Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Sister Morphine Hampton '81, Paris 1970 Soundboard & Jagger with Red Devils
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 21, 2008 00:23

does anybody have these new Sister Morphine releases already? are they worth checking out? are they really noticable quality upgrades or just EQ tweaks of well known sources? any info appreciated.

Re: New Sister Morphine Hampton '81, Paris 1970 Soundboard & Jagger with Red Devils
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 21, 2008 12:58

Knowing Sister Morphine it'll probably be just tweaks of the known sources. Have they ever released anything new?

Re: New Sister Morphine Hampton '81, Paris 1970 Soundboard & Jagger with Red Devils
Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: May 21, 2008 14:40

Yes, they/he were/was the first one with "Closer Than Close". But that's it.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 21, 2008 14:45

the way she held the microphone is pretty good

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2008 16:10

toomuchforme
the way she held the microphone is pretty good

That's Coast2Coast, not Sister Morphine.
C2C actually came up with some real nice upgrades, most of them later copied by VGP. All of my C2C albums are "dead" now. THey won't play.
Sister Morphine just ruin allready existing sources, turning them in to lifeless and sterile listens. I don't know why they're so popular.
The 2nd show of July 25th 1972 is one of their few/only useful releases. Dogs&Cats released the same recording later on.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: May 21, 2008 17:25

SM rehashes wellknown shit. Put in a little high, a little low and off you go!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 21, 2008 20:05

The photo of Jagger on "Microphone" is from the Vancouver show.

Thinking of SM off the top of my head, more misses come to mind than hits. Its "Live'R" redo was a disaster IMO, very strident. The Leeds redo was pointless. The Exile Outtakes grabs your ears on first impression, then I ended up turning down the treble, turning down the bass, turning down the volume, then taking out the disc. It's clean, but hard on my ears.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: May 21, 2008 20:18

I got loads of GREAT Cds from SM.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: May 21, 2008 21:02

Hi everyone!

It is strange that as soon as SM releases a new CD the same complaints again! I have most of them and I find most very enjoyable. Exile outtakeas is excellent and the Paris 70 is the best I have ever heard from that tour (Berlin on VGP is good but not as good as this). Red Devils I have in several editions including Mick Boys remaster so I won´t get that one. Why complain as long as they for the most past are real up-grades!!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 21, 2008 22:57

There was a time when the sister released new or unheard gems but I have no problem with their remasters if one does not already own them. So there is good and bad depending on how you look at it.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:01

Can you please mention the setlist for Paris '70?

Thanks.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:08

masseolle
Why complain as long as they for the most past are real up-grades!!

The problem is that the SM releases aren't real upgrades. They're like a whiskey which has been sweetened till it's a Liqueur...really nice the first second, but suddenly you can't even stand the smell of it.
A few of the SM CDRs are nice though...but not many

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-22 22:52 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:23

Allmost anything they release is totally pointless. They rehash wellknown recordings. EQ them to claim it their own,and when you hear the result you want to go back to the original boot which sounds superiour.

Sister Morphine? Avoid.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 21, 2008 23:50

Has anyone seen the Paris 1970 show torrented anywhere? I have never heard a 1970 boot that I thought was listenable (an enjoyable listen anyway). I would include Berlin as one that is rougher than I want to spend time with.

Thanks.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 22, 2008 00:17

SM is so over hyped its ridiculous

Posted by: django ()
Date: May 22, 2008 00:43

scaffer
Can you please mention the setlist for Paris '70?

Thanks.

Tracklist and cover:

[www.geocities.com]

Date: May 22, 2008 00:46

I havent heard the 70 paris rmstr but its the same recording as VGs releases.

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: May 22, 2008 03:16

Have first two titles in your thread:

SWEET VIRGINIA (aka Hampton 1981) by SM is an improvement over the Dandelion box set that I previously owned. That Dandelion set, much like the Swinging Pig set has over-recorded bass. Here, the bass seems to be reduced while the treble is nicely enhanced providing excellent stereo separation. I did find that the first three tracks on DISC 1 were slightly too bright but after that it improves. Overall, I'd give it a 9/10.

EUROPEAN TOUR - PARIS 1970 is a hard one to rate since the source material is not that great. The SM title is probably an improvement over the VGP releases but still rates about 7/10 for a soundboard recording.

A previous poster indicated that he felt SM's version of " LIVER " from 1969 was poor. Well, here I would have to concur. The sound quality is a disappointment.

It's always easy to bash a label because in some countries you're able to find alternative choices. That's not the case everywhere. I have 16 SM titles, representing most of the key concerts, and for the most part, I consider them to be superior to most other available alternatives. For example. 1995 Tokyo, 1972 U.S. Tour, 1973 Brussels Belgium, 1998 Bremen Germany, 1990 Tokyo, 1971 Leeds, 1990 Urban Jungle, 1999 Oakland, 1995 South Africa and 1976 Paris are all excellent boots by SM.

SFTD

SFTD

SFTD

Date: May 22, 2008 03:46

the best version I have of the 81 show is the Glimmer Twins release-I suspect it may have been sourced from the upgraded video source that appeared on 4 reels a while back. As I said earlier if you dont have these releases I dont think you'll be disapointed in the quality but it would be nice if the Good Sister would seek out some unreleased or rare sources.When the label first appeared in the late 90s there were many firsts(or hard to locate) releases!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 22, 2008 18:49

Thanks a lot django.

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: May 22, 2008 22:48

I would also like to hear the Paris 70 one and what about the Dirty Work outtakes, anything NEW with that one?

My favorite is the Voodoo Mass & Fetishes compilation and the remastering of the SG outtakes is also great!!!

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: June 5, 2009 04:11

Could someone post or torrent Paris (European Tour 1970) from Sister Morphine, please?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 5, 2009 04:23

Erik_Snow
masseolle
Why complain as long as they for the most past are real up-grades!!

The problem is that the SM releases aren't real upgrades. They're like a whiskey which has been sweetened till it's a Liqueur...really nice the first second, but suddenly you can't even stand the smell of it.
A few of the SM CDRs are nice though...but not many

HaHaHa
Great analogy!!!

Still laughing

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 5, 2009 04:49

cbtaco19
Has anyone seen the Paris 1970 show torrented anywhere? I have never heard a 1970 boot that I thought was listenable (an enjoyable listen anyway). I would include Berlin as one that is rougher than I want to spend time with.

Thanks.

I haven't heard the SM version, but I assume it's the same source, which is a rough mono soundboard. Listenable -- one of the best 3 or so from the tour and some find it the best. I actually prefer Berlin by a bit, and Essen, all things considered.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 5, 2009 06:01

there's is a snippet of SFTD from Paris in 9/10 soundboard quality....much better than what can be found on any Paris 1970 disc.
I believe this snippet can be found on the legendary CD release "Shot of Salvation" ??

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 5, 2009 06:41

Eleanor Rigby
there's is a snippet of SFTD from Paris in 9/10 soundboard quality....much better than what can be found on any Paris 1970 disc.
I believe this snippet can be found on the legendary CD release "Shot of Salvation" ??

I believe that's right...it's edited, but it's more than a snippet...i'm not sure about 9/10 (that's subjective), but it's a lot cleaner than any other version of that show (september 23).

Not to start a conspiracy theory, but is it Mick T's solo that's edited?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 5, 2009 09:25

i think it's during Keith's?? I'd have to check....but yes, more than a snippet...roughly 4 mins?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2009 11:20

"Sister Morphine" should have called themselves "Caveat Emptor" winking smiley

Seriously I have seen tons of torrents of VGP CC DL/RS titles but I've NEVER seen a single torrent based on a SM "title" (except their S.F.'97 aud tape)
Nobody likes to be laughed at on Dime maybe...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-05 11:26 by dcba.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: June 5, 2009 13:30

Hi everyone!

I don´t know how many times I have defended SM! I have most of their titles and most are really good! Hampton is very listenable and as many have notices better than SP version (Have it as well). I have most of DAC and VGP titles and as good as they are SM are really sometomes better. For exmple the Exile outtakes is with out doubt the best CD of these that their is! I hope that we will stop bashing SM in the future! Iy is really up the the fan to judge for him/herself!!

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: June 5, 2009 16:49

dcba
Seriously I have seen tons of torrents of VGP CC DL/RS titles but I've NEVER seen a single torrent based on a SM "title" (except their S.F.'97 aud tape)
Nobody likes to be laughed at on Dime maybe...

There are three Sister Morphine titles currently torrented on dime. Just do a search with "Sister Morphine"

Anyone up for a snail mail trade of this version of Paris 9/23/70? I'll torrent it on rocksoff afterwards and we can all compare.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home