Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: you re 3 favorit songs in open g to play
Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: June 19, 2008 22:10

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Can't you hear me knocking

Honky Tonk Women........................

2nd Choice

Brown Sugar

Tumbling Dice

You can't always get what you want

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 19, 2008 22:18

"Hava Negilah"
"When The Saints Go Marchin' In"
"Brown Sugar"

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: June 19, 2008 22:47

sorry this is probably for another thread.
but....god i wish i knew how to play guitar.

Any advice on how to get started out when your in your late thirties.
I hope it's never too late. Do I start with acoustic or electric? Love both - which is easiest?

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 19, 2008 23:09

paulr15

I hope it's never too late. Do I start with acoustic or electric? Love both - which is easiest?

I teach guitar, mainly to beginners, so I guess I can answer this question. I'm teaching one of my neighbours to play guitar and he's 45.

My advice would be to start with a nylon string acoustic. If you decide you want a steel strung acoustic then make sure the strings are light guage (ie thin). Ask for a set of 'nines' as we call them - extra light is what you get. Don't get a guitar that feels like a plank of wood. Get something that feels easy to hold and when you press the strings down it isn't hard work. Get a tuner and learn how to tune the guitar.

I taught myself guitar without a teacher, so it can be done, but it depends on your outlook. If you would LIKE to play guitar you haven't got enough conviction IMHO. If you WANT to play guitar you'll put the effort in to succeed.

The secret to playing guitar is to practice 10 or 15 minutes EVERY day. You gotta develop a relationship with your guitar.

To begin with learn some basic chords. Buy yourself a chord book or look on the net to find a picture of an E chord, an E minor chord, A chord,A minor chord, D chord, D minor chord. Then make sure you put the correct fingers on the correct strings and play each string one at a time for each chord, so that you can hear each string playing cleanly. Change the order that you play each string in for each chord as well.

Lastly, remember that every guitarist you see today has had to learn from scratch. They aren't all gifted, but they all put the TIME into it.

Even Hendrix and Clapton started from scratch....;-)

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 20, 2008 08:23

One Hit is in open G - Keith's guitar is anyway.

Sway is in open G - Mick Jagger's guitar is anyway.

Rocks Off is standard.

Luxury is open G.

Child Of The Moon is open G because Keith said it was.

Midnight Rambler is in B sharp only down half a step in standard with a capo...CAUSE I'M OLD GREGG!

Posted by: SonnyBoythe3rd ()
Date: June 20, 2008 08:25

B Sharp? I prefer to play songs in F Flat.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 20, 2008 10:14

paulr15

Just to briefly add to stikky's wise advice and without wandering too far off topic ;^).

The main thing is to stick with it over the first few days and weeks when your fingers just don't seem to want to learn and the whole thing seems impossible ;^)

Get to the point where your fingers are doing as they're told and you've cracked it, it will suddenly gert much eraier and you'll then improve very quickly. Just don't give up too soon ;^)

Proper lessons are geat for some folks. Other's might just like to buy a chord book and then just listen and learn by ear.
Once you have a chord book and few chords up your sleeve, you'll be able to play simple arrangements of most songs.

Date: June 20, 2008 10:14

One Hit is standard tuning. That is easy to tell by ear. Child Of The Moon is open E or D. Where did Keith say that it's in open G? BTW, Keith has also claimed that Little T+A is in open G, but as we know, that is not correct. Don't trust Keith smiling smiley

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: June 20, 2008 16:00

DandelionPowderman
<One Hit (To The Body)
Rocks Off
Short And Curlies>

All in standard tuning.

My opinion:

On Hit To The Body - open G

Rocks Off - original 1 guitar track - open G

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 20, 2008 16:01

"5 string riffin'" from voodoo outtakes.

Date: June 20, 2008 16:40

<On Hit To The Body - open G

Rocks Off - original 1 guitar track - open G>

You can achieve a similar effect of what Keith plays when you tune up to open G minor. Same thing with Struggle (I actually thought for a while he tuned up like this for the song. Later found out he does it in standard tuning).

The boogie with the dark E-string on Rock's Off however, is impossible to achieve with open G tuning, unless you keep the low e-string standard tuned. The opening riff is played the same way as if it was tuned in open G, but it doesn't ring as powerful, because the a-string is not used (not the light e-string either).

Date: June 21, 2008 13:51

DandelionPowderman
<On Hit To The Body - open G

Rocks Off - original 1 guitar track - open G>

You can achieve a similar effect of what Keith plays when you tune up to open G minor. Same thing with Struggle (I actually thought for a while he tuned up like this for the song. Later found out he does it in standard tuning).

The boogie with the dark E-string on Rock's Off however, is impossible to achieve with open G tuning, unless you keep the low e-string standard tuned. The opening riff is played the same way as if it was tuned in open G, but it doesn't ring as powerful, because the a-string is not used (not the light e-string either).

Agreed.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 21, 2008 15:27

For me;
If You Can't Rock Me
Hand Of Fate
and Stop Breaking Down...as it's nice to solo at the same time there

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 21, 2008 17:13

skipstone

Rocks Off is standard.

Luxury is open G.

Midnight Rambler is in B sharp only down half a step in standard with a capo...CAUSE I'M OLD GREGG!

The studio recording of Child of the Moon is 100% open D, you simply cannot play what is on the record using open G.

Midnight Rambler in B sharp??? Main guitar is standard with capo at 7th fret ie key of B, slide guitar open E.

Date: June 21, 2008 18:13

His Majesty
skipstone

Rocks Off is standard.

Luxury is open G.

The studio recording of Child of the Moon is 100% open D, you simply cannot play what is on the record using open G.

Midnight Rambler in B sharp??? Main guitar is standard with capo at 7th fret ie key of B, slide guitar open E.

Yup,I agree.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Re: songs
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 21, 2008 19:45

>> Midnight Rambler in B sharp??? <<

er ... even i recognized "b sharp down a half step in standard" as a strangulated sort of humour -
it works just fine with the slide guitar in open f flat ... :E

Re: songs
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 21, 2008 20:15

with sssoul
>> Midnight Rambler in B sharp??? <<

er ... even i recognized "b sharp down a half step in standard" as a strangulated sort of humour -
it works just fine with the slide guitar in open f flat ... :E

grinning smiley

Hah, it pays to read things properly huh!?

Date: June 21, 2008 20:26

Yeah, the B sharp was a joke. I know it's a capo at the 7th fret. In standard. A-440 and all that.

Child is in open D. Duh, forgot. Open something.

Struggle is open G. He hits the E minor and it sounds like it's about to die. It's perfeect. The live version I saw him play on that SNL show was open G.

One Hit sounds like open G to me. In standard that jumping between chords doesn't sound the same as it does in open G (as well as Love Is Strong, Wicked As It Seems, Lowdown, It Won't Take Long).

Is there anywhere to actually find out for certain?

Date: June 21, 2008 20:35

skipstone
Yeah, the B sharp was a joke. I know it's a capo at the 7th fret. In standard. A-440 and all that.

Child is in open D. Duh, forgot. Open something.

Struggle is open G. He hits the E minor and it sounds like it's about to die. It's perfeect. The live version I saw him play on that SNL show was open G.

One Hit sounds like open G to me. In standard that jumping between chords doesn't sound the same as it does in open G (as well as Love Is Strong, Wicked As It Seems, Lowdown, It Won't Take Long).

Is there anywhere to actually find out for certain?

Well, you could ring Keith and ask him, but he's probably busy....

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 21, 2008 20:37

>> Well, you could ring Keith and ask him, but he's probably busy <<

one of our London-based cohorts could head down to Ronnie's and ask -
it's Leah's wedding today, so they're doubtless all sitting around reminiscing about tunings :E

Re: you re 3 favorite songs in open g to play
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 21, 2008 21:40

I never use opne G to play Stones songs, even for those that were originally done that way. I find it more challenging to find ways to play those songs in standard. However I do use open G on acoustic guitar for slack key, old blues stuff and other stuff. Some songs you may know: Bron- y-Aur Stomp, Going To Caifornia and That's The Way are in open G for example.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: June 21, 2008 21:54

DandelionPowderman

Er... excuse me, but even if I'll get stoned to death now... But Struggel Is in open-g, isn't it? I always thought one could tell from the Hollywood Palladium dvd.

Date: June 21, 2008 21:58

Yes, Struggle is in open G. Tuning to open G minor makes the rest of the song - any other riffs - not work and makes no sense. Playing a minor in open G is not difficult. Maybe for some people it is.

Date: June 21, 2008 22:15

thank you, skipstone.

Date: June 21, 2008 22:19

Yer welcome.

Well maybe I just well might call Keith up and ask 'im!

Date: June 21, 2008 22:24

He's busy, we're just havin a drink and watch the footie. Said he couldn't remember Struggle.

Date: June 21, 2008 22:38

I just asked him if he remembers what he was doing during the solo for Sympathy at Joe Robbie in 1994 and he said We were touring that year? Which, by the way, has got to be the worst solo I've ever heard from Keith Richards.

Date: June 22, 2008 01:16

Struggle is standard tuning. We had a thread about it a year ago. I was the one claiming that Keith used open G minor (cause the riff fits well in that tuning), but when I saw live videos (SNL+Palladium) he clearly used standard tuning. The same ringing...

Date: June 22, 2008 01:18

It´s not hard to play minor chords in open G. But it is hard to play the Struggle riff in minor in open G. Try it!

Date: June 22, 2008 02:49

I have played Struggle in open G, just like Keith did on SNL. It's not hard. It's interesting.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home