Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Youtube: Mick singing in 1968 vs 2007
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 3, 2008 15:23

Re: Youtube: Mick singing in 1968 vs 2007
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 3, 2008 17:43

Maybe it's ended for you, but it hasn't for me and many others.

Thanks for reminding me how AMAZING this man is. Forty years later and he still sounds great and imo, is sexy as ever.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 3, 2008 17:57

[quote="Don't be fooled by the abs that I got][/quote]

so what kind of abs do you have?

ABS
ABS is a three-letter acronym that may refer to:

* Able Seaman (rank) or Able Seaman (occupation)
* Absolutive case
* Abu Simbel Airport (IATA airport code: ABS), in Abu Simbel, Egypt
* Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, a plastic
* Acute Bacterial Sinusitis, sinus inflammation resulting from bacterial infection.
* Airport Base Station, Apple WLAN solution
* Akita Broadcasting System, a broadcasting station in Akita Prefecture, Japan
* ABS-CBN, a broadcasting corporation in the Philippines
* Albino Blacksheep, a website
* Alternative Business Structure a putative UK legal entity
* American Bible Society
* American Bouldering Series, the national governing body of competitive bouldering in the United States.
* American Boy Scouts, an early Scouting organization
* American Bureau of Shipping
* Amniotic band syndrome
* Anchor Bible Series
* Animal Behavior Society
* Anti-lock braking system (translated from German, Antiblockiersystem)
* Arch Build System, an Arch Linux tool
* Archbold Biological Station, a research station in Florida, USA
* Asset-backed security, a financial term
* Association of Broadcasting Staff
* ABS, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Adelaide TV station
* Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australia's official statistical organisation
* Automatic Brightness Stabilizer / Automatic Brightness Stabilization controller, adjusts the x-ray generator to maintain a preset image brightness level during fluoroscopy
* Adult Book Store
* Abingdon boys school, a Japanese Rock band.
* Automatic Block Signal, a railroad signal system in the United States

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 3, 2008 19:26

Abyssinnian muscles?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 3, 2008 21:01

I used to be a professional footballer. I'm not now. I'm 44 years old. Time Waits For No One.
Mick's still doing a great job, just like I'm doing a great job in our Sunday 7-a-side league.
Ageism. It's a form of discrimination...

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: May 3, 2008 22:09

To me, Mick is a better singer now than ever before. Maybe he can't reach the highs of the '60s (JJF-Live) but he's got more soul and depth now I'd say.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 3, 2008 22:15

Very good singin' durin Licks.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:04

@LA
The abs really won't fool me, and I'm with you working for the six-pack, but, come on, Mick is forty years on even more amazing than he was before I was born.
Just imagine you in forty years, if it were only because imagining me in forty years amounts to morbid fascination. You if forty years, will people still be fooled by the abs that you got?
I don't think so. And I think grand ole Mick still has the vocal abs going for him.
It's amazing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:04

Richard from Canada
To me, Mick is a better singer now than ever before. Maybe he can't reach the highs of the '60s (JJF-Live) but he's got more soul and depth now I'd say.

With respect, but how can you find 'soul' and 'depth' of that '06 version of "Jumping Jack Flash"? He barely mimics singing - and seemingly carefully avoids using his voice too loud (a rock singer???). All I can see is an old actor doing minimal effort to get his standard number through - the number he has lost any spiritual connection some 30 years ago. This is my honest impression.

- Doxa

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:31

Doxa
All I can see is an old actor doing minimal effort to get his standard number through - the number he has lost any spiritual connection some 30 years ago. This is my honest impression.

Well, there's bound to be some changes in Jaggers way of singing Jumpin Jack Flash, after performing it in concert 1000 times. How can one expect it to be just as fiery as in December 1968? Just to compare the 2 versions - and then try to "prove a point" that Jagger has lost it is....well it's really dumb, isn't it; nomatter on which side you're on concerning the "value of the Rolling Stones anno 2008" debate - as it's so freaking obvious that Jagger views JJF as a "part of the showcase" 40 years later - while it was something really fresh in 1968.
This leads us to...."changing the setlist and backup musicians"....and yes, that's overdue, and it would belong under a different topic.
I think the youtubevideo/discussion here is both selfexplanatory, silly and insulting. Would this clip be made by LA Forum himself? WOuldn't suprise me...congratulations on making your first upload!
BTW, the first thing that striked me in this clip was...."can't somebody shut that choir off, so Jagger would have to concentrate on his vocals". It did NOT strike me that Jagger made a poor delivery though....just that he would have done better, if he didn't have the safety net there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 03:10 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:47

I didn't think this clip was very good.

It would have been more striking had it gone from close-up of Mick in '68 to a similar CU in '06, continuing the same line of the song. (Funny, one of the few moments in SAL where there wasn't a close up happening.

Also, the SAL version is just fine. They set this up like it's going to be some big disaster compared to '68. It really wasn't.

Mick was what, 63, when that was shot? The guy is a walking miracle! No, make that a JUMPING miracle!

When I went to my 30th high school reunion, there were a couple of guys there--not quite 50--who were already walking with canes! Mick isn't OLD the way most people are. And he isn't just a lucky guy--he's a solid professional who takes care of himself (and his voice) and that's why he's lasted so long.

OK, so he's forty years older now...so what? His live performances are still sharper than the point that Captain Obvious with editing software was making with this clip.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 4, 2008 02:52

Quite frankly, as hurried as it is in SAL - which was 2006, not 2008 by the way, it's still better than the live albums Love You Live and Flashpoint. Is it better than Ya-Ya's? I dunno. I like the actual live version in Gimme Shelter personally.

Had they done Monkey Man back then you think they would have done it was well as they did during Voodoo and even better yet! for Licks?

HELL NO.

For me, they've never done Shattered any better before or since Voodoo.

So I don't think what year it is really has to do with anything - it's just how are they playing it and how fast or slow. That determines how Mick either sings it, draws it out because it's slow (1968) or slams it because they're fast (2006).

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 4, 2008 03:07

In a lot of ways, JJF is an over the top song. Any vocal delivery of it is not going to be really serious sounding.

I understand what this guy is trying to do but IMO it didn't work. He didn't prove anything. and as skip pointed out, SAL was in 2006, not 2008. the maker of this video really wanted to push for a forty year difference I guess. Close but no cigar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-05 04:34 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: May 4, 2008 04:22

Hey he is still amazing,second to none, but i think in 98 he was better. 30 years ago all he did was scream, and try and blow a fuse,which he did sometimes he blew that fuse and f up his voice just like Hampton in Under My Thumb at the end of the song. He's way more in control today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 04:28 by stonesfrk.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 4, 2008 10:03

Completely empty souless, lifeless performance (that's including his forced, detached movements) - just another gig, another fat packet. In 68 he was in a different league completely. It angers me when Stones fans are so obviously biased, and in being so are denying the true greatness of the Stones in their prime when they were untouchable. I've seen a Stones tribute band pull off a better version of Jumping Jack Flash than the Stones more recent effort (or lack of it).

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: May 4, 2008 10:29

these are two completely different versions of the song, so the singing has to be different for that reason alone. you can not compare voices like that.

what you hear is a different time and mood, also different recording gear and style.
the aging in the voice makes only a little difference if you ask me.

i am sure he could sing close to the 1968 version if he and the band were in the mood to play like that.and vice versa.in 1968 he could have sounded like in 2006.
it´s more the style and mood and what sound you want to make with your voice.
of course if you are really into doing the performance or if it´s just an act makes a huge difference. you can not only see but also hear that.
why is he trying to go into a character like hell when doing vocals in recording studios, because you an hear that difference on the record.

i agree he is a little to concentrated on making a show. the music hast lost some meaning in recent performances.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: May 4, 2008 10:34

Anyone who says Mick is a better singer now than he was back then is flat-out lying to themselves and cannot put their loyalty to the Stones aside in order to see the truth. Ever since Live Licks, Mick has been singing every song as if he was a non-English speaker who just learned the words phonetically. He's done this before in the 70's, but lately it's been almost epidemic. He really does not sound like a human being at all when he sings anymore. And the worst part is, he is capable of singing well when he wants to. He just needs to stop sticking his lips out and concentrate on singing well. And he needs to not let the back up singers sing the "allllriiiight" part of the chorus in JJF.

Date: May 4, 2008 11:28

Erik_Snow
Doxa
All I can see is an old actor doing minimal effort to get his standard number through - the number he has lost any spiritual connection some 30 years ago. This is my honest impression.
Would this clip be made by LA Forum himself? WOuldn't suprise me...congratulations on making your first upload!.

No, I just posted it. Mick sang on the clip. And someone else uploaded it.

Date: May 4, 2008 11:32

ROLLINGSTONE
I used to be a professional footballer. I'm not now. I'm 44 years old. Time Waits For No One.
Mick's still doing a great job, just like I'm doing a great job in our Sunday 7-a-side league.
Ageism. It's a form of discrimination...

Well, he is a singer and I think he sang some songs really well in 1997 (the indoor version of Last Time being a huge suprise, soulful, dark). I dont care about his age I wish he'd maybe do less concerts but with better versions of of their songs.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 4, 2008 11:52

I think Mick's abs are much firmer nowadays than back in '68.

Date: May 4, 2008 12:59

Hi Doxa. He sure had soul in 'That's How Strong My Love Is' from Live Licks. I never saw soul in JJF at any time, even circa 1968. It was just raw vocal nastiness and that he can always pull off.

Posted by: rover ()
Date: May 4, 2008 13:34

Sounded good in 68. Sounded good in 95, 03 and 06.Pointless to compare. If you don't like it - don't listen to it.

Date: May 4, 2008 14:37

Richard from Canada
Hi Doxa. He sure had soul in 'That's How Strong My Love Is' from Live Licks. I never saw soul in JJF at any time, even circa 1968. It was just raw vocal nastiness and that he can always pull off.

Yeah, I agree - "That's How Strong My Love Is" is one of the best vocals he has done in recent years. I see that a cousin of their version of "I Just Want To make Love To You" in 1989 tour - he does not even try to sing (or play ) as he did when he was in his early twenties (young, fresh, naturally energetic, angry, hungry, frustrated, whatever) - he really put some new interpretation (that also suits better for his age), and sounds convincing. He also delivered "Time Is On My side" in 1981/82 with that 'matured' interpretation - and I really like it. I just hope he could do more that than once a decade or something...

I think Keith is more a master nowadays in that department: his "You Got The Silver" is majestic. I think all of Mick's versions of not-so-familiar songs in SAL are quite forced sounding and without vitality or direction. Just 'sing-through, like some karaoke singer imitating Mick Jagger and trying to get the lyrics right. For a amoment "As Tears Go By" is almost reaching to the direction of "Time Is On my Side" of Hal Ashby movie, but Jagger seem to hesitate to really take that step and try to deliver something (without worring where it leaves him - he just haven't that self-esteem anymore)- and just ends up trying to keep his peter pan nasal in a key, and leaves a strange and confusing impression that what a hell is this 60-something trying to do. A wasted opportunity.

But what goes for their hard standard rockers, I think Jagger has faked his vocals in "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar" for ages now. It just a professional mimicker doing tricks but not really put any real effort. If Keith and Ronnie know how to play next to nothing but still give the impression that they are doing something, Jagger is even bigger free-rider in this sense. He really acts singing. I think theat SAL clip is a good indication of the current 'act'. But I think it is a really bad act - perhaps his worst as ever. He doesn't move me at all... well, not true: he almost makes me feel sorry for him for being such a cheap caricature of himself!

But let me say this: this is just an 'objective' judgement based solely on the musical values of the performance - there is no age-factors or other context issues put into consideration. I take Jagger and the rest still to be considered as music makers and performers, not an cultural historical institution one goes to see with hats and ears off, and concentrates just to show them respect - at less as long as they do ask so much money from the joy and chance of "seeing them". So the point is: as long as as The Stones decide to give an impression of a living and breathing, a real band, I will use a criteria suitable for that. Of course, part of me is just a 'deaf' fan who is just happy to see them - and is stupid enough to pay ridiculous amounts of money to see them 'one more time'...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 14:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: May 4, 2008 16:38

Mick cannot dance either, but that is not the point. If You are searching for perfectionist performers go for any other band but the Rolling Stones. The miracle of their 46 year career in a very tough business lies mainly in the fact that while all their musical skills are quite average they pretend to be the best band in the world. Mick and Keith´s selfconfidence or our lack of it is the explanation, why they are still standing center stage and not we.

Do the girls still scream, when you perform on stage? KR: Not on stage, but when I perform, yeah.

Date: May 4, 2008 18:35

StonesAustria
Mick cannot dance either, but that is not the point. If You are searching for perfectionist performers go for any other band but the Rolling Stones. The miracle of their 46 year career in a very tough business lies mainly in the fact that while all their musical skills are quite average they pretend to be the best band in the world. Mick and Keith´s selfconfidence or our lack of it is the explanation, why they are still standing center stage and not we.

I dont understand. Who are you responding to? Nobody wants them to be perfectionists.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 4, 2008 18:41

Stupid example. There's 40 years between the two. Pointless...

Compare Elvis doing Hound dog in 56 to 1976????

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 4, 2008 19:09

There's bound to be some changes in 30-40 years

Santa Clara Street, San Jose 1975.............................................................................Santa Clara Street, San Jose 2006

First Street at San Fernando, San Jose 1975....................................................................First Street at San Fernando, San Jose 2006

[www.bvnasj.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 20:20 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 4, 2008 20:18

The Rock and Roll Circus clip is overdubbed with a studio version of JJF. I like the SAL sound track and I like JJF. Of course Mick doesn't sound the same as he did in 68. But to me he is still a great performer with lot of energy and charisma. I am not writting to persuade anybody; if you don't like him that is fine with me because nobody is going to change my opinion of the Stones. If one day I believe that they are not good anymore I will acknowledge it myself.
Long live The RollingStones!
Mops

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 4, 2008 20:32

Awesome pics Erik. Some people is stuck in the past.

Date: May 4, 2008 20:34

georgelicks
Awesome pics Erik. Some people is stuck in the past.

Exactly, the band called The Rolling Stones.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home