Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The New York Dolls Were Great!
Date: June 8, 2008 19:02

I love this band:

Re: The New York Dolls Were Great!
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 9, 2008 00:47

Back in 1973, I realized this, but amongst my friends it was a tough sell. The rock fans here in WV were into "guitar hero" bands (Zeppelin, Skynyrd etc). Of course, so was I, but I looked beyond our narrow cultural confines and wanted to know what was happening in the outside world. Sad to say, I could only find out about the Dolls through rock mags like Circus, which I regularly read.

I bought their first LP, and I was hooked. I was just 16, and a burgeoning musician, so that sound, while primitive, was a throwback, in a fashion, to the older rock I was first exposed to. It was an overall SOUND, like the old Elvis Presley band, and was distinctive. Rock n roll as it was meant to be.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 9, 2008 14:05

They're still great! Ok, it's a different band, but they don't hurt the name. I was very happy with their performance here in Helsinki last December, they played way more songs from the new album than I expected, and those songs worked really well.
It's funny the way many "guitar hero"-fans (no, I don't mean the game!) scorn the Dolls, tho' Jimmy Page praised Johnny Thunders early on (but I guess they don't listen much to Jimmy's 1977 favourite album either: the debut of the Damned)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 9, 2008 14:31

Yeah, I liked them! And Thunders solo album!
To some degree they were Stones clones.

Bought that DVD of them.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 9, 2008 15:56

The early albums were load ramshackle rock n roll. Personally I absolutely loved the last record they released 'Some day it will plaease us to remember even this' every song is a cracker! personally I thought it was a better Srtones album than Bigger Bang.

saw them on the tour in London and they were as good as ever live, probably even better!

heard a rumour that they are planning on recording another new Lp. can't wait

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 9, 2008 16:29

The original band was a marvelous, shambolic wreck! They didn't swagger as much as they careened.

I've seen the new lineup several times. It's a really good rock 'n' roll band, but it doesn't careen. The band members seem so ... sober! It has as many members of the real New York Dolls as the band that made David Johansen's first solo album (BTW, a lost classic). One Day It Will Please Us is more a logical successor to that first solo album than it is a New York Dolls album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home