Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T...Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band,Dublin and Manchester,May 2008
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 27, 2008 16:34

Hello,

Wow!
You don't think you're ever gonna see a better show by Bruce and his brothers,and then the bar is raised again.
Quite simply,they were astonishing...in terms of the songs palyed,the respect given by and shown to the audience (sometimes he makes you work for the performance),the sheer vitality and raw emotion.

One of the things that is overlooked sometimes is the amount of fun that this band have onstage:no po-faced playing.During the intro to one of the 'anti-Bush/celebration of Bush's departure from office' songs from the latest album,Bruce asks his band what they're going to do about it...
"Hell,we're gonna SING about it...",then he adds,laughing"Yep,that's got them worried!".
Not without a sense of humour,thank Goodness!

As Dublin was treated to 3 shows over 4 days,the set-list was shaken-up for each outing,with 7 or 8 songs coming-in.I saw people over the age of 40 weeping with joy at some of the choices:"Jungleland",for one.
After almost 2 hours and 30 minutes,you knew you'd seen something pretty special.

Met some terrific people over the course of those shows too-thanks!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-29 03:03 by SimonN.

Re: O/T...Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band,RDS,Dublin,May 2008
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 27, 2008 16:41

Wow..great pics, Simon...thanks for sharing. was great to run into you, but the show you missed (the 3rd one) was the best of the lot.
Every one of the 3 shows bettered the one that preceded it.

The second night was one of the best five or six shows I've ever seen by anyone - and then the third night was even better!!!. Setlist to die for - Spirit in the night, Sandy, Growin Up, Rosalita..a 26-song show which went on for just shy of two and three quarter hours.

Mine arent as professional as yours, but here are a few from night 3 :

Plus a few from Thursday with a few new 'friends' of mine....

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: May 27, 2008 16:42

I was there on sunday night and it was very special indeed. 'Because the night' being a particular highlight, but there were countless others. Also, i think, we got 2 extra songs that night after American Land, which was nice.

He also took a girl out of the Audience to dance with during Dancing in the Dark, although admittedly she was ten. No doubt she'll be in a sitcom in 15 years time as well!grinning smiley

I'll tell you what. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Having seen the energy of the E Street Band and the energy of the Stones, I'm gonna have to waver in favour of Bruce & Co. He still sings. He still sings the songs with the feckin' original tune you'd know. Sure there's occasional inflections where the melody changes slightly, but by and large, he's singing and there's a defined pitch there.

Compare this to Mick and I gotta say that I'm sick of Mick yelping out the songs. I'm not saying he's not good, but to be honest, I saw the Stones in 95 when Jagger was YOUNGER than Springsten is now, and he was still yelping and running around the place. The cruddy singing is not excused by his litheness, as Bruce appears to have them both nailed down.

there's no doubt about it; Bruce is officially the hardest working man in rock'n'roll.

I'm sorry to say it...i will still go see the Stones, but i think Bruce exemplified the idea of a simple stage, sod all in the line of pyrotechnics, and just putting a million percent heart into the show is the key to success nowadays.

Date: May 27, 2008 16:47

Hi Gazza,

I think your 'indoor' shots will better anything I'll ever take,heh-heh!

Just magic,all of it!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 27, 2008 16:51

now G, tell us the story behind those fotos with band members

p

Date: May 27, 2008 17:01

Simple answer, Tim. We walked in through the hotel entrance, sat down, discreetly had a drink and behaved ourselves. We met and got pix with each band member apart from Bruce (by the time it was time for him to leave for the show, there were about 150 people out front so they smuggled him out the back). In most cases, we could see each band member emerge from the elevator to go past reception so we'd politely ask for a pic and when we got it, we shook hands and then left them alone. Without exception, each of them were very nice.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 27, 2008 18:52

My partner, Jan, took Gazza's advice and got lucky as well!

...but I waited outside and got their autographs instead...

...heh, heh.

Date: May 27, 2008 18:59

Hi Logie,

Outstanding work,outstanding shows!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: May 27, 2008 19:05

Brilliant shows, Simon, and thanks for the wonderful pics (as ever)!

Friday was a lot better than Thursday, but I'm still kicking myself for missing Sunday night's extravaganza.

...aah what the hell; it's all a mere warm-up for tomorrow night in Manchester!

Date: May 27, 2008 19:07

Excellent pics, Logie! Delighted for you and Jan.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 27, 2008 20:14

Great pics and reports. I start the fight thursday and so have decided to pass on the friday tickets but am gambling I'll be up for the Saturday gig. Got standing but hoping to swap for good seats on the day, The staff at the Emirates have been great ( unlike Ticketmaster ).
The set lists look great the reports confirm what i expected from the setlists and if Gazza is right abou each show topping the previous ( as the set lists indicate) than, I', set to crawl there.
anyone from here going saturday ??

what was kick off time ?
What time do you reckon we'd need to be tehr to get in the pit ?

Date: May 27, 2008 20:24

Firstly - good luck with your treatment Thursday....you're in our thoughts and we hope it all goes well and you'll be back to your old belligerent self very soon.

In Dublin, the first two shows started at 8.10 and the third at 8.20. It said "7.30 pm sharp" on the tickets and that the gates would open at 5 pm...they actually opened a few minutes early. The shows were over between 10.35 (Friday) and 10.55 (Sunday).

I didnt go for the pit on night 1 as we didnt arrive until 7.50 (we were under the impression there wouldnt be a pit and had spent the afternoon at the band's hotel as you can see above). For the other two shows we were in the queue after 4.30 and got in to the pit easy. If you had been there any time up to about 6.15 youd have got in OK....its a much bigger area than it was for the arena shows. I did notice though that for the shows taking place on the weekend, people will get there and queue a bit earlier than they do during the week as less of them have to come from work.

Worth also mentioning that with shows at OT and the Emirates being very rare and the fact theyre in residential areas, there may be curfews, so if (say) the show is going to end at 10.30, then Bruce will probably be on by 8 pm.

I think if you're there by the time it says the gates are opening, you'll probably get into the pit OK.

smiling bouncing smileyRe: O/T...Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band,RDS,Dublin,May 2008
Date: May 27, 2008 21:16

Cheers Gazza, I'll be there, unless the doc straps me to the bed thursday smiling smiley

Thnaks for the supportive words , it all goes to powering my GOOD VIBES machine and if positive thinking has a role in anything, I'm tapping in mate.

Oh and I''m still feckin beligerent mate tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 29, 2008 03:03

Hello,

How much fun was that?

Manchester got the full treatment last night!

That's it folks!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-29 08:02 by SimonN.

Re: O/T...Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band,Dublin and Manchester,May 2008
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 29, 2008 04:42

Ok,Si. Now you have me confused. Not that it's hard to do, Are the latest pics from Manchester or Dublin? Either way they are great and I can see that Europe is once again finding out what we rediscovered in the states on the last leg. There is NO BETTER live act today than the E-Street Band.smileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 29, 2008 08:04

Hi SCL,

The second lot are from Manchester:these are the kind of shows I wish everyone should and could see...amazing!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 29, 2008 09:42

Lucky you guys, I am so jealous! Unfortunately Bruce is not comming anywhere near the palace where I live (Czech Rep.) - the nearest is Hamburg (about 850 km away). I was thinkig a lot about going to Hamburg but I won't make it finaly. I would so much love to see him. It's a pitty. I just don't understand why Bruce keeps on avoiding our coutry - he's never been here.
Anyway - thanx for all those great pictures, I am happy you had fun!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 29, 2008 09:51

Roll on London. I'm going to both nights.

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: May 29, 2008 10:13

Last nights show in Manchester was simply awesome and thanks for the super pics from Simon and Gazza.

Highlights were his rapport with the audience, 26 songs, loads of energy from the Band and the Boss, and the fact that I get to see them again on Friday at the Emirates and there WILL be a different set list.

I am not into giving people advice but if you have never seen them before, get on Backstreets and grab yourself a ticket - you will not be disappointed.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 29, 2008 10:19

thanks for the photos, Simon-
i can't wait for friday night, now!

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: May 29, 2008 11:44

"it´s good to be here, it´s good to be anywhere - even in Helsinki Olympic stadium at 11th July as a bruce-first-timer"

Thanks guys for the marvellous photos & reports!

Date: May 29, 2008 11:46

Hi Chaps,

Thems were only magnificent!

By the way,today is bike ride kick-off day...250 miles in 48 hours with the hope of seeing Bruce at The Emirates for his 2nd London show.

If anyone who hasn't thus far feels like giving a little,then please,please,please click on the link below-we're almost at £3K.

All the best,

Si.

Date: May 29, 2008 11:55

best wishes for the bike ride, Simon

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: May 29, 2008 13:34

All the best Simon and hope you make it back up to Lancashire without too much 'saddle soreness'!

Posted by: partydoll Meg ()
Date: May 29, 2008 14:30

WOWZA!! Great Photos, Simon!! Lucky you to see him both gigs..

SCL and I have to wait for another dose of Bruce. We are enjoying him through you guys.

Have fun on the bike ride. I'd say "Hope it doesn't rain"..but that would be just foolishgrinning smiley

Next up...Emirates. Will he wear the Red Devil jersey?

Have a great time all who are going!!

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: May 29, 2008 14:35

Went along to this as a casual Bruce fan and, wow, pretty special. Close on 2.5 hours, 26 songs and a great crowd (if a bit rainy). Great interaction with the crowd from Bruce too - spent a lot of time working it. Couldn't help but think the great standing view I had for £55 would have cost £150 if it's been the Stones; this was a VERY good value gig. If you are off to the Emirates this weekend you are in for a treat.

Date: May 29, 2008 15:24

I gave up judging the actual merit of Springsteen shows ages ago, simply because his concerts are often so radically different from one night to the next, that ultimately, the question of 'how good he was' can only ever be determined by individual perceptions.

That said, in terms of outdoor shows, last night's Manchester gig was on a par with anything that I myself have ever witnessed. It had vitually everything, with a setlist that somehow managed to cater for all types of fans; the casual observers, the newly-converted, the old die-hards, and of course, anyone looking for the possibility of (and stumbling upon) an unbelievable night out.

Bruce simply tore up his intended setlist last night (I know, because I have a copy) by performing requests from the crowd, which included the likes of 'Hard to Be A Saint In The City', 'Growin' Up', and 'Adam Raised A Cain' as well as a fantastic rendition of 'Rosalita'; the latter being a song that I have never particularly liked, but performed last night, as though his life depended upon it. An incredible rendition.

The pacing of the show was also quite meticulous, and like the Dublin performances, Bruce managed to build the audience up gradually towards a fever pitch, whilst still maintaining the element of surprise right up up to the very end.

As with any outdoor shows by any artist, there is alas, no room for subtlety in front of such huge audiences, and for that reason, I'm glad that Bruce steered clear of the more quieter chestnuts such as 'Stolen Car', 'Something In The Night' and 'Racing In The Streets', the like of which I doubt we will ever hear again. They would not have worked in an atmosphere in which tens of thousands of people are simply there to party.

Not that I'm averse to a good party. In which case, party-on Bruce...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 30, 2008 20:46

partydoll Meg
WOWZA!! Great Photos, Simon!! Lucky you to see him both gigs..

SCL and I have to wait for another dose of Bruce. We are enjoying him through you guys.

Have fun on the bike ride. I'd say "Hope it doesn't rain"..but that would be just foolishgrinning smiley

Next up...Emirates. Will he wear the Red Devil jersey?

Have a great time all who are going!!

Great pics Simon...Adrian,have a great show tonight...Meanwhile me and Meggy will be sitting here patiently(or not) waiting for a TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: May 30, 2008 20:57

So who is going saurday ? I AM smileys with beer

Date: May 31, 2008 14:45

unbelievably wonderful show, last night, at the Emirates.

straight up, pure, rock and roll.
A Value for money ticket price, unrivalled.
No fireworks, catwalks, overblown backdrops and theatrics.
A great, great show, one of the very best, in a stadium i've ever seen.

And a sobering truth, for us Stones fans...
on last nights form, Bruce and his band blew The Stones out of the water.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home