Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

steel wheels stage in atlantic city
Posted by: glimmertwin81 ()
Date: May 12, 2008 03:56

we all know the show from dvds but I always asked myself
how did they get this huge stage into the convention center of atlantic city

why didnt they bring the abb outdoor stage to atlantic city too

Re: steel wheels stage in atlantic city
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 12, 2008 04:59

I was there for the first(rehearsal show), the night before the broadcast in December 1989.. The stage almost hit the ceiling and was slightly shorter left to right. It looked fine, but I thought the sound was very muffled in that place, same as the last show there in November 06.
Despite what others have speculated, the stage was in the usual place on the long end, not the side.
Johm Lee Hooker was drunk and that Boogie song he did was embarrassing for him and the stones.
But as usual it was a great show.

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: May 12, 2008 07:16

I went to all 3 shows in '89. In 1989, AC Convention Hall was probably the only east coast arena the could accomodate the size of the Steel Wheels stage and have enough open dates so the Stones could set up the pay-per-view broadcast. The Trump organization was negotiating with the Stones for Atlantic City shows when the Trump Executives perished in a plane crash. After the crash, they paid the Stones very well to come to AC. Trump got pissed at the Stones when they would not hold up doing a press conference and wait for Donald who was running late. Convention Hall was a "dump"--rarely used and was badly in need of renovations and the sound was terrible. By the time 2006 rolled around, they did the necessary renovations and made it a pretty nice place to see a show. Check out the website for venue: [www.boardwalkhall.com]

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 12, 2008 10:42

Interesting informations guys.
JLH drunk ? (I never noticed) but boogie chillen sounds great, Thanks to Clapton and the metronom Watts. A true moment with legends on stage.

The venue seems to have a lot of echo and is not made for music events a bit like the Asterdam arena.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 12, 2008 10:58

Nowt wrong with this??

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 12, 2008 11:29

I love that version of Boogie Chillen. And the pre-gig radio interview with Keith is also great.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 12, 2008 13:39

boogie chillin is a highlight !

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:14

The pay per view was night 2 of 3, and Boogie was pulled off ok. Check the first show I believe December17th for the Boogie debacle.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:54

If John Lee Hooker is drunk there I'm gonna get drunk next show I have to play. He absolutely kicks ass!! I like his solo's better then Clapton's.

Posted by: Tully ()
Date: May 12, 2008 15:58

The guy was talking about the show on the 17th, not the PPV from the 19th. Everything was fine on the PPV show. The show on the 17th Boogie was cut short and John Lee was led off the stage...

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 12, 2008 16:16

I think the stage was also shrunk for Alpine Valley '89 (amphitheater)...not sure.

I watched (& VHS recorded) the AC Show on "pay-per-view".
Remember when the satellite was lost at the end of the show? During JJFlash I think.

Was this ever officially released on dvd in any country?
If not...what's the best quality bootleg dvd of the '89 AC show?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2008 18:33

Ronnie's solo for Start Me Up from the PPV was outstanding.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 12, 2008 19:04

sweet neo con
I think the stage was also shrunk for Alpine Valley '89 (amphitheater)...not sure.

It absolutly was a smaller version of the stage. I saw Alpne Valley and the show two weeks later at Busch Stadium and was floored at how huge that stage really was.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 12, 2008 19:06

[/quote]

It absolutly was a smaller version of the stage. I saw Alpne Valley and the show two weeks later at Busch Stadium and was floored at how huge that stage really was.[/quote]

thanks R...i was also at the Alpine Valley shows....but did not
attend any others. was the AC configuration the same as alpine?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 12, 2008 19:15

sweet neo con

It absolutly was a smaller version of the stage. I saw Alpne Valley and the show two weeks later at Busch Stadium and was floored at how huge that stage really was.[/quote]

thanks R...i was also at the Alpine Valley shows....but did not
attend any others. was the AC configuration the same as alpine?[/quote]

As I recall AC was the Steel Wheels stage in miniature while Alpine Valley was spread out and significantly reconfigured.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 12, 2008 23:10

I did not know JLH played dec 17 too.

I always wondered if Mick did not regret not to have played with JLH. Maybe they could have played 2 songs and on the second one Mick would have pick up the harmonica ..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-12 23:23 by toomuchforme.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home