Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Barbarians - Live In Maryland 1979
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 21, 2008 20:30

Today I went for shopping and I did buy this wonderful CD.

Disc 1: sweet little rock &roller / buried alive / f.u.c her / mystifies me / infekshun / rock me baby / sure the one you need / lost & lonely / love in vain / breathe on me

Disc 2: let's go steady/ apartment #9 / HTW / worried life blues / I can feel the fire / come to realise / am I grooving you? / seven days / before they make me run / JJF

It's so much better then SAL, so much more fun. Nasty Rock & Roll!

Re: New Barbarians - Live In Maryland 1979
Date: May 21, 2008 20:33

It has been released on "Wooden Records" 2006.

Did I miss something (has this been discussed before?)

Anyway, it's great, I love it

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 21, 2008 21:15

>> has this been discussed before? <<

yep, back when it came out.
i'm glad it's grooving you! that's what it's for

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:02

What date, or at least what month, in 1979 was this show? And was it Baltimore?

Thanks.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:08

May 5 1979 Largo, Maryland - Capitol Center Arena [www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: May 21, 2008 23:12

1979, the 5th of may. Largo, Maryland, Capital Center Arena. Also the whole show was professionally filmed (but I didn't see any footage of that).

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:14

THe footage is available unofficially...a 2DVD set. It's a fun watch. But I still think Ronnie should have choosen a different 1979 concert to release than this one from Largo. THey did better performances that year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-21 23:22 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:20

Thanks all for the information!

Date: May 22, 2008 01:52

And thank you boys (and girls?) for sharing this thread with me

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 22, 2008 03:52

Erik, I agree about the Largo show,although its enjoyable for being complete. Too bad the San Diego or Knebworth footage arent available in the same length OR quality. I attended the Ft. Worth show and would have loved a sb audio or pro shot video as the boys were really fired up. You can hear the energy on the aud. boot even though the quality is not as good as the Largo sb.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:25

I went to the Largo Barbarians shows. Sat in about the 25th row on the floor. The place was about half full. Keith was drunk as a rat.

Date: May 22, 2008 15:17

Interesting piece of info. The ft Worth show was close to sold out as I recall.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 22, 2008 15:45

Saw the Atlanta show (May 10?) - my first time seeing any Stones. The band was late arriving (so they said, it coulda been a dope thing). Piano Red came out and played to keep the crowd pacified. The NB were sloppy as hell but tons of fun!

The stage was white with big red areas (to look like blood, I think). Ronnie and Keith shared a "Y" shaped mike stand. Stanley Clarke was really TALL.

Lots of fun after the show too. Content not appropriate for this site!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-22 15:51 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: May 22, 2008 15:54

CD was also released from "Living Legend 1990 (LLRCD 079)" Italian Product
as
"New Barbarians" single CD "Two Stones Alone (Vol 1) and "Two Stones Alone (Vol 2)"

I have only Vol 1.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 22, 2008 18:06

Yeah, I have that one too!

And Erik, this might be the reason why Ronnie released the Largo show at all. Just putting out some famous bootlegs officially (which we know is "trendy" for some time past). I reckon, he had to use the same source as Living Legend, lacking better recordings, just like he did with the Kilburn show from '74.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-22 18:10 by Greenblues.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 22, 2008 21:47

The "Buried Alive" cd does have a remastering credit, and sounds a little better (more presence) than myt old Pork Chop of Quality boot, which having been removed fromn my collection years ago I cannot A/B with the official release. I do believe the set is worth it for overall filthy guitar sound, and very nice performances of 'Breathe On Me,' 'Apartment # 9', 'Let's Go Steady', 'Worried Life Blues', 'Am I Grooving You', 'Seven Days' and the closing 'JJ Flash' which is sourced from an inferior tape but a truly brilliant performance.

Date: May 22, 2008 23:08

Greenblues
And Erik, this might be the reason why Ronnie released the Largo show at all. Just putting out some famous bootlegs officially (which we know is "trendy" for some time past). I reckon, he had to use the same source as Living Legend, lacking better recordings, just like he did with the Kilburn show from '74.

Yes that's probably the reason, together with the possibility that Ronnie couldn't find any soundboard tapes apart from Largo...just a guess.
BTW, the Living Legend CD is just one of the many bootlegs of this show. The most famous one would be Swingin Pigs' Buired Alive

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 22, 2008 23:19

partly stemming from this discussion, I just grabbed a copy of Empress Valley's The Drug Dealer Tapes and am listening now. (I also ordered First Barbarians yesterday, to replace my .mpg copy.) If this isn't their best performance, they sure catch fire more than once! "Love in Vain" is a strange choice for the setlist though, as ron is competing with comparisons to both taylor and jagger.

Date: May 22, 2008 23:28

cc
"Love in Vain" is a strange choice for the setlist though, as ron is competing with comparisons to both taylor and jagger.

And to Rod Stewart as well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-22 23:30 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 22, 2008 23:31

The Faces' Love In Vain was imo one of the many previously unissued gems from their 2004 box.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 22, 2008 23:34

right, right... thanks guys! I have that set on my mp3 player, which has been busted for some time now. Must correct that (the lack of Faces before having the crap-player repaired).

Still not the highlight of this show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-22 23:35 by cc.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 24, 2008 21:10

keeffriffhard
Today I went for shopping and I did buy this wonderful CD.

Disc 1: sweet little rock &roller / buried alive / f.u.c her / mystifies me / infekshun / rock me baby / sure the one you need / lost & lonely / love in vain / breathe on me

Disc 2: let's go steady/ apartment #9 / HTW / worried life blues / I can feel the fire / come to realise / am I grooving you? / seven days / before they make me run / JJF

It's so much better then SAL, so much more fun. Nasty Rock & Roll!
word. also beats the piss out of winos at the palladium.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: May 25, 2008 04:46

I remember reading the review of this show in the newspaper. The writer was pretty tough on the boys. He wrote something like "...this was just one drunk holding up another drunk...". Ah, the 70's! F-it, Im drunk now myself!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 25, 2008 05:03

Elmo Lewis
Saw the Atlanta show (May 10?) - my first time seeing any Stones!
Me too Elmo. I saw them in Oakland and the two months prior I had ben laid up with a sever case of mono so this concert was my first outing in sometime up to that point. I can't begin to tell how excited I was to see Keith Richards play for the first time and when the band hit the stage and Keith ripped into "Sweet Little Rock and Roller" I was transported to heaven, I walked out of that concert feeling better than I had sense before I got sick. Rock and Roll cures all ills!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 25, 2008 05:50

Elmo Lewis
Saw the Atlanta show (May 10?) - my first time seeing any Stones. The band was late arriving (so they said, it coulda been a dope thing). Piano Red came out and played to keep the crowd pacified. The NB were sloppy as hell but tons of fun!

The stage was white with big red areas (to look like blood, I think). Ronnie and Keith shared a "Y" shaped mike stand. Stanley Clarke was really TALL.

The old Omni...what fond memories. Hi Elmo - I was there also.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: May 25, 2008 15:44

Elmo Lewis

Yeah, I was at that show too. Crowd was drunk, stoned and rowdy, was it Alex Cooley (the promoter) that kept coming out giving updates on the NBarbs and how their plane had landed, then they were on the way from Hartsfield?

A great time!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 25, 2008 19:02

Yeah, Cooley came out with updates as the crowd got antsy. Lots of fun.

BTW, Phillips is such an improvement over The Omni! More bathrooms, for one thing.

Date: May 25, 2008 20:54

A lot of people over the years have complained about the sloppiness and drunkeness of the shows but thats exactly what made it great. I mean what kind of vocals performance did they expect from Ron & Keith! Now, I think the promoters were a little misleading with their constant "special guests" radio spots. Some of my friends after the ft. Worth show griped about it but I was more than satisfied with Rons songs and the cool Keith surprises. I mean,come on! Where else were you gonna get "Lets Go Steady" and "Apt.#9"? That nearly got a standing ovation in Texas!!

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: May 25, 2008 21:29

Elmo Lewis
Yeah, Cooley came out with updates as the crowd got antsy. Lots of fun.

BTW, Phillips is such an improvement over The Omni! More bathrooms, for one thing.

Yes, the air was thick with anticipation, tension, and abundant reefer that night!

Phillips is a great place for a show, I agree.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 25, 2008 22:00

>> That nearly got a standing ovation in Texas!! <<

smile smile smile: i bet it nearly did! :E
what did it actually get - surely not a sitting ovation! a standing "far freakin out", maybe? :E

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home