Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Most "Dated" Stones Album?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:32

oldkr
anything before voodoo is dated either because the songs are written in a now unrecognizable style or because the production value is so low, or because production techniques have moved beyond the point that those albums were made.

OLDKR

A record with low production values can still sound fresh, no matter how old it is, as long as the music itself is of a timeless nature. For instance, I don't think Meet The Beatles or England's Newest Hitmakers sound dated at all. Sgt. Pepper and Satanic Majesties, however, DO sound dated.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:35

tatters
JumpingKentFlash
Most of their albums sound pretty dated to me. This includes Beggar's, LIB, Fingers, Exile and Some Girls.

What on earth are you talking about. These albums are not dated. They are timeless.

Which album have you heard that sounds like Aftermath, let alone Exile, from the past 10 years? They for sure sound dated, but as I said it's all part of the charm.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2008 15:38

FrankM
baxlap
If one defines "dated" as "having characteristics that indicate having been created in a specific time," I'd go with Satanic Majesties. All the psychedelic gobbledegook that is otherwise missing from their work screams 1967-68.

Yeah I was using the word in that sense. That's why I included Some Girls. I meant sounding as if you could pinpoint the timeframe not dated as in I can't listen to it anymore. I still listen to SMR, BTB and SG although SG has two of maybe a handful of Stones songs that I am sick of (Miss You and Beast Of Burden).

To me SG has a sound that is unmistakably seventees whereas their other seventees albums have some songs that sound more modern.

I disagree with you about Some Girls. If you played it for someone who had never heard it before, and they didn't know it was released in 1978, there's no way they would ever be able to "pinpoint the timeframe". There's nothing about that album that screams 1978 at you, not even Miss You.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 15, 2008 16:09

"Dated" is something negative to me. Satanic is a total '60's product, but the recording still sounds fresh to me. To me it's not dated but does take me back to that age.

Dirty Work sounds terribly dated to me, as the production sound totally 80's and very, very bad.

Mathijs

Date: June 15, 2008 16:48

Say what you will about A Bigger Bang but,it doesn't sound dated.It hasn't been out for three years yet.Only some tracks on Undercover sound dated.Dirty Work and Steel Wheels sound dated but not as dated as two other albums.Really,the most dated is Between The Buttons followed by TSMR as the music sounds the most far away from what modern music sounds like.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 15, 2008 17:08

A Bigger Bang also sound a bit dated I think. It's kindda retro, so it's OK. Most of their stuff sound dated, but only a few is dated in a bad way.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: June 15, 2008 20:49

one man's dated is another man's retro eye rolling smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 15, 2008 21:21

The Stones are a package.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 15, 2008 21:34

I agree on Dirty Work. That album sounded dated the same day it was released.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2008 01:18

This one's been dated...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: June 16, 2008 05:31

Wow,

I never thought I would see the term dated as in "out of style" associated with the Rolling Stones.

A better term would be timeless. I'm in my 40's and all that stuff is still as fresh to me as when I played them on my LP's, 8-track and Reel to Reel tapes. Oh well, everyone has the right to their opinion and I respect everyone commenting.

Good music no matter what era it was created in is still easily listened to today. I still get a real charge when I put on the Rolling Stones, Bo Diddley or Mott the Hoople. Simply fantastic!

Back to my Charlie Parker.

CBII

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 16, 2008 06:24

TSMR
dated and tired

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 16, 2008 09:45

It's not specific to the Stones or any other performers... but much less older music sounds noticeably dated these days.
It's because we now hear so much "retro" sounding new music, harking back in sound and style to periods from the 60 through the 80s.
The most dated sounding stuff today is a lot of 80s music.
The Stones catalogue doesn't suffer as much as some because they remained essentialy a guitar based band.... and never liked engineers telling them how their guitars should sound ;^)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 16, 2008 12:41

If, by the term 'dated', we are referring to albums where production/arrangement has actually been to the detriment of the finished product, then I'd have to go for the UK version of Between The Buttons. Some of the instrumentation/percussion appears unnecessary to the point where I suspect that it is there for the sole reason of giving Brian something to do, or allow him to show off his musical prowess.

As a consequence, Yesterday's Papers, My Obsession and Connection become little more than wasted opportunities, while the vaudevillian sound of Something Happened To Me Yesterday is the Stones trying to be the Kinks.

The beginning of the end for Andrew Loog Oldham.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 16, 2008 15:30

I'd sort of agree with that. BTB, despite some high spots, was the Stones not really knowing what they wanted to do.
Stones trying to be the Kinks ? Yeah, I can go with that.
They couldn't be the Beatles either...but [thankfully] realised in time that they were much better at being the Rolling Stones ;^)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 16, 2008 23:14

LOGIE
If, his musical prowess.

As a consequence, Yesterday's Papers, My Obsession and Connection become little more than wasted opportunities, while the vaudevillian sound of

The beginning of the end for Andrew Loog Oldham.

strongly disagree.

My obsession is a pop masterpiece. Charlie, Bill and stu are great on it. And so is Micks voice... plus he and Keith sing together.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 17, 2008 00:38

Some Girls, deffo. Just a bunch of three chord ditties, played fast. Yawn...

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: June 17, 2008 00:49

Whip and Lies don't even have as many as that do they?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 17, 2008 01:27

in a strange way the Some Girls era Kind of reminds me of the Aftermath-between the buttons era stones (songs like flight 505, Think, Complicated, My Obsession) theyre both more pop sounding to me. Simple chord progressions and the band just jamming away. Im a fan of both eras in case you can't tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-17 01:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 17, 2008 02:28

HEILOOBAAS
Some Girls, deffo. Just a bunch of three chord ditties, played fast. ...

and thats a bad thing?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 17, 2008 02:35

No, just dated.....Beast of Burden, Shattered, Miss You...all gone by the wayside..Much rather hear Blue Veins, by the Raconteurs...

JMHO...

JR

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 17, 2008 10:54

Without doubt the most 'dated' albums are Mick Jaggers solo albums. She's the Boss and Primitive cool! Christ.

I feel the stuff from the 80's on Jaggers greatest hits album really shows its age badly.

Oh, and Wyman's early attempt - jesus.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 17, 2008 11:52

I think it's hard for us Stones fans to be objective about this as we're so familiar with the music, at least it seems so for me. To me, most of their stuff sounds timeless and not dated at all. The very early stuff is slightly dated as in that it's very early-60s sounding, but everything since sounds timeless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-17 11:54 by WeLoveYou.

Date: June 17, 2008 15:59

I actually think that "Shattered" has aged better than any pre-1980 track.It fits seemlessly in rock stations' rotations (the stations that play old,new and in between) where as a more rare song like "Dead Flowers" (for example) stands out more/seems a little out of place with the songs played before it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 17, 2008 18:33

For me 'dated' means it's equivalent to bad milk. So Their Satanic Majesties Request is a dated album even though it does have some good songs on it. As I've stated elsehwere it would have made a great EP with just 2000 Man, Light Years, Citadel and Rainbow and including We Love You. Other than that it's a terrible album, a big gallon of bad milk.

Maybe Between The Buttons only because of the Bob Dylan wannabeisms - that dates that record.

Even worse further is some of the Mick Jagger solo songs. Let's Work might be THE worst song written by a rock'n'roll person EVER. She's The Boss is also a terrible song. The songwriting and the production go hand in hand.

Keith doesn't have any bad solo songs.

I think if you can pinpoint something specific that's what dated means. Undercover, part of it, could be conisidered a dated album because of the horrible push button techniques used on it. Steel Wheels reeks of having too much FM radio sheen to it.

Bridges To Babylon for it's behind the times attempt at being trendy and current.

Mind you, not every song on those albums could be considered that - Bridges has tunes on it that could come from any era personally. Overall though, I'd say Majesties is their most dated with Bridges right behind it.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: June 17, 2008 18:37

An excellent and accurate summary, skipstone.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 17, 2008 18:44

Thanks. For once I made sense? Ha!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home