and some warhorses, but when I'm listening to some '81 bootlegs, the songs I love the most are:

Let It Bleed
Beast Of Burden
She's So Cold
Black Limousine
Waiting On A Friend
Neighbours

6 songs! So, may I call it the worst song selection on any Stones' live album [for me]? Because I'm not so hard to satisfy, the list is usually 2 or 3 songs (JJF and If U Can't Rock Me for Live Licks, Some Girls for No Sec, Hand Of Fate and Worried Bout You on Love Ya Live, blah blah :]).

What do you think? winking smiley

Re: Song selection on live albums
Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: June 29, 2008 21:26

i like the fact that for every new stones live album, they always include an average of 8 previously unreleased live song.

i love still life, especially shattered.

Date: June 29, 2008 21:31

yeah, like rare tunes on No Security or 2nd disc of Live Licks, or 1st SAL disc... recently they have been going in a good direction.

but Start Me Up is like wow... Flashpoint, Still Life, Live Licks, SAL, haha. we should be happy they didn't invented the riff in 1969, though it would sound great on Ya-Ya's grinning smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 29, 2008 23:16

Amused
Some Girls for No Sec

That would be quite difficult since No Security was released in 1998 and the first time they played Some Girls live ever was in 1999!

Date: June 30, 2008 00:13

Oh. You got me :-) I should've known that!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:17

Well that B-side of Beast Of Burden is without a doubt pretty bad and so it's good they left it off the album.

If you look at all of the live albums, perhaps Still Life and No Security (and disc 2 of Licks without a doubt) are the more interesting releases when one considers how many live albums they have and how many of the same songs have been released over and over and over.

And maybe for this album they figured they'd do something different. Personally I really dig Still Life but sound wise it's pretty bad. Performance wise they could have left off Shattered and Start Me Up - both are terrible. Start Me Up from Flashpoint is, to me, untouchable. And at least Shattered got a better representation on SAL.

Maybe, as they seemed to have plowed their way through the set lists and played everything as fast as possible some of those tunes just sounded like crap on other recordings? I would think so. But that's just me.

Date: June 30, 2008 16:23

The 1981 bootlegs - many of them - sound better than Still Life.There were great versions of Waiting On A Friend,Beast of Burden,Let It Bleed (not the one from Arizona),Down The Road Apiece,Neighbours etc. played that year.I'm not a big fan of the '81 style All Down The Line on the other hand.The Still Life Album is sourced from a handful of different concerts.

Date: June 30, 2008 17:35

You can go on about this for a long while :

Ya-Ya's ~ no Under My Thumb,no Prodigal Son,no Satisfaction

'71-'73 ~ no live album at all - just Let It Rock from Leeds 1971 *

Love You Live ~ no Black and Blue songs except for Hot Stuff and only four songs from El Mocambo *

1978 ~ no official live album *

Still Life ~ this has already been covered *

Flashpoint ~ only Sad Sad Sad,Can't Be Seen, and Rock And A Hard Place represent the then most recent album - no One Hit (To The Body) - many live b-sides however *

Stripped ~ no Connection,no I Can't Get Next To You,no Jump On Top Of Me,no new Voodoo Lounge material at all for that matter *

No Security ~ no 19th Nervous Breakdown,no Crazy Mama,no Already Over Me,no She's A Rainbow - I could go on *

1999 ~ no live document of songs like Moonlight Mile,Some Girls,and I Got The Blues *

Live Licks ~ no Heart of Stone but,the biggest problem in this case was not which songs - it was the versions of these songs that they used.(There was also way too much bad editing on Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man for no apparent reason.)The prime example is Rocks Off where the definitely should have went out of their way to use a different version,the same goes for the eventual live b-side Hand of Fate,and If You Can't Rock Me where a horrible version is included on the Japanese release.They could have used If You Can't Rock Me from the Staples Center in Los Angeles (2002)or from 8-29-'03 or from 1-16-'03 instead of 1-18-'03.They could have used Rocks Off from Glasgow on September 1st,2003 or from London on 9-13-'03.

Date: June 30, 2008 17:51

Live Licks suck a bit (it's a gorgeous album for me, but it could be thousand times better!), but Four Flicks is truly perfect. You got great If U Can't Rock me, Hand Of Fate, 6-minute SFM and even Midnight Rambler!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 3, 2008 04:34

Flashpoint could have been a better album songwise. How about this?

Continental Drift (Intro)
Start Me Up
Sad Sad Sad
Miss You
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Play With Fire
Factory Girl
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Can't Be Seen
Paint It, Black
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
High Wire
Sex Drive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home