Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SFTD VOODOO LOUNGE
Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: June 20, 2008 17:30

why didnt they play sympathy at the beginning of the tour??????
I think the first time they played it on that tour was in vegas on october 15th

its very strange cause sympathy fitted perfect into the voodoo setlists, settings and styles of this fantastic tour

Re: SFTD VOODOO LOUNGE
Date: June 20, 2008 19:42

You are correct.It was probably just because they wanted more of a difference between the (then) new tour and the previous ('89-'90) tour.After 2 and a half months they broke down and brought it back in typical Stones fashion.SFTD wasn't even in huge need of a rest at that point as it had only been played a handful of times in '75/'76 since 1970 (other than '89/'90 and perhaps one other time).It will be in much more of a need for a break now if they continue with more live shows.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 20, 2008 20:02

They had Love is Stong in that spot (Mick's crazy top-hat get-up) if I remember. SFTD is a much, much better song, so... keep the schtick, put a song which gets a better response for Mick's crazy shenanigoat?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2008 20:04

are you talking about Out Of Tears? they kept that in for the rest of the tour. Maybe not every single show. But it wasnt replaced.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 20, 2008 20:06

Love is Strong, where it was in the setlist, and Mick's top hat thing - was replaced by SFTD.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 22, 2008 03:13

There were shows with Love Is Strong earlier in the set list and then Sympathy after Keith.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 22, 2008 03:18

ryanpow
are you talking about Out Of Tears? they kept that in for the rest of the tour. Maybe not every single show. But it wasnt replaced.

James is right. Love is Strong was played at the part of the show where SFTD was later played. It wasnt dropped totally, but was moved.

Out of Tears wasnt an ever present, and was dropped permamently after the japanese leg,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-22 03:21 by Gazza.

Date: June 22, 2008 03:25

thats not the point and please stick to the topic!!!

everybody who has seen the stones in 1994 knows that they played
love is strong instead of sympathy

the question is why, because sympathy fits way better into voodoo lounge
than any other warhorse
so why didnt they play it in the beginning of the tour.......

Date: June 22, 2008 03:33

October 15th is the first time they played SFTD and moved Love Is Strong to after Memory Motel or Doo Doo Doo or whatever song in that part of the set.

That is odd that they weren't playing SFTD earlier. Maybe they didn't feel like it. From Oct 15 on it was in the set. So you are wrong - anyone who saw the Stones before Oct 15 didn't get to hear SFTD and anyone who saw them from Oct 15 on - unless there was a night or nights they didn't play it - did get to hear it in 1994.

Date: June 22, 2008 03:37

skipstone
October 15th is the first time they played SFTD and moved Love Is Strong to after Memory Motel or Doo Doo Doo or whatever song in that part of the set.

That is odd that they weren't playing SFTD earlier. Maybe they didn't feel like it. From Oct 15 on it was in the set. So you are wrong - anyone who saw the Stones before Oct 15 didn't get to hear SFTD and anyone who saw them from Oct 15 on - unless there was a night or nights they didn't play it - did get to hear it in 1994.

honey, I am not wrong, just read my first post here and you will see that I already told ya that they played it on oct 15th for the first time on that tour

of course within the following threads I meant people who have seen them in 94 before that day
read the posts, then you dont have to tell people they might be wrong

Date: June 22, 2008 03:43

See post # 2 on this thread.Nobody here knows exactly what they were thinking.Why did they not play it (SFTD) in '82 or '73 etc..?Why didn't they play Midnight Rambler in 1994??They could have played Love Is Strong and Sympathy at every Voodoo Lounge show and dropped Honkey Tonk Women for the first 2 and a half months but,they didn't do it that way.Maybe it was because Sympathy is long and at the start of the tour they wanted to play 26 songs per show.

Date: June 22, 2008 03:43

Oh so sorry sweetie - you are right about your first post. I hadn't read it in a while and was going on what you said - "everybody who has seen the stones in 1994 knows that they played love is strong instead of sympathy."

So I did some research and figured out what you figured out but based on that one sentence it seemed a bit odd to put it like that there honey cakes.

Date: June 22, 2008 03:46

thank god they didnt play rambler
its a shit song and overrated!!!!
posted that here before, and on iorr people dont like to hear that but
it is fukkin overrated
a pain in the ass for stadium shows
in arenas its okay but still bad!!!

Date: June 22, 2008 03:47

skippy
I forgive you lil research boy
because you are so sweet

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 22, 2008 04:26

Mick looked like Howard Stern in that top hat and sunglasses getup

Date: June 22, 2008 04:52

As sweet as a cavity for the brain....

Date: June 23, 2008 02:33

I've been reading this board for five years and plenty of "worst songs" threads where nobody can agree but,I've only ever heard/seen one person complain about Midnight Rambler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-23 02:34 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Date: June 23, 2008 04:50

Gretzky IS the greatest of all time. Come on - that's out of line there.

Date: June 23, 2008 18:28

I saw it posted but,I don't remember "a lot" or anybody really agreeing.Maybe I missed a few people or maybe I didn't but,I'm sure that they are few and far between.You can use all of the F---'s you want but,it does not make you right,it just makes you sound like you're 12 years old.What does liking a well regarded song have to do with being a Stones insider?If you don't like it,fine,but your posts make no sense.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 23, 2008 18:39

I prefer Midnight Rambler to Sympathy.
Great live song.
Give Mick a harmonica instead of a top hat.

Date: June 24, 2008 17:32

Midnight Rambler is much better than Sympathy. It breathes, it changes and they don't seem to slaughter it to a yawn when played live.

Date: June 24, 2008 17:35

Oh - remember, it's glimmertwin81. Everything must be taken lightly. With a good nod and a wink.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 24, 2008 22:47

My favorite version of rambler is four flicks msg, awesome, but dont tell glimmertwin, he think im a stones insider

Date: July 11, 2008 01:03

I bet glimmerboy likes Rock And A Hard Place more than Midnight Rambler.

Date: July 11, 2008 01:34

skippy
I prefer rock and a hard place
but not the song

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: July 11, 2008 16:28

In Europe 1995 Mick would use the elevator for SFTD and just walk in on the stage for Not Fade Away.But when Mick used the lift for NFA in the US 1994 they would do Love Is Strong after Keith's 2 songs and,as I understand it?

Big T

Date: July 14, 2008 08:12

Midnight Rambler - it should be played EVERY tour. Did they even do it once during the Voodoo tour?

Frank, since you don't like the song but prefer rock and a hard place, I think you are lost. Your life must be miserable being so lost. Go with god son.

Date: July 15, 2008 15:13

They played it at only seven concerts or so in 1995 : five times between January 30th,1995 and February 25th 1995 as well as two times in Australia '95.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 15, 2008 17:08

Midnight Rambler?

It was played on the final night of the tour in Rotterdam. I was there and distinctly remember it. Without looking it up, I think it was also played at one or more of the theatre shows - eg Brixton.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 15, 2008 17:14

They also played it in Rio in february!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2375
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home