Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Sister Morphine Hampton '81, Paris 1970 Soundboard & Jagger with Red Devils
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 5, 2009 21:50

SFTD
Have first two titles in your thread:

SWEET VIRGINIA (aka Hampton 1981) by SM is an improvement over the Dandelion box set that I previously owned. That Dandelion set, much like the Swinging Pig set has over-recorded bass. Here, the bass seems to be reduced while the treble is nicely enhanced providing excellent stereo separation. I did find that the first three tracks on DISC 1 were slightly too bright but after that it improves. Overall, I'd give it a 9/10.

If SM used the Dandelion source then they started with the wrong source. The VGP/Glimmer Twins version is muc, much better.

SM is a horrendous label by a bunch of money grabbing asholes. There's not much more you can say about them.

Mathijs

Re: New Sister Morphine Hampton '81, Paris 1970 Soundboard & Jagger with Red Devils
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 5, 2009 22:05

To each his own but as far as "purchasing" I've received as many free copies from them as I've ordered.

Date: June 5, 2009 23:18

I've never met the guy(didnt even know his name-thanks!) In 97 when the Vegas Babylon shows first emerged(VGP first then Contraband-both sucked) Wine Women And Song WAS an unreleased source and better by far. Oakland 99 and Shepards Bush were also original. I too have been disapointed the last few yrs with the lack of originality and sometimes the rmastrs hit and sometimes not. But whats this "steals from the Stones"??!!! If thats your definition what bootlegger doesnt?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-05 23:18 by scottkeef.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 6, 2009 01:19

"Oakland 99 and Shepards Bush were also original"
Alrite for Oakland but are you sure about Shepards Bush? Looks like he ripped-off th DL title...

"he's EQ'd them"
he must be 95 then and a Vet of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and both Gulf Wars cos the guy ain't got no hearing left. Boosting the treble (the SM "trademark" ) is what old people do to be able to listen to the radio...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-06 01:27 by dcba.

Date: June 6, 2009 01:22

In case you didn't know about Mr (g)Reed-er...
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-06 01:28 by dcba.

Date: June 6, 2009 01:48

dcba
"Oakland 99 and Shepards Bush were also original"
Alrite for Oakland but are you sure about Shepards Bush? Looks like he ripped-off th DL title...

I dont think so, and in John Carr's review of all three releases(VGP,Dandelion, and SM) in SFJ Vol. IV Issue 4 he didnt think so either.

Also the email link in referred to in that thread hasnt been used for communication or ordering for years that I know of. All I had to do for an email was post a request on Hotwacks and someone(who is also on this board) hooked me up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-06 01:57 by scottkeef.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 6, 2009 02:20

VGP oakland 99 is better tham SM imo, most of sm titles are other labels stuff just claimed to be upgraded and in most cases are not better or not even as good

Date: June 6, 2009 02:27

eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-06 02:48 by scottkeef.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 6, 2009 02:37

exilestones
Sister Morphine aka

Whatever your take on SM is, mentioning real names is unforgivable.

Date: June 6, 2009 02:49

I agree.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: June 6, 2009 03:33

I'm almost sorry to have resurrected this thread by asking for a post, torrent, or trade for Sister Morphine European Tour 1970.

I was already aware of the negative evaluation of many here of the label's releases. And I was pleasantly surprised several times when I compared SM releases to other versions and subsequently dumped the SM releases.

Most SM releases have been torrented eventually on Hunger City, dime, zomb, or rocksoff.

Paris 1970 has not.

There are very few good 1970 shows. I have Some Like It Hot. I have Paris Affair. I have Essen. I have Berlin. I'd like the chance to hear SM's Paris. I do not up a lot of things but have on occasion responded to such requests on this board by upping items on rocksoff. I am now making a similar request.

I do not work for SM and am not one of SM's buddies. Once, ten years ago, I moved and my package was lost and coolhand sent me a free release and a nice note. But I can still be trusted and mean well. I am also 60 years old but prefer to up the bass rather than the treble.

Would someone like to do a snail mail trade or kindly torrent it?

Thanks.

Tony

Date: June 6, 2009 04:40

Thats one I dont have,pardner or I'd send it to ya! I have the "Shake Your Hips" version. You're right-the 70 tour is so under represented in quality recordings(and thats a shame after shaking out the kinks on the 69 tour and adding new songs the Stones were smokin' on this tour!) If you run up on the SM one maybe we can snail trade it? I'll let you know if I run across it!

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: June 6, 2009 05:52

Just like anything else we all have choices when it comes to boots. I like SM and the quality of the music they bring to me. You don't have to bash the individual for attempting to improve the quality of the music. Buy it somewhere else. Then, and only then, if you don't like the boots that are available then do it yourself. Stop your bitching which a lot of individuals so well on this web page. Why is that???

Date: June 6, 2009 08:38

scottkeef
TIf you run up on the SM one maybe we can snail trade it? I'll let you know if I run across it!

Thanks Scott. It's a deal.

Date: June 6, 2009 12:38

alimente
exilestones
Sister Morphine aka

Whatever your take on SM is, mentioning real names is unforgivable.

Mr. Reeder himself never had problems with that. When SM used to have a website he was there under his own name, and if you send SM an email you directly send it to Reeder. He never tried to be anonymous.

Mathijs

Date: June 6, 2009 17:00

They still have a website that shows the avail titles but theres NO email address given and no ordering info. Guess you have to be "referred". But in all my emails and ordering with him hes never used his name. Thats been since 2007-I dont know how it used to be.

Date: June 6, 2009 17:34

Whatever - it doesnt matter if the guy tries to stay anonymous on his website or not - its enough if he is referred to as "Sister Morphine", and we all know what we are talking about. I see no other reason for mentioning his real name than liking to see him stand naked in public, call it sensationalism or what else.

Its justified when certain dealers use to rip people off, taking money and failing to deliver the goods, as a warning, but in those cases the bad people have to blame themselves.

Its not justified in cases like SM when certain people simply dont like the product. Take it or leave it. We all should be mature enough to know that mentioning real names of bootleggers could cause trouble.

Date: June 6, 2009 18:03

Robert Reeder vs RIAA. Who's gonna win?

Date: June 6, 2009 18:54

alimente

Its justified when certain dealers use to rip people off, taking money and failing to deliver the goods, as a warning, but in those cases the bad people have to blame themselves.

Its not justified in cases like SM when certain people simply dont like the product. Take it or leave it. We all should be mature enough to know that mentioning real names of bootleggers could cause trouble.

Well, I think Mr. Reeder belongs to the rip off dealer section. He takes a source, boosts the highs and lows and masters it to death with non-professional audio program and then charges $25 for a CDR.

That's a rip off to me.

Mathijs

Date: June 6, 2009 19:35

I don't wanna pay $25 either. No one will have to if I can find a trade or a torrent. Still looking for a trade or a torrent.

Time for some cool zydeco?

Date: June 6, 2009 19:39

Mathijs
alimente

Well, I think Mr. Reeder belongs to the rip off dealer section. He takes a source, boosts the highs and lows and masters it to death with non-professional audio program and then charges $25 for a CDR.

That's a rip off to me.

Mathijs

OK, so you wish him trouble?

Date: June 8, 2009 19:36

Just in case anybody is interested:

On Hungercity, theres currently a quite fast seed of "Twenty Flight Rock", VGPs version of Hampton 1981 - which is absolutely perfect, I simply cannot imagine how SM can do it better. Grab it while you can, this is a classic and not to be missed!

Date: June 9, 2009 00:45

Thx Alimente!

Date: June 9, 2009 00:46

"Well, I think Mr. Reeder belongs to the rip off dealer section. He takes a source, boosts the highs and lows and masters it to death with non-professional audio program and then charges $25 for a CDR.

That's a rip off to me."
Mathjis is once again our oracle smileys with beer

Date: June 9, 2009 00:50

Give it a rest!

Date: June 9, 2009 11:38

"I have Berlin. I'd like the chance to hear SM's Paris"
you can do a SM release at home : put the CD or Cd-r in your player and boost the trebles with the controls on your amp. Voila and 25 bucks saved in those tough times winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-09 11:38 by dcba.

Date: June 9, 2009 17:04

Thanks dcba, you're a pal.

Date: June 9, 2009 21:17

alimente

OK, so you wish him trouble?

How did you conclude that? The guy's name is known widely on the internet for years, what would I add?

Mathijs

Date: June 9, 2009 22:22

First time I ever heard it mentioned(but thats just me)

Date: June 10, 2009 02:07

scottkeef
First time I ever heard it mentioned(but thats just me)

No, thats not just you. Count me in.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home