Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is It Me Or Are The Stones Seen As Uncool By Most People Nowadays?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 12, 2008 21:05

The Rolling Stones tour very often, they do films, they are in the media all the time. Being "overexposed" probably takes away a little bit of the "cool" aspect. When they came back in 1989, they were really cool and that was already 17 years after their coolest period (1972). But who cares if the average joe find them not cool. For me, a fanatic, they will always be the coolest rock and roll band in the world.
Mops

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 12, 2008 21:49

Justin
I'm sure that the young crowd was excited to see the Stones at the Isle of Wight Festival because younger fans are for the most part shut out of Stones concerts on tours because of the incredible prices. How can people ages 14-18 afford $450 floor seats by themselves? They can't really go with friends and have a good time when the price for tickets are that high.

I don't quite get where this over pricing argument comes from with the Stones - certainly in Europe. Sure I paid £200 for a floor seat in the first 10 rows at O2 last August, and I accept that youngsters couldn't afford that. But I also paid £70 for a side view second row first tier on the last night of the tour literally feet away from the band and a mere 90 Euros in Paris for similar. There were cheaper seats at both venues. That compares favourably with pricing for current artists (as well, incidentally, as most sporting events) - even a cinema ticket costs £10 in central London and believe me kids go several times a week.

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: May 12, 2008 23:00

turd
I remember in the mid 80's being a 'closet' Stones fan - people thought it was laughable to really like the Stones, particularly young kids (as in teenagers, early twenties) that was most uncool.
Think today more young folks really like them - it's the old farts who bash them now.

IT was sooo uncool to be a stones fan in the 80s, I used to keep quiet about them. now they are way cooler to like!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:23

theyre not cool, theyre ICE COLD

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 13, 2008 02:58

Lady Jayne
Gazza
The main thing that stops the Stones being seen as 'cool' by people under 25 is that their concerts are financially inacessible. Its significant that when the Stones played the Isle of Wight festival last year - which attracts a primarily younger audience to what they usually do - they went down a storm with an audience which, for the most part, was seeing them for the first time.

They received an outstanding reception at Wight (and gave an outstanding performance, IMO) but they were hugely anticipated by the younger than usual crowd. By that I mean there was no question who everybody was waiting to see which leads me to think their music is way more embedded in younger culture than we give credit.

Yep..but

a) many of that crowd would never have seen them before and
b) many of the same crowd would have been at the festival even if the Stones had not been

There was still a huge surprise/novelty factor in seeing them

Unless I'm mistaken, werent the Stones added to the bill AFTER the tickets went on sale?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 13, 2008 03:08

Their coolest period since 1981 to date was on 1989: the comeback was huge, the tour was huge, the album sold well, 3 hit singles, young people everywere...

I think the music changed A LOT during the early 90's and when they were back again for VL the things were a lot different.

Date: May 13, 2008 03:12

Lady Jayne
Justin
I'm sure that the young crowd was excited to see the Stones at the Isle of Wight Festival because younger fans are for the most part shut out of Stones concerts on tours because of the incredible prices. How can people ages 14-18 afford $450 floor seats by themselves? They can't really go with friends and have a good time when the price for tickets are that high.

I don't quite get where this over pricing argument comes from with the Stones - certainly in Europe. Sure I paid £200 for a floor seat in the first 10 rows at O2 last August, and I accept that youngsters couldn't afford that. But I also paid £70 for a side view second row first tier on the last night of the tour literally feet away from the band and a mere 90 Euros in Paris for similar. There were cheaper seats at both venues. That compares favourably with pricing for current artists (as well, incidentally, as most sporting events) - even a cinema ticket costs £10 in central London and believe me kids go several times a week.

You 'dont get' where its coming from - and then say you paid £200 for a floor seat? Its not just most 'youngsters' who couldnt afford that.

There were not cheaper seats at the 02 as I recall. The cheapest seats were £70.

Most of the seats were £150, and the front few rows (which at other venues had seats kept aside at cheaper prices for presales/fan clubs etc as was the case in 2006) were reserved for brokers and Fan Asylum style packages. Only when those went unsold were some of them released to the public (but still at a higher price than the "£70/£150" 'official' price range)

£70 for a nosebleed (and thats what most of them were) only really compares with similar prices for the best tickets for most other established acts in the UK. Sorry, but the average ticket price for a Stones gig in the UK - and especially London - is WAY above that of pretty much everyone else...maybe Madonna is something similar, but I dont think so. As far as I recall, the average ticket price for the 02 shows was in the region of £115-120 (and that doesnt take into account the hundreds that were siphoned off for brokers etc)

Different pricing structure on the continent than the UK but even at that there was a considerably large increase from the shows in the same countries in 2006 - plus in places like the UK and Germany the Stones insist on the venues being all seated (when theres no legal requirement for them to be) to take advantage of an older (and therefore more affluent) potential audience. A similar concept to what theyve been doing in the US since 1999 (and occasionally in 1998).

The UK shows have followed the US lead since 2003, and some continental countries have been given the same treatment in 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-13 03:14 by Gazza.

Date: May 13, 2008 04:16

Gazza
Lady Jayne
You 'dont get' where its coming from - and then say you paid £200 for a floor seat? Its not just most 'youngsters' who couldnt afford that.

There were not cheaper seats at the 02 as I recall. The cheapest seats were £70.

Most of the seats were £150, and the front few rows (which at other venues had seats kept aside at cheaper prices for presales/fan clubs etc as was the case in 2006) were reserved for brokers and Fan Asylum style packages. Only when those went unsold were some of them released to the public (but still at a higher price than the "£70/£150" 'official' price range)

£70 for a nosebleed (and thats what most of them were) only really compares with similar prices for the best tickets for most other established acts in the UK. Sorry, but the average ticket price for a Stones gig in the UK - and especially London - is WAY above that of pretty much everyone else...maybe Madonna is something similar, but I dont think so. As far as I recall, the average ticket price for the 02 shows was in the region of £115-120 (and that doesnt take into account the hundreds that were siphoned off for brokers etc)

Different pricing structure on the continent than the UK but even at that there was a considerably large increase from the shows in the same countries in 2006 - plus in places like the UK and Germany the Stones insist on the venues being all seated (when theres no legal requirement for them to be) to take advantage of an older (and therefore more affluent) potential audience. A similar concept to what theyve been doing in the US since 1999 (and occasionally in 1998).

The UK shows have followed the US lead since 2003, and some continental countries have been given the same treatment in 2007.

Well, I'll have to defer to your greater concert going experience on pricing. Having just had to stump up £80 for the god daughter to see Girl's Aloud, I still regard the Stones as a good deal. But you can't get away with blaming them for all seater arrangements in in door UK arenas. It most certainly is the law and not the Stones that insists on all seats at the O2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-13 10:45 by Lady Jayne.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:42

Gazza -- what does this mean:

they went down a storm

just that they played a great show? And were u there?

p

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 13, 2008 08:07

..... its not just you 'memo from tina ...........

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 13, 2008 11:55

What does cool mean to you? What is cool anymore?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 13, 2008 12:07

I'm sure that here in Budapest The Rolling Stones collected new fans on their last (2007) gig.There were many young people and they loved them. The gig was a huge success IMO, and I think people (young and older) thought that it's cool to attend a Rolling Stones gig.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 13, 2008 12:22

Lady
But you can't get away with blaming them for all seater arrangements in in door UK arenas. It most certainly is the law and not the Stones that insists on all seats at the O2.

incorect.
there is no 'all seater' law at The o2.
the Stones insist on all-seater UK concerts, purely for greed.

Should they ever tour again , expect to be subjected to Ticketmaster auctions.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 13, 2008 12:23

As a side issue, what has happened to concert ticket prices in recent years? They used to be really low...now they're sky high, whether it's the Stones or any major artist/band.

I paid approx £20 to £30 to see the Stones in Wembley Stadium in London in both 1990 and 1999. The tickets were for the standing / unreserved pitch area for both. I was right at the front by the main (only) stage in 1990, and right next to the B-stage in 1999 - definitely value for money.

Is it just that venues and concert organisers think they can now charge what they like for tickets all of a sudden? Because they know fans will pay what they're forced to?

Seems like a price-fixing cartel if you ask me... (Trading Standards anyone?)

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 13, 2008 12:32

Most people don't have a clue about what cool really is. I fortunately do and I can safely say the Stones are ULTRA COOL!

Date: May 13, 2008 12:36

Adrian-L
Lady
But you can't get away with blaming them for all seater arrangements in in door UK arenas. It most certainly is the law and not the Stones that insists on all seats at the O2.

incorect.
there is no 'all seater' law at The o2.
the Stones insist on all-seater UK concerts, purely for greed.

Should they ever tour again , expect to be subjected to Ticketmaster auctions.

Well, what could I know - I'm only a lawyer! Let me know if you are actually interested in the truth and I'll list the legislation and regulations for you!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 13, 2008 12:41

UK ticket prices for Madonna's Confessions tour in 2006 were £80 to £160. (Though the staging of it was undoubtedly very expensive and it played only arena's so the income per show wasn't averaging anywhere near a Stones stadium show.) Madonna has now announced an all stadium series of dates in Europe this summer. Tickets aren't on public sale until this Friday but "Hot Tickets" are already available at £250, or £470 including a party. She is definitely going for the big buck more than ever and I think she's learnt from the Stones. Her own audience these days is not so much younger.

Btw, Liza Minelli is playing Moscow this month for 90,000 roubles which is nearly £1,900.

Date: May 13, 2008 12:41

So are you telling me, that the 'stalls standing' shows i've
attended, at the O2, were illegal?

Date: May 13, 2008 14:20

Lady Jayne

It most certainly is NOT the law. Not at the 02, not at Twickenham. not at Wembley arena, not at MEN arena, not at Hampden Park, not at the Millenium Stadium and not at Don Valley Stadium

All UK venues which have staged all-seated Stones shows since 2003 and which have staged shows by other artists in that time which have allowed standing.

They had standing on the floor at the SECC in Glasgow in 2003 and that's the only arena or stadium shows theyve put on in the UK in the last tours which werent all seated.

The decision is theirs, and theirs alone. Likewise when they decided to make the German shows in 2007 all seated when they didnt so in 2006.

Lady Jayne
Well, what could I know - I'm only a lawyer! Let me know if you are actually interested in the truth and I'll list the legislation and regulations for you!

Go right ahead, and I'll list several acts who have played at all of the venues listed above and whose shows WEREN'T all seated. Like many others here, I've been at some of the shows in question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-13 14:23 by Gazza.

Date: May 13, 2008 14:33

Adrian-L

I just heard that theres a warrant out for 36,000 Led Zeppelin and Springsteen fans for being part of an "illegal assembly" in December 2007!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 13, 2008 14:54

I think opinions on this topic are governed by the individual, not necessarily the age of that person. My Mom loves the Stones, and as someone said, a young person " accidentally discovering " the Stones at the Isle of Wight could become a new fan at 12. It's way too broad a statement to even begin to address. Billions of people on the planet, billions of opinions and reasons for loving and identifying with a certain kind of music. Fashon changes every year, the Stones have for the most part become the exception and have remained fashionable for 45 years!! Not that's COOL!

Date: May 13, 2008 15:32

Gazza
Adrian-L

I just heard that theres a warrant out for 36,000 Led Zeppelin and Springsteen fans for being part of an "illegal assembly" in December 2007!

NME Awards shows, feat. Kaiser Chiefs/Bloc Party....standing tickets for cancelled White Stripes show.....i'm bang to rights.

and i've had standing tickets 5-6 times at the Indigo2....
so throw away the keys.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 13, 2008 15:35

rebelrebel

Btw, Liza Minelli is playing Moscow this month for 90,000 roubles which is nearly £1,900.

I think Liza Minelli is not seen very cool either... But perhaps that indicates the company Stones is soon to be seen. Keith "Frankie Boy" Richards and his treatment of "LittleT&A" in SAL record is kicking the door to the estrades open!

Anyway, the decision to get the floors all seated made me to vote with my feet. No way I 'm gonna dig The Stones sitting on my butt! At least if is not a hot Chicago club, tables full of drinks, or something...

I think the all seated stadiums even look stupid. So unnatural or artefactual. It is even more odd when there is one figure jumping, running, and all the rest just sitting there, no moving, and just watching the figure - then giving few hand claps when the number is over. It is like being a circus or in a cinema. Where there is the connection between the performer and the audience? I want to sweat and jump, be involved, too - not just Jagger, the ringmaster! Audience is a part of good rock and roll show, but seemingly the Stones have started to think their potential customers similar to ones attending to Lisa Minelli shows. But just watch those clips of Isle of Weight festival - that is rock and roll, and all the elements - the band and the audience - are going strong and are involved in the storm!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-13 15:40 by Doxa.

Date: May 13, 2008 15:39

Any 'rock n roll' act who wants to cater to the sort of fanbase that Minelli, Streisand et al aim to attract deserves all the brickbats they get as a result.

£1,900 in a country where about 1% of the population have about 98% of the wealth to see that clapped out old fag-hag....

Date: May 13, 2008 15:48

Gazza
Lady Jayne

It most certainly is NOT the law. Not at the 02, not at Twickenham. not at Wembley arena, not at MEN arena, not at Hampden Park, not at the Millenium Stadium and not at Don Valley Stadium

All UK venues which have staged all-seated Stones shows since 2003 and which have staged shows by other artists in that time which have allowed standing.

They had standing on the floor at the SECC in Glasgow in 2003 and that's the only arena or stadium shows theyve put on in the UK in the last tours which werent all seated.

The decision is theirs, and theirs alone. Likewise when they decided to make the German shows in 2007 all seated when they didnt so in 2006.

Lady Jayne

Go right ahead, and I'll list several acts who have played at all of the venues listed above and whose shows WEREN'T all seated. Like many others here, I've been at some of the shows in question.

Seating/standing arrangements in public places of entertainment are, in part governed by local government regulations. They differ from local authority to local authority, and usually according to size of venue and capacity. I'm sure you have stood at Twickenham (I have), Hampden Park etc - they are outdoor stadia and so you are not comparing like with like. Similarly talking about shows in 2003/4 isn't anything to do with O2 last summer, which was the original comment I queried. I note that Adrian says he stood at O2 but then talks about Indigo - a much smaller venue. I can only comment on what could and could not have been licenced in O2's main arena last year at full or near full capacity and can do so for professional reasons. You may have inside knowledge as to the Stones personal negotiations - I certainly do not, but whatever they did or didn't want I can say that they could not have performed to O2's main arena at capacity with standing of more than a handful licenced.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 13, 2008 15:49

Gazza
Any 'rock n roll' act who wants to cater to the sort of fanbase that Minelli, Streisand et al aim to attract deserves all the brickbats they get as a result.

£1,900 in a country where about 1% of the population have about 98% of the wealth to see that clapped out old fag-hag....

But there are big bucks involved in that kind of show entertainment business. Celine Dion announced a gig few days ago here in Finland, and the venue was sold out in few hours - the prices being about three times bigger than to Bob Dylan in the same venue! (And, of course, the Dylan show is not even sold out yet.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-13 15:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 13, 2008 15:56

It always makes me laugh: it's not weird for the Stones to ask high ticket prices, MADONNA does it too. It's like saying: no wonder Mick Jaggers smells like shit, my toilet does too.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 13, 2008 16:26

"see that clapped out old fag-hag"
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Superb stuff..... your on a roll today.....

Date: May 13, 2008 16:45

Lady Jayne
Seating/standing arrangements in public places of entertainment are, in part governed by local government regulations. They differ from local authority to local authority, and usually according to size of venue and capacity. I'm sure you have stood at Twickenham (I have), Hampden Park etc - they are outdoor stadia and so you are not comparing like with like. Similarly talking about shows in 2003/4 isn't anything to do with O2 last summer, which was the original comment I queried. I note that Adrian says he stood at O2 but then talks about Indigo - a much smaller venue. I can only comment on what could and could not have been licenced in O2's main arena last year at full or near full capacity and can do so for professional reasons. You may have inside knowledge as to the Stones personal negotiations - I certainly do not, but whatever they did or didn't want I can say that they could not have performed to O2's main arena at capacity with standing of more than a handful licenced.

a quick look at the o2 Arena (not Indigo2) tells me standing tickets are currently available, for these shows, amongst others:-

Nickleback
Madness
Queen Feat. Paul Rodgers
Bryan Adams
Avril Lavigne

[www.ticketmaster.co.uk]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 13, 2008 16:47

Uncool is the new cool, no?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home