Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Are the Stones fair employers compared to the average industry standards?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 23, 2008 20:51

Brian : he was fired, but it seens he quite deserved it
Mick T : he resigned
Jane Rose : wasn't she re-hired by Keith?

My knowldedge is very poor, but even I was not a fan, I would rather cook a pizza for Ronnie Wood than for David Gilmour

Re: Are the Stones fair employers compared to the average industry standards?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 23, 2008 20:54

>> wasn't she re-hired by Keith? <<

yes, in a different position (she's his manager)

Date: June 23, 2008 20:56

How can you manage Keith?

It's a nonsense.

Date: June 23, 2008 20:58

Or at least, it seems so.

Rose must be very smart.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 23, 2008 21:06

I would think by industry standards they are magnificent employers. Their longevity as a working band coupled with the fact most people stay with them for donkeys years, suggests that employment on the Stones bandwagon is the music industry equivilent of a civil service job for life!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 23, 2008 21:20

Well - Taylor resigned for a reason, and a big part of it was that fact that,
in his mind he contributed to a number to songs and was told by Jagger: You
will get writing credit and didn't. Taylor was smart enough to know what kind
of royalities($$$) would be generated over the years. So did Bill, so does Ronnie - none of them got the writing credits they think they deserve.

So in that light, the "Glimmers" come up some what short...

MLC

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 23, 2008 21:40

MCDDTLC
Well - Taylor resigned for a reason ---

MLC

H?

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 23, 2008 22:22

I met one of their riggers in the plane on the way home from Ireland last August after Slane, the last outdoor show. He was sporting a very fancy staff tour jacket and was very positive about the previous two years he'd spent in the Stones employ. He said they were always polite, albeit distant, and had, at numerous times throughout the tour, called the whole crew together for a pep rally / thank you session. Usually with Mick leading the cheers. He said he made very good money which was waiting for him at the bank as he never had much chance to spend it. He said he had a week off and was then going to hop aboard the Police tour in Paris. He knew a fellow I knew, from Michigan, in the same line of work. Theirs is a small world.

Date: June 23, 2008 22:34

I talked to a Stones roadie in Shanghai.

He told me the same. One month or six weeks on the road, then a week off. A young, friendly, family man. He looked happy to work for the Stones.

He told me that for this special occasion, he would not go back to the USA during his week off, but would rather stay in an island around.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 24, 2008 03:50

Sounds to me like most of the road crew is contracted by the Stones rather than being directly employed by them.

I once heard that The Grateful Dead's crew was employed full time by the band, maybe necessary since they toured so much.
I also heard that TGD's crew participated in bonus programs, retirement plans, etc.
I wonder if the Stones' management provides benefits such as these to their lower-level employees?

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 24, 2008 14:18

Edith Grove
I wonder if the Stones' management provides benefits such as these to their lower-level employees?

Likely not unless you're in the upper echelons of the crew. The whole operation comes and goes at the whim of Mick and the gang afterall.

Date: June 24, 2008 14:21

Edith Groove, you put it very accurately, much more than I did.

As for their lower-level employees, the pattern may be similar to a common transnational or trans-european logistics company.

Where the company formally bases its staff? Doest it use subdisiaries in certain countries to escape heavy welfare in another country?

For instance, in logistics, it is well known companies use to pay their drivers in Eastern Europe rather in Western Europe to pay less benefits.

This worth also for tax on net income. The Stones have located for many years their musical business in The Netherlands with Promotone BV.

Could be a similar scheme for touring?

Yet, not to forget, the unions can be strong and impede that sort of offshoring. Remember the strike on the US West Coast in 2006? that threatened a Stones show... Cannot remember the city....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 24, 2008 18:39

What do you think ?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 24, 2008 20:03

MCDDTLC
Well - Taylor resigned for a reason, and a big part of it was that fact that,
in his mind he contributed to a number to songs and was told by Jagger: You
will get writing credit and didn't. Taylor was smart enough to know what kind
of royalities($$$) would be generated over the years. So did Bill, so does Ronnie - none of them got the writing credits they think they deserve.

So in that light, the "Glimmers" come up some what short...

MLC

Mick T. resigned because he was destroyed by drugs. Full stop. All the other stuff is bravado and whimpering.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:26

Exactly. And while we're at it he was hardly an employee. I don't think he ever had a contract of employment!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 25, 2008 14:49

with sssoul
>> wasn't she re-hired by Keith? <<

yes, in a different position (she's his manager)

Why?? If she was good enough for Keith.....or was there not a suitable position for her in RS Ltd?

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: June 25, 2008 16:21

All crew and staff call Mick 'The Man' when not in his presence and they call him "Mr. Jagger" in his presence. This from a lighting guy who has been with them for several tours a close friend of mine.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: June 25, 2008 16:22

The real question I would like to know is what does a Daryl, Blondie or Lisa make on a tour?

Date: June 25, 2008 16:39

>> Why?? <<

weird question - why not?? it's not a demotion - au contraire. and she's very very good at it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 25, 2008 17:28

I suppose it would be quite difficult to get a very concrete answer/assessment. Being a "fair" employer doesn't just mean salary levels-as we all know from our own experiences. Loyalty to ones employer doesn't on its own imply anything as I'm sure there are political obsessives, for example,out there, who work around the Westminster village and will put up with all sorts of crap, because of their commitment to political intrigues etc, doesn't imply that their employers are decent at all. What I mean is its the nature of the job which in most cases drives people on (though a reasonable salary helps).
I know a guy who works for Greenpeace - he gets all over the world, works long and unsocial hours and then has long breaks. Wouldn't suit most people, but for im its fine. I guess working for the Stones is similar.
Interestingly, peoples perception of "celebrities" can sometimes be way off beam. A neighbour of mine, who is exceptionally hard working and able had the most dreadful experience working for the late Anita Ruddock, she of Body Shop fame - and somebody generally with a "positive" image. He had to walk out in the end.
I wonder if most of the staff-at least those on permanent contracts - have had to sign gagging orders.
On a final note, I read in an interview that Mick-in particular knows (or makes it his job to know) his "staff" -at least being able to address them by their names and what thier function is. As I believe they have -at times- close to 500 personnel on tour at any one time, that's not bad going.
PS Re Jane Rose, I just wondered why she was (I assume) surplus to the group's needs

Date: June 25, 2008 19:41

>> PS Re Jane Rose, I just wondered why she was (I assume) surplus to the group's needs <<

i don't think she was "surplus"; she was no doubt replaced in whatever her previous capacity was,
but rumour has it that she didn't get along well with Mick, and was more than glad to be employed by Keith instead.
all the bandmembers have their own employees, and it's certainly not a "lesser gig" to work for one of them personally.
i know what i'd prefer! :E

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2008 20:58

dont quote me but i think the crew is well paid has great benefits and is well FED,and they work for the greatest rock and roll band in the world

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home