Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Live: keyboards instead of guitarriffs??? Is it really true?
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:07

Well, I didn't attend any Stones show since 1995, because I don't give a lot about their music ever since 1982/83....so I've missed a few things lately, but

is it really true that "the nowadays Stones" do sometimes use keyboard-parts instead of their'trademark'guitarriffs, during live-performances? Is it really true that Chuck L. plays 'the Keef part' during some songs? (I always thought he 'only' had to replace Stu, for playing some nice boogie/woogie).

BTW, this has nothing to do with 'bashing' or 'complaining'....only I'm very amazed...

Anyway, I'll wish the Stones will rock on and use 2008/2009 to reinvent themselves (like 197/1978).

Re: Stones Live: keyboards instead of guitarriffs??? Is it really true?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:11

no, it's not true. Chuck plays a lot in Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), but there's nothing strange about it.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:12

Ok thanks

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:26

There are more prominent keyboard parts these days...
But it's largely due to their more closely following the original arrangeemnts for some songs. Where piano or Keyboard featured prominently or played the main riff on the record...it now usually does live too.
In previous, more stipped down, "eras" of live performance the guitars often played some of Keyboard lines. Now they don't.
I must admit that I personally prefer the guitar driven versions of stuff like LSTNG and SFTD ..but that's just a matter of taste.

Posted by: Boarder ()
Date: May 12, 2008 22:40

It actually IS true... At least partly. If you listen carefully to some of the warhorses e.g. on Four Flicks (and I think also on previous records like the Babylon DVD) you can hear that Chuck is e.g. playing the JJF riff where you actually would expect the guitars... Also if you listen to boots of the Steel Wheels Tour (at least the early ones like Even Better than the Real Rebirth) the keyboards quite often play the 'classical' riffs. I would have to check again to give you the examples on Four Flicks, but I remember that I was disappointed when I discovered it.

The good news is that this has changed again lately, on the BB tour it was most of the time the way it should be, i.e. Chuck in the background and only supporting and the guituars very upfront, playing the riffs. Just check the Shine a Light Soundtrack...

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 13, 2008 00:44

Only time I have heard Chuck truly REPLACE a guitar part w/piano is the opening to 'Sweet Virginia' from the Licks tour. The guitar into is gone - why, I do not know, as it is one of the easier intros to play. One of 3 things I guess: arthritis in the guitar players' hands, pure laziness, or somebody (Mick) just wanting to 'mix it up'.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:11

Well I think we should becareful with the semantics here. To say that the keyboards have replaced the main riff in songs like JJF is a little misleading. Chuck is free to play what he wants...and if that happens to be the riff...that's fine. The thing is...we aren't supposed to hear him that clearly. Why? Because there should be a f'ing loud telecaster playing over it. Some songs lend to the keyboards being able to play the riff...JFF and Start Me Up for example. Brown Sugar...not really...it's a pure guitar riff. As is "Tumblin Dice."

To say that Chuck plays a riff should hardly be taken seriously. A keyboard cannot match or mimick the sound of an electric guitar. So, let's be clear that no one is saying that the keyboards have been "acting" as guitars to fool the audience.

If you can hear Chuck play during JJF...don't blame Chuck...it's Keith who should be scolded.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:40

bitch is the first song that comes to mind about this,the song is a joke now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-13 02:03 by keef_nerd.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 13, 2008 02:09

The guitar intro on "Under My Thumb" is now mostly keyboard, right?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 13, 2008 02:12

Blondie plays guitar alot throughout the show. I was actually amazed at how many songs he plays on. I think the first three or four songs of the show (Vancouver) he was playing sitting down behind Chuck hidden from most of the crowd.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:16

DGA35
Blondie plays guitar alot throughout the show. I was actually amazed at how many songs he plays on. I think the first three or four songs of the show (Vancouver) he was playing sitting down behind Chuck hidden from most of the crowd.

not behind the curtain per chance???????????????????????

Date: May 13, 2008 09:40

Lukester
The guitar intro on "Under My Thumb" is now mostly keyboard, right?

Yeah but that's good example of what I mentioned earlier. Previous live versions have guitar playing what was originally played on the marimbas...which are much more akin to a keyboard.

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: May 13, 2008 09:46

miss you is a clear chuck song now as is so many others... yes, it is true.. chuck has taken over the band except ABB tour was better, there was less chuck... but still, too much chuck... he is not a good fit for the stones.... he still plays the main part of so many songs - miss you is a classic example... the opening riff is now him and not keith.

Date: May 13, 2008 09:50

That's because these days Keith is usually still changing his shirt when they start it ;^)

Posted by: Boarder ()
Date: May 13, 2008 10:05

Justin
Well I think we should becareful with the semantics here. To say that the keyboards have replaced the main riff in songs like JJF is a little misleading. Chuck is free to play what he wants...and if that happens to be the riff...that's fine. The thing is...we aren't supposed to hear him that clearly. Why? Because there should be a f'ing loud telecaster playing over it. Some songs lend to the keyboards being able to play the riff...JFF and Start Me Up for example. Brown Sugar...not really...it's a pure guitar riff. As is "Tumblin Dice."

To say that Chuck plays a riff should hardly be taken seriously. A keyboard cannot match or mimick the sound of an electric guitar. So, let's be clear that no one is saying that the keyboards have been "acting" as guitars to fool the audience.

If you can hear Chuck play during JJF...don't blame Chuck...it's Keith who should be scolded.

I didn't blame Chuck at all... And I was not referring to the 'obvious' ones like Sweeet Virginia of Under my Thumb, but rather to 'classical' riffs... Anyway, I have no access to my CDs/DVDs right now, but I will check as soon as I can and tell you what songs/parts I am referring to.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: May 13, 2008 18:44

If Chuck has to play so much I'd rather he'd play the Piano than keyboards. Sounds much richer than the keyboards that ruined songs like "Under My Thumb" on the A Bigger Bang tour.

Date: May 13, 2008 18:48

Chuck plays the riff to support the guitars, not to replace. The UMT-riff is originally with marimbas, and they have chosen to do a version more true to the original.

Sometimes I hear Chuck playing the SMU-riff, but not to replace Keith's riffing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home