Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Interview from 1982
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 7, 2008 03:47

Newsnight interview with the Rolling Stones guitarist from 1982.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Keith Interview from 1982
Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 7, 2008 04:01

nice one, thanks!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2008 04:42

ACE open-g....Long time no see.....Fanks

Very well paid hobby.....God Bless the Mounties...
...........& Ronnie..Baked Bean tin & a piece of string...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2008 04:44

nice one, havent watched this in years, have it on vhs somewhere in my vaults

Date: July 7, 2008 05:17

Oh lord... did Mickette look a poofter in them PJs!eye popping smiley

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 8, 2008 00:41

Brilliant! Keith on good form..........does he still have a flat in Paris??

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 8, 2008 00:49

Dont think so. Havent heard of him being there in a while. He used to have one at Fauborg-St Honore, near the Place Vendome. I was round there just last week, actually.

Apparently, there was one infamous occasion in the late 70s when he flew from New York to Paris. The phone rang in the Stones NYC office and a startled secretary was surprised to hear Keith's dulcet tones calling from a phone booth in the French capital.

He couldnt recall the address of his apartment and had to phone the office to find out where he lived.

A classic Spinal tap-esque moment.

I remember seeing that Newsnight interview when it was shown. I'd just got a VCR a few months earlier and drove my parents insane playing this clip so often. (How cool is the way he walks into the bar? As an impressionable 19 year old, I tried to pull that shit every time I walked into a bar for about a year afterwards. It didnt work. I still looked like a dork.) It was his first interview in Britain for many years. The newspapers made a point of expressing their horror at how old he looked for a man of 38 and saying what a lesson it was not to take drugs. He looks positively cherubic compared to what he looked like a few years later.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 01:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 8, 2008 02:07

He couldnt recall the address of his apartment and had to phone the office to find out where he lived.

A classic Spinal tap-esque moment.

Hehe - that's funny.

on the other hand it's quite understandable - when he only comes out at night and probably didn't spend much time there anyway.
to call the office was a shortcut in the end.

[maps.google.de]

heck, it reminds me of finding my way to the airport early in the morning, without sleep for 24 hours, after the Stones gig last year.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 9, 2008 16:48

I'd love to seee a video of a Keith interview from say, pre 1967 - just to see how much he had changed in the intervening years.
In 1982 he seems self assured, confident and articulate. Hardly a shy working class cockney. In fact less of a London accent the the others.
Petty the interview (presumably edited) seemed to focus on drugs more than anything else.
I think the interviewer-Robin Deneslow- interviewd John and Yoko at the height of their "Power to the people "phase, I think for "Red Mole" or some such journal.
No political questions for Keith!

Date: July 9, 2008 17:02

jlowe
Petty the interview (presumably edited) seemed to focus on drugs more than anything else.

Well, 'Newsnight' is a news magazine programme as opposed to a music show, so thats understandable.

This was maybe the most high profile interview Keith had done in over a decade, and certainly post-Toronto, so it was a subject that at the time most people would have been interested in, even if subsequent interviews on the subject have got a bit old-hat.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 9, 2008 18:02

I actually thought he did seem nervous, looking down into his drink and so on, and chuckling often but not laughing uproariously as he does now. And he must not have been as effusive as he is now, since they had to turn to ron to get another quote or two.

Date: July 9, 2008 18:13

I love the way Ronnie all but admits that HE still has a habit (which wasnt widely known at the time) only he quite unconvincingly talks about how he gets admonished by Keith "when Ive had too much ..to drink"

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: July 9, 2008 18:36

Thanks for posting that open-g, great to watch. I've seen the grandstand at Auteuil packed but never that packed!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 10, 2008 00:41

GREAT TO SEE THE FULL INTERVIEW AGAIN !
I didn't have a VCR in 1982 and remember holding a tape recorder up to the TV to record the audio !

Bits of this where on a BBC documentary called "20 years on" ,I think, broadcast about 3 weeks after this.

Gazza - yes I too walked into places with that keith swagger AND looked like a prat,I'm sure !

sc uk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home