Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The absolute boot ?
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: June 18, 2008 21:15

What is for you the absolute boot ? And which one would you advise me ?

For me the best I've ever listened to is MSG 72, but I have only a few one (most from the 72 73 tours), I also like MSG 03 from HBO and Buenos Aires 06 is great with wonderful crowd !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Re: The absolute boot ?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 18, 2008 21:36

It's very hard to say, but I think it has to be bootleg called ROCKS OFF from 1973.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 18, 2008 22:26

Handsome Girls and The Complete Brussels are revelations. The latter is a jaw-dropper, the former a great warts n all document of a warts n more warts tour. I'm also very very partial to the Wembley Stadium 1990 boot.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 18, 2008 23:39

Brussles 1973.

Cliche, yes. But in every cliche is an element of truth.

For the record, the true ulitmate boot is May 8, 1977 Barton Hall, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY!
smoking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2008 01:42

Keith's snake-skin down at Muscle Shoal Sound Studio ...Hacked toe looks like it's alive and gonna strike...sssssssss

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 19, 2008 01:52

jamesfdouglas
Brussles 1973.

For the record, the true ulitmate boot is May 8, 1977 Barton Hall, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY!
smoking smiley

Although a great show...I never understood the mass appeal of the Cornell show...I'm a 73-74 fan, but recently, I've been playing a lot of 67-70 on Archive.org

You can't go wrong with pages 86-106. Twenty pages of live bliss. winking smiley [www.archive.org]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 19, 2008 02:32

Recently, I've been listening this long forgotten treasure.
Stu's piano on She's So Cold is exclamation point.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 19, 2008 02:47

Philadelphia Special 1972

Date: June 19, 2008 03:17

Ditto Handsome Girls. I've been listening one lately called Fifteen Licks, Palis Royale, Toronto 2002. Great song selection, should be officially released IMHO. Plus the video from the show is fantastic.

Scotty

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 19, 2008 03:20

Barton Hall indeed!! - That along with Brussels are the two tops without doubt

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 19, 2008 03:30

Toru A

I was at that show in KC - much fun. The Mick taylor appearance was anticipated as he was in town doing clubs with Alvin Lee. Probably overstayed his welcome on stage - but made for an interesting show.

Date: June 19, 2008 05:12

Do You Like Billy Wyman - Melbourne '66.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: June 19, 2008 06:40

mstmst
Toru A

I was at that show in KC - much fun. The Mick taylor appearance was anticipated as he was in town doing clubs with Alvin Lee. Probably overstayed his welcome on stage - but made for an interesting show.

I was at that show, too.
Ian Stewart showed up for the last 3 or 4 songs of George Thorogood's set.
It was the boiling jam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-19 08:12 by Toru A.

Date: June 19, 2008 08:09

This is my first SACD boot. The sound quality is better than Shine A Light SHM-CD somehow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-30 04:41 by Toru A.

Date: June 19, 2008 08:56

Hi Toru A !

Where couold I buy (order) the "Nasty" in SACD Version ?

Thanx !

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2008 09:08

Yeah Tora....Can ya please email a contact for SACD Nasty....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: June 19, 2008 09:25

Hi Toru, I'm also iterested. Thanks

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 19, 2008 13:25

Rockman
Keith's snake-skin down at Muscle Shoal Sound Studio ...Hacked toe looks like it's alive and gonna strike...sssssssss

YEAH, no competition ;-)
One of the highlights of Gimme Shelter!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 19, 2008 14:34

Complete Brussels does it for me.

Date: June 19, 2008 19:24

I have a boot called Headin For An Overload from 73 European Tour, great stuff, can somebody tell me from which show it is?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 19, 2008 19:45

...Brussels mostly...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 19, 2008 19:54

Bingo
jamesfdouglas
Brussles 1973.

smoking smiley

Although a great show...I never understood the mass appeal of the Cornell show...I'm a 73-74 fan, but recently, I've been playing a lot of 67-70 on Archive.org

You can't go wrong with pages 86-106. Twenty pages of live bliss. winking smiley [www.archive.org]

Thanks for the tip!
I've been focusing on 77-80 myself.

Maybe time to give Pigpen some love...
smoking smiley

Got a favourite Dark Star?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 20, 2008 04:34

Brussels, of course - but don't forget Get Your Leeds Lungs Out! from 1971. Tough, hard live music.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 20, 2008 07:30

Favorite Dark Star? That Dark Star>That's It for the Other One>Lovelight combo from 2/13/70 on Dick's Picks 4 is a nice place to start. Any of the 1969 Fillmore West versions are also aces. The 35-minute Dark Star>Eyes of the World>China Doll combo from 11/10/73 that was recently released on the 1973 Winterland box is another winner. Dick Latvala's personal fave, however, was from Miami in 1989 or '90: that one is full of dark menace.

And no, I'm not connected with the Dead, just a yahoo who bought nearly all the stuff they've released after Jerry died.

If you're a true Dark Star afficionado, check out Grayfolded and Transitive Axis, a two-hour collage with clips from about 50 different versions of Dark Star (along with a few Spanish Jam and Other One clips). "Truly weird, horribly smashed!"

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 20, 2008 16:17

A favourite Dark Star....hmmmm...I don't have one. Dark Star, to me, is like an event. You have to be there in person to experience the experience.

But, if I had a time machine, I'd be happy to be at any Dark Star from the early 70's.

For all those checking out the archive link.....here are all the bands they have on that site....most are smaller Indie type bands. [www.archive.org]

Date: June 20, 2008 16:35

Handsome Girls or STP 72

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: June 20, 2008 16:45

Ok, if anybody is interested in my list or if it could be of some use for you, olorin, here they are my must have bootlegs. I'm sure all the experts will be familiar with these.

Beginning with studio rarities and outtakes, I only can name a few. There's so much stuff out there that contains the same sessions and recordings that sometimes it's not easy to choose. But "Clean Cuts Vols. 1 & 2" is a nice collection of rarities with great sound for starters.

Other recommendations could be "The Trident Mixes", The 10 CD collection "Ultra Rare Trax", "The Woodstock Tapes" with rehearsals for the 1978 tour and of course the complete Mickboy remasters, superb work.

As for the live stuff, the list could have no end, so I'm gonna stick to those bootlegs that could have been official releases because of the sound quality and excellence in performance. This is a huge list with well known boots, all of them soundboards or broadcasts, the "classics":

From the 60's:
- Beat Beat Beat At The Beeb 1963-1965, BBC Sessions.
- Live'r Than You'll Ever Be (Oakland,California, Nov. 9, 1969. Audience recording but a good one).

From the 70's:
- Get Your Leeds Lungs Out (1971)
- Ladies & Gentlemen (US Tour 1972, film soundtrack)
- Brussels Affair/Timeless (Brussels 1973. Best Midnight Rambler ever!!!)
- Handsome Girls/No Flash, No Gimmicks! The Definitive 1978 Fort Worth Edition (1978 Tour. Asstounding sound and performances. One of the best)

From the 80's:
- Hampton Roads Coliseum, Virginia, 1981.12.18 (Few versions out there. Check the buy/sell/trade section to find a good one)
- Atlantic City 1989.
- Cold Steel Blue (Tokyo 1990).

From the 90's:
- Miami 1994
- Voodoo Edo. Live in Japan 1995.
- Olympia Thatre, Paris 1995 (An exception here. Audience recording but excellent quality, awesome performance and great set list).
- Stripped Companion (Absolutely a must have. Voodoo Loung club gigs + Studio rarities and B-Sides)
- St. Louis, December 12, 1997 (The complete gig recorded for the Bridges to Babylon Tour official DVD)
- Cow Skins and Pig Shoes (Sheperd's Bush 1999. Same thing as Olympia 1995. Great audience recording and killer set list)

From the 2000's:
- Secret Gig (Toronto 2002. A bit dry soundboard, but great club gig)
- HBO Special, MSG, New York, 01-18-2003 (Complete concert later released in the Four Flicks DVD)
- The audio from the Four Flicks DVD is also highly recommended, specially for the gig at the Olympia, but this is offcial stuff, so won't be posted here (DVD Audio Extractor can help you if you have the DVD).
- Live in Saitama, Japan, 2006.04.02 (One of my favourites. Second best Midnight Rambler ever!!! For my money, even better in terms of sound and performance than Buenos Aires, better mix. Good crowd also, quite audible).
- Finally, Lost Legal Live Tracks contains official live B-sides released between 1971 and 2003. Another nice collection for beginners.

The senior collectors could give you a more complete list, these are only the essentials. Most of the stuff is easily available in this forum, so good luck hunting them in case you don't already have them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-20 18:54 by milio77.

Date: June 21, 2008 00:37

milio77, can you give me the link to Lost Legal Live Tracks please, it is interesting me a lot !

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 21, 2008 00:47

Mick's birthday MSG 1972 does it for me. Stunning version of All Down The Line.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 21, 2008 07:09

C'mon folks!!!!!

Happy Birthday Nicky (Perth n Sydney 1973)

IMHO, Keith Richards at his very best, and lovely-lovely VIBRATO.

The Perth wah-wah Gimme Shelter solo may be the best guitar solo of all-time!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home