Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1971 Marquee
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 1, 2008 21:54

Is there any chance that the film of the concert will get an official release - say DVD or home video.
Is it being held up because of "Abcko difficulties" or were the group unhappy with their performance.
I assume that the Director/Producer - I think it was the guy who made the Beatles Let It Be film isn't the problem (as with, to some extent the CS Blues film)

Re: 1971 Marquee
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2008 00:40

jlowe
Is there any chance that the film of the concert will get an official release - say DVD or home video.
Is it being held up because of "Abcko difficulties" or were the group unhappy with their performance.
I assume that the Director/Producer - I think it was the guy who made the Beatles Let It Be film isn't the problem (as with, to some extent the CS Blues film)

The Stones were unhappy with their performance, but theres no question of that alone being the factor. Its a 37 year old TV special and I cant imagine theyve ever even thought about as a possible release.

Let It Be and Rock n Roll Circus had the same director - Michael Lindsay-Hogg - not the Marquee special

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 2, 2008 01:21

It's the worst Stones show up unti that date, IMO.

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: May 2, 2008 01:43

Actually this concert was up for an official release in 1994. A friend of mine was involved in setting up the deal and had regular discussions with Chris Jagger.

The version that was being prepared was a different edit to the TV special shown in France and other European countries and was pretty much the same edit as the "longer version" with the false starts on "I Got the Blues". A five minute teaser was prepared (which has now been bootlegged), but the project was eventually nixed by older brother Mick.

The quality of the tape prepared for release was nothing short of awesome as anyone will attest who has seen the promo, which is now widely traded.

So yes it was up for release but didn't make it along with Aux Abbatoirs a few years later - same reason!

It was produced by Derek Randall and directed by Bruce Gowers. The best quality version currently available is on the French TV archives site INA. You pay a few Euros and then can download it. Not broadcast quality (320X240 MPEG 11100kbps Live Video Files) but still very, very good compared to the shoddy bootlegs we're all familiar with. There's some other really fabulous early Stones French TV transmissions archived there - well worth checking out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-02 01:45 by mikey.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: May 2, 2008 04:35

mikey
Actually this concert was up for an official release in 1994. A friend of mine was involved in setting up the deal and had regular discussions with Chris Jagger.

The version that was being prepared was a different edit to the TV special shown in France and other European countries and was pretty much the same edit as the "longer version" with the false starts on "I Got the Blues". A five minute teaser was prepared (which has now been bootlegged), but the project was eventually nixed by older brother Mick.

The quality of the tape prepared for release was nothing short of awesome as anyone will attest who has seen the promo, which is now widely traded.

So yes it was up for release but didn't make it along with Aux Abbatoirs a few years later - same reason!

It was produced by Derek Randall and directed by Bruce Gowers. The best quality version currently available is on the French TV archives site INA. You pay a few Euros and then can download it. Not broadcast quality (320X240 MPEG 11100kbps Live Video Files) but still very, very good compared to the shoddy bootlegs we're all familiar with. There's some other really fabulous early Stones French TV transmissions archived there - well worth checking out.

can't seriously believe Chris Jagger would be inviolved in the decision making process..........

Posted by: dph ()
Date: May 2, 2008 04:47

The version that was considered for release in the '90 began with a segment featuring... Chris Jagger! He walks down the street, filmed in 1992 I think, thinking he's going to the show at the Marquee, mentions Mick Taylor, etc. Then at the end he realizes it isn't 1971 anymore.

I like the show quite a bit but it's pretty obvious that the applause and crowd are both fake. Might have fooled people back in '71 but not'92.

The biggest problem is the sound. Whoever was manning the mixing board and recording console should have been fired.

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: May 2, 2008 08:50

Suprisingly or not it's true ERC6761, the same friend was also working with Roger Waters on sorting out finance on Pink Floyd's Wall concert in Berlin of 1990 and it's subsequent release to video of the concert film.

I don't think his work involves meeting up with rock luminaries so much these days but for a while he was doing a lot of it and both Chris Jagger and Roger Waters were people he saw on a regular basis.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 2, 2008 11:35

a piece of history !

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 2, 2008 12:24

dph
The version that was considered for release in the '90 began with a segment featuring... Chris Jagger! He walks down the street, filmed in 1992 I think, thinking he's going to the show at the Marquee, mentions Mick Taylor, etc. Then at the end he realizes it isn't 1971 anymore.

I like the show quite a bit but it's pretty obvious that the applause and crowd are both fake. Might have fooled people back in '71 but not'92.

The biggest problem is the sound. Whoever was manning the mixing board and recording console should have been fired.

It seems unbelievable that a group with the Stones reputation should have used people who couldn't do their job properly. Also the fact that it is 37 years old shouldn't make it irrelevant, after all RR Circus eventually turned up.(and I would think most people are grateful for that, even if the groups performance was less than great. Also, Nothing wrong with a bit of archive history!

Date: May 2, 2008 13:11

dph

Is this version with chris jagger released on dvd?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 2, 2008 13:25

steffiestones, it´s available on boot-DVD. Actually, Aux Abbatoirs was shown on swedish TV back in the day. wish I could get my hands on that copy smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 2, 2008 14:41

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 20:17 by UrbanSteel.

Date: May 2, 2008 18:52

thanks, i download this version but is the worst version i ever seen from this gig. I mean the screen quality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home